Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I stopped caring, when I found DotA 2.

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    This might be hard to grasp but sometimes people's likes and interests change over time. It wasn't an insult to anyone.
    It's like in that Celestalon thread, people are way too fucking sensitive and take offense to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by crackleslap View Post
    I stopped caring, when I found DotA 2.
    I'm hoping for good things for HotS. I want a MOBA I can enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It's not hard to grasp,
    And yet you still don't get it. Maturity and age has nothing to do with it.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I'm not taking offensive to anything. I'm just pointing out that his reply isn't always the case.
    Context is sometimes hard to read. The "" threw me off. I do apologize.

Yeah I've been there for a while. Unsubbed atm. Not sure if I'm finding it difficult to get excited about WoW or just gaming in general.

My younger self would be ashamed ; _ ;
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Then please, explain to me, how if I stop playing WoW at (let's say 32), it's only because I "grew up" and not some other reason?
    Why would I do that when it wasn't my point? Imagine he said "grew out of" instead "grew up" and then maybe you'll get the point of his statement. Still doesn't make what he said true but at least you'd be arguing with what he actually meant.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenway View Post
    WoW lost a lot of its charm a while ago but there's no better game to switch to so we're just sorta stuck with this one. Maybe we did just grow up. That's just my guess.

Something I did notice though, is that there are still a TON of people hooked on this game. They eat up whatever Blizzard gives them without a thought. Buying store mounts and tacky helmets just because it is a Blizzard product. Praising Blizzard for virtually everything they do. I would suggest trying to wake up the huge Blizzdrone masses but yeah right that's never gonna happen.

I think it has more to do with the culture of the player, they keep hanging on hoping for changes to some other time, yet they get disappointed when it ultimately does not get delivered. They keep playing and hoping and hoping for the next content patch or expansion to deliver a game they once knew that is longer there. So many are looking at this expansion and hoping what they see is a return back to a time where they thought the game was right for them to play, sadly they are going to get very disappointed, because you simply cannot go back home again no matter what content they put in the game.

The game has done a major shift from what it was in BC and even the first part of Wrath. Realm, Guild structure, and mostly the people have changed from those that play back then. Realms and guilds (at least the 3 I was on during those times) policed the realm and kept people in line or you were simply excluded from group play for cheating, ninja looting, for a whole slew of things. Guilds and their leader structure control the guild population those that had the capacity to raid or pvp got to do those things the rest got to do dungeons, bg's, quest, and help support the guild whatever else. When people talk about the good old days, it was not just the content that was a challenge, being part of a guild was too. I saw way more people leave the guilds I was in then joined, they simply did not want to follow the rules that were set down.

This does not happen on a wider scale as it used too, their are a few guilds out there that have survive over time and still have the same structure in place today. But like everything else in this game Blizzard did the whole leveling to 25 and gave perks with them, this completely changed what being part of a true guild even meant back in the day. Now the masses are going to guild for the perks. Ever wonder why Blizzard stop with the leveling and the perks? They knew the screwed up. The whole group will travel is the only thing that got removed, it altered game play, but not on the level that the 25 level perk concept did. This featured changed guilds completely from what they are and were. They had their own power and social structure in place and the realm over all was for the better for it to the many, not the few. It kept people in line, all the crap people do now would have simply been no tolerated back then.

So to those long for a better time, it was not just the content that made your experience better, it was your guild and other guilds that made realm a better place. Another thing that effected play was the whole cross realming of things. It literally step on the soul of the realm, now Blizzard is going one step further they are going to make normal raiding and whatever else to try to recapture what once was. They imploded the guild structure and now they are finishing off the realms.

One really does not have to look far to wonder why they game is in the state it is today, but sadly many just keep putting their heads in the sand and think it about making the content a bit harder. Well you people are in a complete fantasy land with Blizzard if you think that is the fix. It would take a complete shift the other way for at least 2 expansions to get the game back to where it was socially structure was in BC.

