Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why would Blizzard ban bots? They're a source of subscription money... and by the looks of it, a big one at that. It's the same argument for why multi-boxing is still fine.

Bots in AV/IoC = less Horde desire to play AV/IoC
    Less Horde desire to play AV/IoC = longer queue times
    Longer queue times = more time spent playing
    More time spent playing = more resubs
    More resubs = $$$
    Bots in AV/IoC = $$$

Unless you play AV/IoC on Horde during peak hours, there is little to no chance of winning them. Queuing into them on Ally though is so awesome since 90% of the time it's a cake walk win.

Because you're sitting there manually watching your one BG, Blizzard is trying to catch thousands of bots across hundreds of thousands of BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    This has been going on all of MoP. I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theory that blizzard put them on the horde teams.
    LOL believe me it is not faction specific.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    Why would Blizzard ban bots? They're a source of subscription money... and by the looks of it, a big one at that. It's the same argument for why multi-boxing is still fine.
    They play with stolen credit cards a lot of the time which get charged back and Blizzard doesn't see a cent. Meanwhile legit players get pissed off and leave, from which they lose actual money.

If you think Blizzard is happy for bots to exist, you understand nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rankin View Post
    Blizzard bans bots. Players find new way to bot. Blizzard bans new bots. Players find another way to bot. Blizzard bans new bots. Players find another way to bot. Blizzard... Well I think you get the idea. Even if Blizzard banned every bot out there, it wouldn't take long for players to come up with new ones that bypass the old detection methods.
    Funny that in many other games, botting is at an extreme minimum then compared to WoW.

But hey bots are still accounts, right?.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    Funny that in many other games, botting is at an extreme minimum then compared to WoW.

There aren't many other games which have 7 million potential buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post

This statement is false, if you think WoW is a bot infested game then you haven't actually played one.

But there are a lot of bots, because:

1. PVP players bot the gear because they can't be bothered to spend a week to get it (most people I play with openly admit this)
    2. There are a lot of gold buyers in the game (again, a lot of people openly admit they buy gold)
    3. Many things in the game are necessary for optimal character development (professions) but are a chore to level from the ground up. Especially for players who have done it many times since who knows when.

These are some that I can come up with and there's a lot more. But come on, even if Blizzard banned every bot in the game, it would take a week at most to have a new software that can do most tasks in the game at least on some level.

People wouldn't bot for pvp gear if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to gear up.

A freshly dinged 90 isn't adding shit to a bg. They cannot compete fairly and they die in 2 seconds. It's not fun. And it's the core of why people bot in the first place.

Spending most of your time in the GY because you can't even compete fairly for 20-30k honor points is bad design.

If they want to get rid of bots in pvp, they need to make gearing (and the gear gap) not such a royal pain in the dick. End of story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Because you're sitting there manually watching your one BG, Blizzard is trying to catch thousands of bots across hundreds of thousands of BGs.

LOL believe me it is not faction specific.

- - - Updated - - -

They play with stolen credit cards a lot of the time which get charged back and Blizzard doesn't see a cent. Meanwhile legit players get pissed off and leave, from which they lose actual money.

If you think Blizzard is happy for bots to exist, you understand nothing.
    Not all of them play with stolen credit cards. I used to know a few people who'd buy completely new accounts to bot with, who's to say thousands of other people don't do that?

They're not entirely happy that they exist, but you can't be ignorant to the fact that Blizzard does actually profit from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    People wouldn't bot for pvp gear if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to gear up.

A freshly dinged 90 isn't adding shit to a bg. They cannot compete fairly and they die in 2 seconds. It's not fun. And it's the core of why people bot in the first place.

Spending most of your time in the GY because you can't even compete fairly for 20-30k honor points is bad design.

If they want to get rid of bots in pvp, they need to make gearing (and the gear gap) not such a royal pain in the dick. End of story.
    I don't agree with the way of going about it, but you certainly do bring up a good point. Honor takes quite awhile to get, especially with a 10 minute queue timer, and you can't deny the fact that (as Horde):

• Your fastest honor-per-hour is losing an Alterac Valley on an Alterac Valley weekend. Instant queue + loss = more honor than anything else?
    • Your second fastest honor-per-hour is doing Heroics and converting Justice into Honor. This is filthy, you're not even doing PvP content.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post

What? Getting PVP gear is so easy compared to PVE gear. You can get full honor geared in 2-3 weeks + the world boss drops and the small amount of conquest you get from BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    What? Getting PVP gear is so easy compared to PVE gear. You can get full honor geared in 2-3 weeks + the world boss drops and the small amount of conquest you get from BGs.
    The original question was "why do people bot?". Well, that's why. It takes a while to gear and it's not fun doing no damage and spending all your time in the GY. So people bot through the boring crap. Has nothing to do with 'ease', it's about how long it takes and how useless you feel when you're undergeared.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    That's pretty obvious. But why do you care explaning this to dumb people ? Informatic is magic apparently...
    Can't reason with someone who has a confirmation bias. As to the OP's question, Blizzard can't notice the bots without reports from the players and, when BGs become hopelessly lopsided, there tends to be massive bystander effect and apathy to the situation. It's a self-sustained cycle once it gets rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just PvP that you encounter multitudes of bots, either. Every third or fourth player I encounter out in the game world is almost always using a bot to level, too. Hell, when I was doing Desolace from 30 to 35, I encountered at least six bots.

Blizzard relies on Warden and ppl reporting players. Sadly though bots can go unseen by warden because the 32bit code was leaked and script writers used it to thier advantage(hence why most bots use 32bit wow to operate).

On a side not you can actually setup an auto mouse clicker to que you in a bg and move you around just as easily. Its a lot more noticeable to players though. And with some investigation blizz can see the person clicking the same thing over and over while waiting on the que.

anyways bots will always be in every mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Sadly though bots can go unseen by warden because the 32bit code was leaked and script writers used it to thier advantage(hence why most bots use 32bit wow to operate)
    If you say so bro.

Deleted
    Not sure why people are complaining so much about bots in battlegrounds.
    Firstly it is in random battlegrounds, which are not to be taken too seriously. Im sure theres plenty of players that are worse for your group than bots.
    Secondly, everyone get faster queues.
    I understand there are also a lot of negative points, but I don't understand why people are complaining about it so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Bots pay sub fees too.
    that ^

mind l miss the old AV ^^

Deleted
    Captcha to enter IOC

Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    It is beyond ridiculous in that BG. At the point it's at, players on the horde side are actually being denied the content. It's completely unplayable 100% of the time.
    The fact that Blizzard is handling it they way they are is downright shameful.
    well to be fair it was pretty unplayable to begin with.

They CAN notice the bots but only if you report them. Blizzard cannot monitor every location in the game simultaneously, that'd require vastly too much manpower. But if you report the bots, a GM will investigate, find that it is a bot, and take appropriate action.

If you don't report them, nothing will be done about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've botted Diablo 3 24/7 for almost 8 months straight, then I stopped because I was waiting for RoS and when RoS came out I botted 24/7 for 2 months. I still got my account.

I have a feeling they have the same people working on the bot issue in both games.