Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Qatar World Cup in question following corruption allegations

If Russia could host the Winter Olympics and Brazil can host the world cup this year, then Qatar can host it too.

It's not the first lobbied world cup or olympic games and it won't be the last.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    If Russia could host the Winter Olympics and Brazil can host the world cup this year, then Qatar can host it too.

So we let Qatar host the biggest sporting event in the world because of un-evidenced precedent?

Brazil is going to be a clusterfuck and half of southeast asia will die working in qatar. Good work fifa.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stances View Post
    So we let Qatar host the biggest sporting event in the world because of un-evidenced precedent?

Though the way in which Qatar was appointed to be the host of the 2022 Worldcup is repulsive.
    And the fact that even in winter it's a ridiculous climate for a sporting event.
    And I'm not even writing down the massive list of other reasons why Qatar shouldn't host the worldcup...

It's all dwarfed by the fact hundreds of workers (slaves) have already died. This tournament deserves a boycot.

10+ Year Old Account

Second part I agree...
    First part, I think also relates to the second part somehow, because when I look at the countries, there is a very strong case to be made for both countries.
    Russia, traditionally a dominating nation at the Olympics. It is a must, to give such country the Olympics.
    Brazil.... Well, does there need to be any explanation? England invented Football, Brazil made it an art.

Other countries getting the nod in the past, did imo always include the sportive effect and the political effect.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Brazil.... Well, does there need to be any explanation?
    I would say so

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Brazil is going to be a clusterfuck and half of southeast asia will die working in qatar. Good work fifa.
    Neither will happen.
    It's the usual clusterfuck of negative media reports..
    Russia will be a disaster.. Yes sure, we've seen that disaster.
    One malfunctioning special effect during the opening ceremonies..

Only the cocky arrogance of some countries from our western world are the problem.
    It's an atrocity how someone else might just pull something off too..
    God forbid someone else is as good as we are at something we believe to have grandfathered rights to.

There's only ONE problem with Qatar, and that's the fucking weather. Whoever overlooked that fact, needs to be doing 20 laps around a game field within the first finished stadium down there. That was an outright insane idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say so
    AND? Some random youngster protesting..
    You are aware, Football is Religion in Brazil, are you?
    Football is where the poverty stricken (and THIS guy looks everything but that) people cling onto, where they draw hope from and a little bit of happiness?

Second part I agree...
    First part, I think also relates to the second part somehow, because when I look at the countries, there is a very strong case to be made for both countries.
    Russia, traditionally a dominating nation at the Olympics. It is a must, to give such country the Olympics.
    Brazil.... Well, does there need to be any explanation? England invented Football, Brazil made it an art.

Other countries getting the nod in the past, did imo always include the sportive effect and the political effect.
    Well, considering the corruption we saw in Sotchi and most likely will see/already see in Brazil.... :P

There's only ONE problem with Qatar, and that's the fucking weather. Whoever overlooked that fact, needs to be doing 20 laps around a game field within the first finished stadium down there. That was an outright insane idea.
    Those 4000 dead immigrants aren't a problem?

AND? Some random youngster protesting..
    You are aware, Football is Religion in Brazil, are you?
    Football is where the poverty stricken (and THIS guy looks everything but that) people cling onto, where they draw hope from and a little bit of happiness?
    Some random guy? I guess all those riots and non stop protest of the world cup are just random.

Deleted
    I don't care, lets first handle the WC in Brazil! Go Red Devils!

And yes, I am aware of and worried about the humanitarian problems surrounding the WC being hosted in Brazil, sadly its to late to change any of it now. The show must go on!

Brazil has the world's 7th largest economy. Don't pretend it isn't a big enough nation to host a major sporting event.

Also they've hosted it before. And Brazil is THE footballing nation.

Qatar though...... I know they've got the cash and all, but unless they plan in building fully air conditioned stadiums that will defy the loval climate I really don't get it.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-06-01 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, considering the corruption we saw in Sotchi and most likely will see/already see in Brazil.... :P
    Where there's high profile there's corruption...
    That's always been that way. That was in our countries not any different, when we hosted these main events.
    If one takes the time and effort, they'll find smaller or bigger scandals surrounding them for every city/country that has ever hosted these events in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Brazil has the world's 7th largest economy. Don't pretend it isn't a big enough nation to host a major sporting event.

Also they've hosted it before. And Brazil is THE footballing nation.
    And they don't even have the stadiums ready with just 11 days till the 1st game so it certainly doesn't seem to have the infrastructure. Everything should have been ready 6 months ago.

As for the Qatar world cup I don't believe there's any doubt it will happen there. There's no way FIFA are going to take it away from them now but they should never have got it in the 1st place. Too hot, disgusting treatment of workers, no football heritage in the country or particular interest. There's also issues over sponsors because the world cup is essentially a money making tool and makes a lot of money from Alcohol companies and Qatar is a Muslim country. Also problems with their treatment of homosexuals. It's nothing but a vanity project for them.

Only good thing is it's highlighted their poor treatment of their low paid immigrant workers but any improvements made will probably be short lived and after the world cup has finished things will be exactly the same.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-06-01 at 01:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those 4000 dead immigrants aren't a problem?
    relates exactly to what I said... to that ONE problem.
    If it's too fucking hot to play football for 90 - 120 minutes, it's too fucking hot to work too.

Some random guy? I guess all those riots and non stop protest of the world cup are just random.
    There can be riots all day long 24/7.. If 10% aren't pleased it's their right to protest.. It only shows Brazil ain't no dictatorship. Yet if 90% are looking forward to it, those 10% are only a random anecdote.

Brazil has been in the crapper for decades..... Where have you been playing the moral apostle for all those years before?
    Now they have an event that accomplishes 3 things.....
    1. It makes the VAST majority of those people happy, since they get to live the greatest event of their highest popular past time activity.
    2. It brings awareness to the World how the country improved, and still needs more improvement
    3. It brings money. The country will be left with a surplus.

Case closed..... No scandal anywhere.....
    Brazil isn't even subject to this topic here at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    And they don't even have the stadiums ready with just 11 days till the 1st game so it certainly doesn't seem to have the infrastructure. Everything should have been ready 6 months ago.
    Nobody seems to be able to make schedules.

GB barely made the Olympic schedule, plus G4S and the security.....

I do think Qatar won't have any problems with getting things in place, certainly money doesn't look to be an issue. They've managed to buy plenty of league titles across Europe, and they've bought FIFA.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-06-01 at 01:19 PM.

Deleted
    Fifa is corrupt?! Well I never....

10+ Year Old Account
    I do think Qatar won't have any problems with getting things in place, certainly money doesn't look to be an issue. They've managed to buy plenty of league titles across Europe, and they've bought FIFA.
    Maybe the whole system whether with the IOC or FIFA should just be changed to an auction system?
    2028 is up for bidders.
    Any bidder has to provide the credibility and financial capability... From there on, let the bidding war begin.
    Would certainly be more honest....

Maybe the whole system whether with the IOC or FIFA should just be changed to an auction system?
    2028 is up for bidders.
    Any bidder has to provide the credibility and financial capability... From there on, let the bidding war begin.
    Would certainly be more honest....
    Nah, I think at this point FIFA has become so farcical that we'd be better with names out of a hat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I think at this point FIFA has become so farcical that we'd be better with names out of a hat.
    I'm afraid they'd have the hat rigged like a magicians hat and pull the "right" names from the "rabbit compartment" within the hat lol