Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fitness monitor without cloud service?

Looking for a wearable fitness monitor, but one that does not require me to upload data to a cloud service in order to view it. Anyone have any recommendations?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

My mother really likes her Fitbit, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the cloud (or at least a computer) is involved. :/

Target sells basic pedometers, but those are far less sophisticated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    My mother really likes her Fitbit, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the cloud (or at least a computer) is involved. :/

Target sells basic pedometers, but those are far less sophisticated.
    Yup, fitbit makes you register your device and give them all of your demographic information before they let you utilize the device. So that's out of the question, and I'm looking for sophisticated with an app to track things overtime. I just don't want to give out my personal information to do so.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Your thread is the first google search result for "non-cloud fitness monitor", which I think is a bad sign.

Honestly I understand the cloud from a corporate POV, but I don't understand why it's popular with individuals. An SD card of 16GB+ takes up less room in a mobile device than the technology required to upload the data wirelessly, and of course, doesn't require subscriptions to 3d-party services to access your information.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Your thread is the first google search result for "non-cloud fitness monitor", which I think is a bad sign.

Honestly I understand the cloud from a corporate POV, but I don't understand why it's popular with individuals. An SD card of 16GB+ takes up less room in a mobile device than the technology required to upload the data wirelessly, and of course, doesn't require subscriptions to 3d-party services to access your information.
    My issue is not the storage but that these devices require you to plug them into a computer, upload the data to a proprietary site, just to view the data on the same computer the device is plugged into. Seems silly...

- - - Updated - - -

The Goccia looks interesting, but I can't find any details on what type of sensors it has.
    But really I'm having a hard time tracking down a device that doesn't require internet access.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems I may be out of luck, that or this isn't the exercise centric crowd I should be asking.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Seems I may be out of luck, that or this isn't the exercise centric crowd I should be asking.
    Could try the Sports and Fitness subforum. Maybe you'd have better luck in there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Could try the Sports and Fitness subforum. Maybe you'd have better luck in there?
    Never knew there was such a thing...

-Kujako-

1990's heartrate monitor plus excel spreadsheet running on Win98 computer with no physical connection to the internet = Safe Data!
    unless the CIA thinks you are a spy in which case they'll charge into your house without showing a warrent and perminently seize all your electronics including your win98 computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitkanen View Post
    1990's heartrate monitor plus excel spreadsheet running on Win98 computer with no physical connection to the internet = Safe Data!
    unless the CIA thinks you are a spy in which case they'll charge into your house without showing a warrent and perminently seize all your electronics including your win98 computer.
    I'm looking for more then just heart rate. At least a 3-axis accelerometer. Something more advanced and nifty like the upcoming Healbe GoBe would be nice, but the jury is still out on if that thing even works, and of course it requires uploading data...

For what I can get right now, the Misfit Shine seems the closest. But it is rather limited.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    You can view your Fitbit data right on the Zip w/o any 'cloud' interaction.

I will say, though, that your 'issue' seems a little silly. The auto-tracking and interface for most web-based trackers more than makes up for the silliness of uploading data to view it.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bergmann620 View Post
    You can view your Fitbit data right on the Zip w/o any 'cloud' interaction.

I will say, though, that your 'issue' seems a little silly. The auto-tracking and interface for most web-based trackers more than makes up for the silliness of uploading data to view it.
    I have the data and the app to view the data locally. The only reason they want it uploaded is for marketing reasons. If I pay upwards of 300$ for the device, that should be the end of it as far as them making money off me goes. Plus the issue of not having internet access at all times when out in the middle of nowhere.

-Kujako-

Razer Nabu and a smartphone?

Neither requires internet access if you get the right apps for it, Nabu isn't released yet tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Razer Nabu and a smartphone?

Neither requires internet access if you get the right apps for it, Nabu isn't released yet tho.
    If we ignore all of the social media nonsense, all the Nabu has is an altimeter and an accelerometer. There also isn't enough information to go on yet to say that it will not require uploading data, though it seems likely that it wont.

Worth keeping an eye on I guess, but for such a limited amount of sensors I'd prefer something smaller like the aforementioned Goccia.

-Kujako-

If we ignore all of the social media nonsense, all the Nabu has is an altimeter and an accelerometer. There also isn't enough information to go on yet to say that it will not require uploading data, though it seems likely that it wont.

