Can an account be recovered without a photo ID?

My friend got his account from some guy like 5 years ago and he's been playing on it ever since. He is paranoid that he wont be able to recover his account in case it ever gets hacked. He has:

Original WoW CD case
    Original Cataclysm CD case
    Original MoP CD case
    TBC Key ( it was purchased digitally)
    secret question answer

Is all this info enough to ever recover his account if need be?

if you have Original WoW CD KEY you can recover account no matter name password everything else

I'm not going to swear to this, but I believe one of the options for account recovery was the CD keys.
    At least, I think my ex had to use that method once, or my friend did, I forget.
    Possibly both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    but I believe one of the options for account recovery was the CD keys.
    Indeed. Should be possible.

I wonder if it's really a matter of "if he gets hacked" or more like "if the original owner with the ID claims it back", though.

I've used my TBC key when I've lost my authenticator before. Any CD key is fine.Tell your friend to stop being a baby.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

I had an account made back when TBC was put out. I gave up playing wow befor my first deployment, now I am back.

About 8 months ago I called to see if I could get my account back. See as how I forgot everything.

A few days before I called them I get everything set up as if I were going to open a checking account. I got old bank statments, ID, and other stuff that can prove that it is me.

So I called up and got a rep, I had to answer about 40 question ( Old purchaser dates / Addresses and stuff) but i did not need the CD key. Just lots of info
    what

Passport had expired so I used my birth certificate once to get my autehnticator removed after I messed up.

God I already like this community .

I went to Blizz official forums and it was full of people telling me he's gonna get banned "CUZ ITZ AGAINST TOS HERP DERP". Like he doesn't know that already like seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zivlaks View Post
    My friend got his account from some guy like 5 years ago and he's been playing on it ever since. He is paranoid that he wont be able to recover his account in case it ever gets hacked. He has:

Original WoW CD case
    Original Cataclysm CD case
    Original MoP CD case
    TBC Key ( it was purchased digitally)
    secret question answer

Is all this info enough to ever recover his account if need be?

Authenticator?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    In theory it should be enough... However the original owner might be able to as well. Photo ID trumps CD Key.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    In theory it should be enough... However the original owner might be able to as well. Photo ID trumps CD Key.
    This is what I meant with
    I wonder if it's really a matter of "if he gets hacked" or more like "if the original owner with the ID claims it back", though.
    If someone with an ID tries to get it back, they will be able to. Definitely.

As I said he's already been playing on the account for 5 years so no one is trying to get it back obviously. He's just afraid cos of random hacks etc.

In a pinch, a credit or debit card can be used if it's been used to pay for a sub or one of the character or account services.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Thanks a lot guys. I guess everything is fine and I can tell him to just chill then

15+ Year Old Account
    Moral of the story: don't buy/trade accounts.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Wait, I have one more thing to add, I quickly read the OP last time, now I see exactly what you said.

My friend that I spoke of before actually had the same exact thing, his account was his friend's who quit. I forget what the exact issue was, all I remember was he got the account fixed, and he used the secret question answer which was pretty funny he had to say it to them, because it was something really racist for some odd reason.

But yeah, he should be able to get it back if anything happens, as long as he doesn't tell them he's not the original owner, I don't think that would go down well.

Quote Originally Posted by zivlaks View Post
    God I already like this community .

I went to Blizz official forums and it was full of people telling me he's gonna get banned "CUZ ITZ AGAINST TOS HERP DERP". Like he doesn't know that already like seriously.
    Thats official forums for you. They're even shittier than mmoc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Moral of the story: don't buy/trade accounts.
    That makes too much sense though.