Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is it me or is enh shaman not really changing?

I see the only changes in enh is we will do less burst damage. I just see no real changes in rotation and no real pruning of spells.

Am I am missing anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sidenorna View Post
    I see the only changes in enh is we will do less burst damage. I just see no real changes in rotation and no real pruning of spells.

Am I am missing anything?
    Nope.....

I hope they haven't come to Shamans just yet.

In gameplay, notable changes are the msw perk, the made baseline t16 5p bonus with trippled proc chance, and the new EotE talent. All of which will make enh a less static. It holds some new burst potential in that regard in our regular dps execution. You're right though in that our dps cooldowns will be nerfed. A lot. Ascendence takes quit a hit, and blizz mentioned that they want to decrease FET's contribution to our overall damage as well. Plus StLT being gone.

Imo not bad for pve, and wouldn't be bad for pvp either IF they gave us better mobility/uptime to profit from it (which isn't the case). Enh will likely struggle for pvp uptime when compared to other melees such as warriors, druids or monks, just like they do now. Only that they will depend on uptime much more outside of ascendence now.

Blizz didn't get rid of a lot of stuff, yes. MT is one of the things that could've gone easily. UE probably too. As a simple buff it could've likely be integrated in some spells, like FT having a chance on spell cast to increase next fire spell damage, or WF procs having a 25% chance to grant the UE:WF effect...
    A long cd for an ability that does no damage and lasts for like 2 seconds feels very unrewarding. the UF talent then would simply add those effects to the ones baked into the imbues.

The space created for enh could be used for an actual new melee strike, or left open if enh turned towards gcd cap with the new focus on cd refreshes, more msws, and cd ignores. For ele it would be getting rid of something hardly used anyway. For resto I'm not sure.
    Bottom-line: UE feels borign as an ability for all specs, and doesn't pack awesome visuals either. There's simply nothing promising about it, and baking it into the imbues would safe a frequently used key space for something more exciting.

But they did get rid of RB/FB at least. Hallelujah
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    In gameplay, notable changes are the msw perk, the made baseline t16 5p bonus with trippled proc chance, and the new EotE talent. All of which will make enh a less static. It holds some new burst potential in that regard in our regular dps execution. You're right though in that our dps cooldowns will be nerfed. A lot. Ascendence takes quit a hit, and blizz mentioned that they want to decrease FET's contribution to our overall damage as well. Plus StLT being gone.
    The MSW perk if it goes as expected will make enha a lot more static. You will in most cases just treat maelstroms as a 5 proc on-off switch - it might as well be a single proc if that actually occurs. If it doesn't? Well then it changes nothing at all. Lowering our CD's while completely understandable and expected is not "changing" so much as "reverting".

The T16 4p bonus was never a huge change anyway - in single target all it does is possibly add extra uses of LL and possibly bump it's priority. Will likely just lead to less/zero gaps later on in the expansion and not much else.

The new EotE talent is interesting, although not exactly a huge change in gameplay. It's a pretty standard mechanic on executes anyway.

But they did get rid of RB/FB at least. Hallelujah
    I don't see how this is a good thing, at least in case of RB. It did not generally take action bar space so by their own logic there was no real reason to remove it, and it had it's uses that iirc we aren't getting back at all. I would've preferred if the rockbiter / stoneskin aspects of play became a cooldown like the rogue symbo growl - streamlined into something usable so we can actually soak an ability like pretty much every other class can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    I really hope they rework the aoe for enh shamans. It really feels like a "fuck, let's throw something together so they can aoe too" type of solution. It's also soooo frakking annoying when soloing old content and everything dies form 1 single flame shock. Yeah, stand around and wait for magma totem to slowly kill everything, sure I got nothing better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    The MSW perk if it goes as expected will make enha a lot more static. You will in most cases just treat maelstroms as a 5 proc on-off switch - it might as well be a single proc if that actually occurs. If it doesn't? Well then it changes nothing at all. Lowering our CD's while completely understandable and expected is not "changing" so much as "reverting".
    With 100% extra damage through casts, msw will likely rise in priroty, hence haste rising in priority as well. MSW currently is our only dps aspect that notably changes through more haste, outside of autohits and procs from those auto hits. If you mean with more static that people may prefer waiting till 5 stacks, then that's a 50/50 story, I guess. They could/should allow stacking to 7-10 stacks, to reduce the amount of wasted stacks, imo.