LFD and LFR are examples of what has happened long term to this game. By x-realming the rest just makes it smaller circle of people playing together, it does nothing to fix the overall problems that have been allowed to fester in this game for so long. Just more window dressing and slapping more lip gloss on a massive toxic pig.
    Last edited by Apexis; 2014-05-31 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But he didn't
    it's not your comment so you don't know what he meant or what he really meant to say.
    How is such a lack of self awareness even possible?
    Anyway, I was just trying to clear up what seemed to be a misunderstanding. I don't care enough about this to continue this pointless conversation.

The fiddly minutiae of the game, the class mechanics and stuff, I really don't care about anymore. I still have interest in the developing story of the game and its lore, even if I'm not going to be playing. Direction changes in game design interest me in general, though again the intricacies don't really concern me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, it wasn't your post, so don't try to explain to me what he meant to say.
    This goes both ways. Maybe I'm wrong, it's certainly possible, but since we don't know it seems we'll just have to disagree on what he really meant. Regardless, I think we can agree that claiming it's the only reason is bullshit no matter how they meant it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetia View Post
    Its called growing up, this is just a videogame after all.

Yes, it called growing up, but I completely understand where he is coming from. I was long past 30 when I started to play in BC, so I guess in my case it's called getting older. Blizzard has done a wonderful job of making people hang by a thread of the years. They even have many thinking that what they are creating in WoD is something that resembled a game they once knew, at least they are hoping for that anyway. To get the game back to BC, Blizzard would have to do more that change the content, they have to completely transform the community.

The LFR, should have finally opened their eyes to the social structure they now have in place in this game, if it did not then all they are doing is slapping more lip gloss on the toxic pig. It was not just the content that was a challenge back then, the whole dynamic and structure of the game was different then. People keep focusing on the wrong thing, it was not just the content that was challenge and engaging, It was being part of a guild and a realm that compete and played with one another that truly made the game special, the content was the icing on the top and the prestige that came from doing that content. This still happens on a much smaller scale now, some guilds have been able to hold on to the changes, but other just folded and even realms that were once the pride of this game have been reduced in both numbers and commitment to the realm.

Yea, it's about growing up and yes it is a video game, but it has also been reduce to a very toxic environment, of its former self.

I've had similar thoughts about the video game industry as a whole.

There's too many "brown shooters" (CoD, BF, etc) that are all browns and greys and "ultra-realistic" and they are all just FPS games. For RPGs, the genre I once loved, they're trying to turn them all into more action-y games. Gone are the days you took the time to use strategy for a difficult boss battle, in are the days when every stinking new RPG is full-time full-motion with RPG elements, basically Action/Adventure Games with some XP and equipment tacked on. I miss the days when the ATB system in games like FF4 and FF6 were the "in thing". Those games were fun. Even turn-based games, heck I loved FFX's battle system.

But then came 12 where you could let the game play itself if you set the gambit system up properly (wtf? who wants to sit there and do almost nothing while the game plays itself?) and they made it almost full-time action. And I've seen some footage of FF15 coming up and it looks somewhat like a DMC or the newest Castlevania games with some extra stats tacked on.

The few genres that do keep true to themselves are not updated anywhere near frequently enough (we need another TES-like Fallout! Or, heck, a TES game that is actually a true TES game and not that MMO abomination that claims to be TES game), or are on consoles that do not have nearly enough games for me to want to plop down $400 for a console.

I remember when Consoles were more like $150-200. When consoles weren't trying to compete with PCs (they never will because PCs are always changing while a console needs to be good enough to last 2-3 years which doesn't happen in today's computing world). The sole exception to this is the Wii (and now Wii-U), which just does its own thing while everybody else tries to fight over who gets to run what game. Sony and Xbox are both trying to be a "PC in a fancy box" (that's basically what they are -- a PC in a fancy box with a proprietary OS/BIOS) while being weaker than an actual gaming PC today, not to mention an average gaming PC a couple years from now.

So outside of some Indie games and the occasional Triple-A title like TES (again, ignoring that MMO abomination), Fallout, and other similar games and maybe a Wii-U might get at some point... very few good games are actually coming out that I'm interested in. Thank God for WoW, FFXI/FFXIV, and Warframe because I really wouldn't know what to do these days, since most Indie games aren't all that long (they're fun but short).