Worth keeping an eye on I guess, but for such a limited amount of sensors I'd prefer something smaller like the aforementioned Goccia.
    What exercise(s) are you planning on using the device for? I don't want to sound rude but to be honest the majority of people I know who are serious about fitness don't use those kind of trendy gadgets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabian View Post
    What exercise(s) are you planning on using the device for? I don't want to sound rude but to be honest the majority of people I know who are serious about fitness don't use those kind of trendy gadgets.
    I've been running at least every other day and am planning on increasing the range and frequency of my runs. But it's hard for me to work in a regular workout due to my job (sitting at home in front of a computer). So I'm looking to track average exercise over the course of a couple months and try and fill in the gaps.

-Kujako-

True, it doesn't have all the sensor pure fitness gear has, but the Nabu is controlled by smartphone apps, it will not require uploading data since you can just program your own app that doesn't upload data anywhere.

I'm not sure if the Nabu is worth it for you if you really need all sensors, but it can be worth a shot considering that the Nabu will cost around $50 so it's not a huge investment.

Although, if you are not a developer you might want to wait until apps that you want are released.

Really, the only sensor that the Nabu won't have is heart-rate, GPS and other stuff comes from the phone so the Nabu doesn't need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, it doesn't have all the sensor pure fitness gear has, but the Nabu is controlled by smartphone apps, it will not require uploading data since you can just program your own app that doesn't upload data anywhere.

I'm not sure if the Nabu is worth it for you if you really need all sensors, but it can be worth a shot considering that the Nabu will cost around $50 so it's not a huge investment.

Although, if you are not a developer you might want to wait until apps that you want are released.

Really, the only sensor that the Nabu won't have is heart-rate, GPS and other stuff comes from the phone so the Nabu doesn't need it.
    I am a "developer", though I've only written a few mobile apps. But if I am to go the limited sensor route I'd go with the Goccia which uses optical syncing. I guess I'm just not into all the smart watch, social media, nonsense that the Nabu has.

-Kujako-

I am a "developer", though I've only written a few mobile apps. But if I am to go the limited sensor route I'd go with the Goccia which uses optical syncing. I guess I'm just not into all the smart watch, social media, nonsense that the Nabu has.
    I can see a few problems with the Goccia as well, nothing is perfect.
    But yeah, it's up to you.

The consumer price for the Nabu isn't released but the developer price is going to be $50 that's significantly cheaper than the $115 price of the Goccia package with wristband.

Both devices has their pros and cons, the biggest con with the Goccia in my opinion is that it isn't connected to your phone, you will need to manually sync it when you want to check the stats. I don't think it's going to have more sensors than the Nabu and Phone combo either.
    A big pro with the Goccia is that it's waterproof, and I would say that it's a pretty big pro.

The biggest con with the Nabu for me is the lack of waterproofing, it rains a lot on Sweden and needing to hide your devices to avoid water damage is annoying. A big pro with the Nabu is the screens, especially for fitness purposes, you can just look at your wrist to quickly see estimated burnt calories or how far you have traveled or whatever you want.

Since the Nabu is connected to the phone and there is an SDK available you can program your own Apps for it, which is always nice. You can program apps to read the data from the Goccia, but it's not really the same thing imo since you need to manually sync them.

Goccia also has "Socializing" on their website, don't know how it's going to work or what it's going to track but they did list it on their site.
    Last edited by adamzz; 2014-06-03 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see a few problems with the Goccia as well, nothing is perfect.
    But yeah, it's up to you.

The consumer price for the Nabu isn't released but the developer price is going to be $50 that's significantly cheaper than the $115 price of the Goccia package with wristband.

Both devices has their pros and cons, the biggest con with the Goccia in my opinion is that it isn't connected to your phone, you will need to manually sync it when you want to check the stats. I don't think it's going to have more sensors than the Nabu and Phone combo either.
    A big pro with the Goccia is that it's waterproof, and I would say that it's a pretty big pro.

The biggest con with the Nabu for me is the lack of waterproofing, it rains a lot on Sweden and needing to hide your devices to avoid water damage is annoying. A big pro with the Nabu is the screens, especially for fitness purposes, you can just look at your wrist to quickly see estimated burnt calories or how far you have traveled or whatever you want.

Since the Nabu is connected to the phone and there is an SDK available you can program your own Apps for it, which is always nice. You can program apps to read the data from the Goccia, but it's not really the same thing imo since you need to manually sync them.

Goccia also has "Socializing" on their website, don't know how it's going to work or what it's going to track but they did list it on their site.
    Well... I don't go running with my phone. It's a bit bulky. So the lack of real time syncing is a non-issue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems odd to me that there's no such device... perhaps I'll make one and stick it up on Kickstarter.

-Kujako-

If you're going to develop something, I knew Garmin offers jogging GPS units and I believe make their APIs available.