The T16 4p bonus was never a huge change anyway - in single target all it does is possibly add extra uses of LL and possibly bump it's priority. Will likely just lead to less/zero gaps later on in the expansion and not much else.
    Well, it's rather high prio, right? a 15% chance is pretty high, with just one add and spreading FS tick that'd be 30% chance every two seconds already, pretty damn good, I'd think. Being able to spam a decent melee strike multiple times is something good, right? Also there is pvp to consider, where it WOULD be nice as well for burst, if not for low mobility.
    The new EotE talent is interesting, although not exactly a huge change in gameplay. It's a pretty standard mechanic on executes anyway.
    Still, we all know that double Storm Strikes are awesome, right? Also I didn't say huge, bot noteable. They ARE changes to how they play, and they will also benefit from haste. Something like holy power I would've prefered, but it's better than nothing.

I don't see how this is a good thing, at least in case of RB. It did not generally take action bar space so by their own logic there was no real reason to remove it
    Well, an ability existing pretty much means it is meant to be used. By blizz removing the hardly used imbued, we do not have to worry about clunky imbue/weapon swaps in pvp or where ever to scrap together some utility. BLizz meanwhile wont be able to point on them and tell us that we have utility everywhere, we just have to use it. With the big sacrifice-to-use UF:RB/FB gone, blizz is more likely (though still not very likely, let's face sad reality) to balance us around the stuff we actually have, and haven't.
    A good example for this is the UE sprint perk. It is horrible in how weak it is, but we got it because the UF:FB sprint, as rarely as it was made use of in pvp, became unavaiable, and blizz obviously taking it into consideration in terms of shaman mobility.

...and it had it's uses that iirc we aren't getting back at all.
    Probably. Shaman survivability requiring a buff shouldn't be justifying keeping liabilities around though. They could add the UF:RB effect to ES for example, in a weaker form, considering it lost the weakened blows effect and will likely not used much from then on.

I would've preferred if the rockbiter / stoneskin aspects of play became a cooldown like the rogue symbo growl - streamlined into something usable so we can actually soak an ability like pretty much every other class can.
    I can only agree.
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    I really hope they rework the aoe for enh shamans. It really feels like a "fuck, let's throw something together so they can aoe too" type of solution. It's also soooo frakking annoying when soloing old content and everything dies form 1 single flame shock. Yeah, stand around and wait for magma totem to slowly kill everything, sure I got nothing better to do.
    What you said in bold is what this entire class feels like.

they should just make mw5 chain lightning procs set people on fire with flame shock and stop fucking around with the stupid lava lash spreads fire idea.

lightning can also set things on fire.

With 100% extra damage through casts, msw will likely rise in priroty, hence haste rising in priority as well. MSW currently is our only dps aspect that notably changes through more haste, outside of autohits and procs from those auto hits. If you mean with more static that people may prefer waiting till 5 stacks, then that's a 50/50 story, I guess. They could/should allow stacking to 7-10 stacks, to reduce the amount of wasted stacks, imo.
    Generally lightning bolt is highest rotational priority already - the damage increase per stack means you want to if possible use it at highest stacks to gain the most benefit, but even if you don't the priority will likely be unchanged in this regard. Unless lightning bolt does huge huge damage compared to our other abilities (it isn't really close yet, 20-80% won't change that unless they decide to make our melee strikes noticeably weaker)