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it called growing up, but I completely understand where he is coming from. I was long past 30 when I started to play in BC, so I guess in my case it's called getting older. Blizzard has done a wonderful job of making people hang by a thread of the years.
    One of the major beefs I have with WoW is the fact they are adding "MOAR TWITCH GAMEPLAY!"

I'm 34 and my reaction times are slowly but surely getting slower. I hate the Yaungol on Timeless Isle, for example. If you screw up just once, you're dead. They have a ~2s cast, and with latency and the time it takes you to move and the fact the graphics do not always line up with the actual AoE.... you have a very small margin of error, and you have to dodge one of these every 3-4 seconds and they have enough health to take 60-90 seconds to kill one of them.

I hate this direction of solo content being "one hit and you are almost dead". I didn't mind it Too much with the Pandarian Rares, because those were RARES. They dropped decent stuff for the tier they were introduced in. Heck, the goodie bags are still OK if you want crafting mats and some of them have nice toys (Aqua Jewel!).

But I'm starting to dislike your average questing mobs having such attacks, too. Rares, ok sure. Bosses? Sure, that's fine. Normal Questing Mobs? Eh, can we stop with this already?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    It's like in that Celestalon thread, people are way too fucking sensitive and take offense to everything.
    Well that is cultural shift in what we have in society today. Men were told not long ago to be more caring and sensitive, so just to it literally. So many get so butt hurt when some one does not like who they are and what they stand for. They also think people should be forced into support them. We have a slew of people that think they government should provide everything for them. If we have these things in society, how could one not know or see it would be the same way in a video game. This really got completely off the topic of thread and is my opinion. I think many better get used to this stuff, because given the current path it is only going to get worse.

Deleted
    orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs

too many orcs

A few games over the last few years like dark souls, the last of us and the walking dead kind of made me reflect on how little i've enjoyed the quality of blizard games over the last half a decade if not moreso. Just seem more like souless brand exercises to reap the money harvest than fresh new ideas. Hearthstone kind of brought a little bit of that back because it was just a small team making something just because, but i think wrath of the lich king was the last big blizzard release that didnt leave me disspointed more than entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixdraw View Post
    Well that is cultural shift in what we have in society today. Men were told not long ago to be more caring and sensitive, so just to it literally. So many get so butt hurt when some one does not like who they are and what they stand for. They also think people should be forced into support them. We have a slew of people that think they government should provide everything for them. If we have these things in society, how could one not know or see it would be the same way in a video game. This really got completely off the topic of thread and is my opinion. I think many better get used to this stuff, because given the current path it is only going to get worse.
    To be fair, I don't think they were actually offended. Me and the other person just took their reply the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post

too many orcs
    Impossible

Quote Originally Posted by ripslyme View Post
    orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs orcs

too many orcs
    At least it ain't *bleeeeep*ing trolls.

But give Blizz time, I get Patch 6.2 will be "THE RESURRECTION OF THE ZANDA......"

No wait, it'll be "THE COMING OF THE DRAENANI!" A whole new tribe YOU NEVER KNEW YET! Because, we can't have an expansion without more *bleeep*ing trolls. They'll probably rationalize this by saying a few Zandalari dove into the portal before you killed them all at Thunder Isle! Or some BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetia View Post
    Its called growing up, this is just a videogame after all.
    No it's not, that implies that anyone still feeling strongly about the game isn't an adult. It's called becoming jaded. Happens to people regardless of age, and to others it never happens. Duh.

I'm finding myself to very slowing lose interest. And the reason is because WoW (IMO) went to a very social game, where you relied on each other to advanced/succeed, to what it is now where you can be a solo hero. Don't get me wrong, there are times when I like to do stuff by myself, but I think in and Mmo style game, it should be about needing each other.

I mostly blame LFR and LFD for this.
    Without LFR/LFD though, sitting in /2 or /4 spamming "LFG for _____" is not very fun and a LOT of players have a lot less time for WoW and games in general these days because of the horrible economy IRL forcing people to work more hours. I can't fit a Guild Raiding Schedule which is why I'm not in a Raiding Guild.

But yet I don't want to be excluded from content like I was in TBC and Wrath.

LFD and LFR are necessary for the game's survival. WoW did OK without these in the past, but that was before the IRL economy took a dump.