Can I Get Some Subjective Interpretations Please!

I battle Ignorance and Arrogance daily. Sometimes I even go outside myself to do these things. And so here I am asking you to give me your own thoughts on the subject of humans being completely bonkers. Take this structure for thought:

Person A creates a personal task that only they can accomplish.
    Person A fails to accomplish this task by merits of choosing actions bluntly contrary to accomplishing their chosen task.
    Person A places blame for unaccomplished task on Person B.

Here is a worded example sprinkled with just enough hyperbole to make it digestible. You and I are on a small island similar to Tom Hanks in that cast away movie where he had the giant beard that made everyone say WTF. We make a raft and as I sail away I tell you I will be back once I get help. Several months go by and as you continue to mourn my passing you awake one day to find a landing party has arrived. I must have made it; there could be no other explanation.

The small boat takes you to the larger ship which just happens to be carnival cruise lines latest and greatest with Asian massage and all you can eat buffets and jet skis and skeet shooting and whale watching and all kinds of great stuff. the scene is overwhelming and as you are lead down halls and past people and see signs for a real life restroom all you can wonder is where I am.

finally you arrive at the captains cabin to see the ships officers and myself, now looking completely different: tanned, fit, healthy. I run over and grab you professing my excitement at our meeting. "I told you I'd get help." I smile.

you look over at the captain who then explains that he and his crew and found me long ago and took me on as a part of the ships crew. I had been living on the ship and cruising around the world for several months now. this very ship had in fact been cruising these waters weekly for some time now, though they had not been looking for you.

"In fact," says the captain, "If it hadn't been for needing certain documentation we never would have known who your friend was or that the two of you had been missing together. It was only very recently, this morning actually, that we got the news and found out your location from your 'friend'."

'how can that be?', you wonder aloud? I had told you that I would come right back once I found help, and yet I left you on that rocks for months more. turning on me you ask for some explanation.

"well," I begin, "when I first got on board the ship I just forgot about everything and ate and slept and got medical treatment and before I knew it I needed a job and so I asked for one, and no one ever asked about you by the way, and so every time the ship would pass by the island I would go out and look for you."

"You would?!" you asked, befuddled, "why didn't you ever stop or send help or anything?"

very seriously, with absolutely no remorse, I reply "everytime I looked out and saw you, you seemed to be having fun. you were fishing or hiking or sunbathing or swimming or camping on the beach and I didn't want to come and ruin your good time. I wanted to make sure you were happy doing your thing and it would have been rude of me to interrupt you. did you really want me to interrupt you? you knew I was coming back with help, and you got busy having fun. I didn't want to bother that."

So my thoughts wonder this: people often fail to live up to their own expectations by their own choices and blame others for the end result. I know what Sesame Street would say about people like that yet I want to know what you have to say about it.

Deleted
    A whole lot of pretentious without saying a single thing.

That's just my subjective interpretation anyway.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brimdog View Post
    I battle Ignorance and Arrogance daily. SNIP

Do you have a split personality?

Perhaps. Some people just don't have the skills or opportunities to do what they would like. Though in a broad sense, most people COULD accomplish their goals.

It is just easier or harder depending on: where you live, your set of skills, what you want to do and a myriad of other variables.

Anyhow, as for the example I would say that the stranded guy was probably not having fun. It may look so, and maybe he did have fun, but he probably was attempting to grow content with the situation he was in. His friend was a scumbag and even the most silly of people would probably have mentioned the missing guy much sooner.
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't they both take the raft? Terrible plan.

So my thoughts wonder this: people often fail to live up to their own expectations by their own choices and blame others for the end result. I know what Sesame Street would say about people like that yet I want to know what you have to say about it.
    Sometimes they have some validity. We all live and share the same world, what one person does affects another. Or take this expression instead:

"The greatest enemy of [your] freedom is [everyone else's] freedom".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I battle Ignorance and Arrogance daily. /snip
    And that's where I stopped reading. That statement alone is full of arrogance, so it's full of fail right out the gate.

I battle Ignorance and Arrogance daily.

very seriously, with absolutely no remorse, I reply "everytime I looked out and saw you, you seemed to be having fun. you were fishing or hiking or sunbathing or swimming or camping on the beach and I didn't want to come and ruin your good time. I wanted to make sure you were happy doing your thing and it would have been rude of me to interrupt you. did you really want me to interrupt you? you knew I was coming back with help, and you got busy having fun. I didn't want to bother that."
    This makes me wonder what you meant by your foreword. Are you talking about your ignorance and arrogance? Arrogant enough to presume that your friend preferred to stay & ignorant enough of the mental breakdowns one can suffer when isolated.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand. The analogy seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the situation you proposed.