Lava Lash could edge out stormstrike if the increase proc turns out reliable, but switching LL and SS isn't really a huge change. On AoE we're already gcd capped through the ass with the FN's so it doesn't "change" much other than a (slightly) faster rampup there. The damage between these 2 and their relationship tends to change expansion to expansion, but switching a 10 sec + 15% reset chance with an 8 second isn't much of a gameplay change unless you get noticeably unlucky or lucky.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSW LB's become slightly depreciated below 4 stacks in favour of melee attacks when they tweak the numbers, bringing us basically back to 4.3, weak cd's and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    No shaman spec gets mechanic changes, QoL improvements or new abilities to make up for losing LB on the move. It's already confirmed by Celestalon on Twitter that shaman won't get shot this expansion, no matter how much we need it. They rather spend time reworking druids for the fifths time.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    No shaman spec gets mechanic changes, QoL improvements or new abilities to make up for losing LB on the move. It's already confirmed by Celestalon on Twitter that shaman won't get shot this expansion, no matter how much we need it. They rather spend time reworking druids for the fifths time.
    Well too be fair I think the only class besides shaman to have less retooling than shaman is rogue. The monk feels like it has had more retooling.

Deleted
    I only play warlock and shaman at max level and the difference is quite large, I know locks got a huge makeover for MOP and due to that the class is one of the 'freshest'. Each of the 3 specs there feels extremely unique and different from the others, and plays differently too (3 different resources and mechanics in soul shards, burning embers and demonic fury).

Shaman feels like it's been on the same path since vanilla basically, add a spell here, throw a band-aid there and keep it moving. It doesn't have any special 'gimmick' or so like any of the 3 warlock specks (or the new druid balance pendulum thingy), it's just regular spells and cast the 1 that does the most damage that isnt on cd ad infinitum.

Seriously what's the biggest change been since the beginning? Going from 2h to dw or something like that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    they should just make mw5 chain lightning procs set people on fire with flame shock and stop fucking around with the stupid lava lash spreads fire idea.

lightning can also set things on fire.
    You may be onto something here... but I think that adds just as much spec overlapping than we want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyarai View Post
    Probably the CDs in MoP to be honest. In Cataclysm we had no worthwhile CDs, our only one being feral spirit (which was so bad it was at the bottom of our priority when it was up).

It was meant to be a band-aid fix again, actually giving us some CDs to use as shaman as a whole lacked CDs back then (spirit link was only added as another band-aid style fix). However, they didn't anticipate how insanely our CDs scaled with mastery, so we ended up going from a straight line DPS class to the most CD-reliant class in the game. However, it never really changed the playstyle of Enhancement, we just had to think about CDs on top, but the rotation remained the same.
    At least in Cata, I could PvP worth a damn. Going head-to-head against Warriors because of Ghost Wolf and the +15% healing received talent in the Restoration tree and losing only to Feral Druids meant I actually felt like a melee. Not a weak melee-wizard. :P

We might not have had cooldowns, but I liked the PvP aspect of Enhancement a lot more back then.

I've been saying that an "Electrical Fire" perk where Chain Lightning spreads Flame Shock would be an improvement, since it doesn't tie your AOE spread to a 10 second cooldown.

The MSW perk seems aimed at taking out LB below 5 MSW stacks, which is unfortunate. It's actually an opportunity to demonstrate skill.

They're also making an effort to make Earth Elemental Totem not viable for DPS, and then giving us Storm Elemental Totem as an option. I think it's a bad choice. We shouldn't be a pet class.
    Hekili of <Turbo Cyborg Ninjas>
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon for Shamans, Paladins, Monks, and Hunters.

User Guides:
    Getting Started with Hekili
    Starting from SimulationCraft (How to Import SimC APLs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hekili View Post
    I've been saying that an "Electrical Fire" perk where Chain Lightning spreads Flame Shock would be an improvement, since it doesn't tie your AOE spread to a 10 second cooldown.

The MSW perk seems aimed at taking out LB below 5 MSW stacks, which is unfortunate. It's actually an opportunity to demonstrate skill.

They're also making an effort to make Earth Elemental Totem not viable for DPS, and then giving us Storm Elemental Totem as an option. I think it's a bad choice. We shouldn't be a pet class.
    Interesting idea with the electrical fire. Sounds neat

The msw perk according to blizz isn't aimed at that though. They think it is a good flavour. Personally, I dislike it, and have had never hard casted during early cata (when did the whole thing start btw, my sub ran out the day firelands released). With LB on move gone, having to msw LB with less than 4 charges feels very punishing, even more so than having to hardcast as a melee to begin with.

Just like you, I was baffled by the EET/SET thing.
    It's blizz logic:
    You're not a pet class => here you go, 3rd/4th pet.
    You're not supposed to tank => there you go, taunts, tank pets, extra threat, etc.

You may be onto something here... but I think that adds just as much spec overlapping than we want.
    Right about that. Totally forgot about that part. Then again, we already use CL, and it would be a more likely addition than the stuff I fantasize about.
    Talking about fantasising...:

The best thing would be a big rework on the base, and some kind of sub-recource for all specs.
    1) As enhance, it would be maybe an idea to get rid of shock usage.
    - The flame shock dot could be made a proc from LL itself, since the dot aspect is all we need FS really for, aoe-wise and LL-reset-wise. LL could splash the dots on usage, saving us a gcd.
    - ES has no synergy anyway except benefitting from Stormstrike.
    - Leaves Frost Shock, which isn't supposed to be used in pve also.

Shocks do not really benefit enhance from a ranged POV much. They hardly deal damage damage as enh and feel boring as they aren't really "enhancy". They also take up two keys/actionbar slots. Frost Shock could remain for pvp, and have it's damage removed completely, and be off the shared cd for ele.

2) For shamans in general, they should get rid of UE.

It has a high cd and doesn't deal any damage. ELE couldn't put it to much use anyway, and in WoD for enh it'll feel even less rewarding to use. I understand why they removed the damage aspects, but that's how it is. Put the UE effects into the actual imbue procs, and put like a 10sec internal cd with 50% proc chance on cast, and 25% proc chance on hit on it or something.

With Shocks and UE gone for enh, we'd have a lot more room for new abilities, and it would be cool if we saw some more melee action going on. With SB turning WS and Static Shock being gone, there'll be an aweful lack of Lightning except for LB/CL, so maybe make SS nature damage baseline. Our weapons are engulfed in lightning upon usage anyway, so I see no logic there.

3) Ascendence meanwhile could have the "ignores armor" aspect removed. If base SS were nature/lightning, it would be ignoring armor anyway. Ascendence would then be a pure utility spell, and only be used for quasi-gap closing instead of damage. The cooldown could be reduced significantly, to like, 20-30 seconds and a shorter duration, to retain blizzard's plan for our kind of mobility. Ascendence will also turn EB into a ranged attack and turn into a "chromatic" Ascendent when under the influence of Elemental Equilibrium (to get this, read further )

4) Enhance could get two new melee strikes. An earth strike dealing physical damage and a frost one dealing frost damage. Enhance would have more of a melee feeling AS WELL AS more a master of the four elements feeling.

5) The four elements' melee strikes: Stormstrike, Lava Lash, Rock Fist and Icicle Impaler.
    Rock Fist (new): Cover the fist holding your main hand weapon in solid rock, smashing your enemy with the wrath of mother earth. (possible animation: regular 1h main hand special animation (example: male troll makes a spinning jump strike)). Rock fist cannot be blocked or parried, but dodged/resisted etc.
    Icicle Impaler (new): (both forearms are covered by giant icicles (one pointy end leaves the elbows, like fists of fury, the other leaves the fists, like a predator blade), which are (in a mutilate animation) trust into your enemy). Icicle Impaler aims for weaknesses on heavily wounded targets, increasing it's damage and range against those, shooting icicles at the enemy.

6) New mastery AND recource: Elemental Equilibrium
    You collect charges for every element with your elemental based attacks. Upon having full charges on everything, you enter a state of Elemental Equilibrium. Cooldowns and proc chances of the individual damage sources are aranged in a way that attaining EE is made possible. Enhance's skill as a melee will rely on juggling the elements well to aid them in melee combat.

Elemental Equilibrium: Whenever you reconcile the strife of the elements within you, you are granted the privilege of focusing all their power into one attack: Elemental Blast (name suggestions otherwise welcome ). Elemental Blast will be only avaiable as long as Elemental Equilibrium is up. Entering EE will refresh the cooldown of all your melee strikes. Damage range of EB should be high enough to make EE a goal, but not op.
    The duration of EE is determined by mastery.