This is how I originally understood it.

Employee A needs to print out a report.
    Employee A doesn't even finish the report.
    Employee A blames Employee B, because Employee B was the last person to use the printer, and the printer is broken, and Employee B didn't contact IT in a timely manner to get it fixed, thus preventing Employee A from 'finishing' the report.

This example is more clear and understandable. The island thing just sounds like an improbable and unlikely situation that shouldn't even be judged.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Some jackasses just try do do/say what they can so they don't have to accept being the one at fault.
    "everytime I looked out and saw you, you seemed to be having fun. you were fishing or hiking or sunbathing or swimming or camping on the beach and I didn't want to come and ruin your good time. I wanted to make sure you were happy doing your thing and it would have been rude of me to interrupt you. did you really want me to interrupt you? you knew I was coming back with help, and you got busy having fun. I didn't want to bother that."
    The worst of them making themselves the victim or the angelic hero of the situation. I assume they must fail or refuse to put themselves in the other person's shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't understand. The analogy seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the situation you proposed.
    What I caught was, Person A sets out on a raft made for one then later blames Person B for not getting rescued because Person A perceived them from a distance as being "happy." You didn't look miserable so I didn't bother to exert the effort. If you wanted rescuing you should have looked miserable, even from this distance.

Though I agree a work example is easier to understand.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-06-02 at 07:17 PM.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    All of my what.

I get chazus' analogy, but OP's is so far fetched, I don't even know what to think about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    All of my what.

I get chazus' analogy, but OP's is so far fetched, I don't even know what to think about it.
    "To the point" is not in the OPs dictionary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about this a little further, for some reason.

very seriously, with absolutely no remorse, I reply "everytime I looked out and saw you, you seemed to be having fun. you were fishing or hiking or sunbathing or swimming or camping on the beach and I didn't want to come and ruin your good time.
    This is not ignorance. Nor is it arrogance. This is sheer insanity. There is nothing, at any point, that would lead you (or whomever we're speaking of) to believe that the person on the island is 'having fun'. They were on the island too. They were going to die, too. There is no reason to think it was fun.

So its one of two things.

1) Insanity. Amongst the delerium of being stranded on an island, and lost at sea, all perception of reality is lost. There is no difference behind your eyes of a fantastic ship, having a fun camp out on an island, and faeries dancing around having a good party. Reality is lost to you, and you believe what you see. This is not ignorance or arrogance. It is the collapse of cognitive perception.

2) Insanity. You (or whomever the story is about) is a malicious sociopath. They -wanted- the person on the island to suffer, and only sought rescue to see the suffering first hand. They knew it was awful, and let it go on. This also explains the deadpan explanation of having fun.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-06-02 at 08:36 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This is not ignorance. Nor is it arrogance. This is sheer insanity. There is nothing, at any point, that would lead you (or whomever we're speaking of) to believe that the person on the island is 'having fun'. They were on the island too. They were going to die, too. There is no reason to think it was fun.
    I don't know man, where I come from, if someone looks like they're having fun, they're definitely having fun, it would of been rude to interrupt them!

In all seriousness, I'm confused, is seeing how many people get confused trying to interpret it what you wanted? It feels like you started off with one point, and quickly left that ship. Like, what does ignorance and arrogance have to do with someone setting a goal for themselves, and since when did a goal set for themselves involve person B?

Incoherent. Also the behaviour of the individuals is pretty unbelievable, think Chazus summed it up pretty well.

Let me see if I understand this.

Person A and Person B make a raft that is only able to safely hold one person(not stated but I read it that way).

Person A is chosen as the one that will take the raft and promises to get help.

Person B waits for months thinking Person A died but is found and rescued attributing it to Person A.

Person B soon finds out that Person A was rescued long ago and the only reason for his rescue is to help Person A.

Person B questions Person A about why they did not send help like they promised. Person B responses by shifting the blame to Person A because they looked to be not in need of rescue.

After typing that up I am still not sure of what the question is.

That's just ridiculous. What sane person would interpret someone stuck on an island, who previously asked and waited upon you for help, as "not wanting to be interrupted because you looked like you were having fun". What an incredibly ignorant and arrogant thought. Ignorant to think such a thing without considering what hardships the person stuck on the island is going through, and arrogant for making the decision that "they don't want to be rescued" for them.
    That's the stupidest excuse I have ever heard. At the very very least, since you had the opportunity (in the provided fictional example) you should have gone over and said "hey, I found a cruise ship, we can leave if you want".