Elemental Blast: The shaman unleashes an all encompassing sphere, filled with the volatile energy of the elements. Elemental Blast will take the place of all your four melee strikes as well as msw LBs, existing on the original seperate cooldowns which will be refreshed when EE procs.
    EE animation: Stormstrike with a huge ball of the four elements howering between the weapons/hands dealing elemental damage being smashed (thrown with ascendence msw:lb) into your enemy.

Well...fantasising, as I said . Dunno if it could be made to work, but imo it would be soooo amazing. Enhancement would be a fitting spec name again, since we enhance ourselves with the elements.
    I'm not sure about mastery though...increasing the duration seems useful, but sounds boring. Maybe I can come up with somethng different
    Last edited by Omanley; 2014-06-01 at 09:03 AM.

Deleted
    I really like the sound of that, a lot of classes have secondary resources and something with keeping the 4 elements in balance would be perfect for us. I can also see us still being the super bursty class but doing it in burn modes instead of just activating ascendance (which is another painfully obvious bandaid spell). We would work up this elemental balance and then be granted perfect balance which with the aid of the 4 elements allows us to enter elemental fury or something (basically a huge dump spell like ascendance).

Interesting idea with the electrical fire. Sounds neat

The msw perk according to blizz isn't aimed at that though. They think it is a good flavour. Personally, I dislike it, and have had never hard casted during early cata (when did the whole thing start btw, my sub ran out the day firelands released). With LB on move gone, having to msw LB with less than 4 charges feels very punishing, even more so than having to hardcast as a melee to begin with.
    Hardcasting while needing to move would be kinda crappy. I pitched a new Lightning spell for Enhancement that would basically be a shorter cone version of Lei Shen's Lightning Lash. If built similarly to Fists of Fury, it could do damage to your target (replacing LB) and then a damage split amongst enemies in the cone (replacing CL). Maybe even a ground effect like Lei Shen's.

The best thing would be a big rework on the base, and some kind of sub-recource for all specs.
    Not in WoD. Honestly, I hope they give up on the crappy totem mechanics we have now at some point (totems shouldn't be elemental-based, they should be ancestral magic) and let us charge pools of elemental energy that we can meaningfully use to enhance our abilities.

But then again, be careful what you wish for. Enhance is nice now. It'd suck to see it broken.

1) As enhance, it would be maybe an idea to get rid of shock usage.
    - The flame shock dot could be made a proc from LL itself, since the dot aspect is all we need FS really for, aoe-wise and LL-reset-wise. LL could splash the dots on usage, saving us a gcd.
    - ES has no synergy anyway except benefitting from Stormstrike.
    - Leaves Frost Shock, which isn't supposed to be used in pve also.
    I think they need to make shocks more meaningful, not pull them from our spec. I had an idea where each shock had an active and passive effect, and they had independent cooldowns. When Frost Shock is off cooldown, perhaps you'd have an aura that would slow attackers. When you use it, that aura fades until it comes back on CD, and it would actually freeze (root) them. You can come up with a variant for each element, and you're playing with the enhancing aspect of the spec.

2) For shamans in general, they should get rid of UE.
    They need to make it useful. If shocks were changed like I described, maybe it would just supercharge your next shock spell. So the Frost Shock example would be -- off-CD: 30% snare to attackers, cast: 70% snare to attackers, UE-cast: 70% snare + freeze. Flame Shock could be -- off-CD: 30% chance to cauterize a DoT, making a tick heal rather than hurt, cast: damage + DoT, UE-cast: damage + DoT (2 stacks? 3?).

We do need some buttons to push. Unleash Elements was a neat concept, but it's actually pretty rigid since we're being shoehorned into two specific weapon imbues, it does no damage, and it doesn't do enough to enhance our toolkit. The only decision-making it adds right now is whether to consume the buff with Flame Shock or whether you can use it on a Fire Nova (which is only for AOE phases). I watch my Unleash Flame buff fall off constantly, since I only need it once every 25 seconds or so when I refresh Flame Shock.

3) Ascendence meanwhile could have the "ignores armor" aspect removed. If base SS were nature/lightning, it would be ignoring armor anyway. Ascendence would then be a pure utility spell, and only be used for quasi-gap closing instead of damage. The cooldown could be reduced significantly, to like, 20-30 seconds and a shorter duration, to retain blizzard's plan for our kind of mobility. Ascendence will also turn EB into a ranged attack and turn into a "chromatic" Ascendent when under the influence of Elemental Equilibrium (to get this, read further )
    It's already switching to wind-based physical damage, so it won't benefit from our existing mastery. So it bypasses armor, but isn't "nature" damage.

4) Enhance could get two new melee strikes. An earth strike dealing physical damage and a frost one dealing frost damage. Enhance would have more of a melee feeling AS WELL AS more a master of the four elements feeling.
    These are just shocks with a more limited range. We're not really that mobile; I'd rather have meaningful shocks than new melee attacks.

Your mastery idea is worth exploring. It makes me think of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wouldn't mind if our Ascendance or Mastery involved something similar to the master of all four elements.
    Hekili of <Turbo Cyborg Ninjas>
    Author, Hekili, a priority helper addon for Shamans, Paladins, Monks, and Hunters.

User Guides:
    Getting Started with Hekili
    Starting from SimulationCraft (How to Import SimC APLs)

Quote Originally Posted by Hekili View Post
    Not in WoD. Honestly, I hope they give up on the crappy totem mechanics we have now at some point (totems shouldn't be elemental-based, they should be ancestral magic) and let us charge pools of elemental energy that we can meaningfully use to enhance our abilities.
    I am one of those hoping the elemental restrictions being gone (dunno if you mean the same), but yeah: They are basically primal, ancestral tools from our fore fathers helping us with harnessing spiritual power, so I'd agree on that one. Not sure why you're against a reqork in WoD though. Or do you mean with "Not in WoD" that it's simply not gonna happen? That's a given. It'll never happen actually. Shamans haven been outdated since Wotlk, and are basically the last class left requiring a big rework for quite a while. Not gonna change in the future anyway, looking at blizz's igonrant responses (why would you want gw to be on par with other's mobility, duh).

But then again, be careful what you wish for. Enhance is nice now. It'd suck to see it broken.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Then again, they introduced nice sub recources for warlocks, rets, implement a second one for balance right now, implemented chi for monks and runes+rp for dks and focus for hunters. I'd say they have the capabilities to make such an introduction work. Then again, I'd not put it past them to screw it up for shamans, just because.
    I think they need to make shocks more meaningful, not pull them from our spec....They need to make it(UE) useful. If shocks were changed like I described
    This is where tastes differ, I guess. TBH I just dont like shocks/UE as enh, period. A passive effect and them enhancing each other, it would just put me off, really. It is something that could be just as well implemented for elemental, just to show you how little they have to do with enhance as abilities/mechanics.

We do need some buttons to push.
    Covered by my points following after that

It's already switching to wind-based physical damage, so it won't benefit from our existing mastery. So it bypasses armor, but isn't "nature" damage.
    I am not sure right now wether or not auto hits with blizz's new Ascendence would ignore armor, but I believe they do. This would also be gone, and be the last necessary step to make Ascendence utility only. The point in this is that Asc can be much more often avaiable than now, so we can continue hitting the enemy for a short while when having to run out/back in pve, or for the times inbetween gap closing to be able to deal damage until we are in range to do that w/o Ascendence.

These are just shocks with a more limited range. We're not really that mobile; I'd rather have meaningful shocks than new melee attacks.
    Okay, sorry, but that is just silly. You might just as well label SS and LL shocks with limited range. And the new Ascendence would give us mobility to make them much more applicable.

Your mastery idea is worth exploring. It makes me think of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I wouldn't mind if our Ascendance or Mastery involved something similar to the master of all four elements.
    Thank you A big part for that is that we'd need four elemental damage sources to work for that, and melee strikes just made more sense than Earth/Frost Shock.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    This. So much this.

With all the on-demand AoE available, we get the shaft with the horrible 'spread flame shock kk'' mechanic. Ugh.