Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    If you're going to develop something, I knew Garmin offers jogging GPS units and I believe make their APIs available.
    I'm thinking I could hammer together something like the Flora Neo Geo Watch with an accelerometer & GPS.

Edit: Looks like the Flora platform can easily be tied into chest heart-rate monitors. Overall it would be a bit expensive to do the full watch with GPS, accelerometer and heart rate monitor, but I would have total control over all aspects of it. Tempting...
    Last edited by Kujako; 2014-06-04 at 03:19 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well... I don't go running with my phone. It's a bit bulky. So the lack of real time syncing is a non-issue to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems odd to me that there's no such device... perhaps I'll make one and stick it up on Kickstarter.
    Fair enough, I guess right now the Goccia is the closest you can get to what you want.
    But like you said, you could always build your own with the FLORA platform, although it would probably be more expensive than to buy Goccia.

Hopefully the Goccia will be available soon and you can try it out.

You can probably take the raw data from other devices and view it without uploading to a cloud service, it's not going to be able to upload anything if you don't let it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Fair enough, I guess right now the Goccia is the closest you can get to what you want.
    But like you said, you could always build your own with the FLORA platform, although it would probably be more expensive than to buy Goccia.
    Actually it would be cheaper if I stuck to just GPS and accelerometer. But it wouldn't be water proof and I would have to write both the data analysis software as well as the device control software.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

I'm sure its not what you want, but I have no complains about using Endomondo.com and my pulse garmin GPS watch. This site is fine and works well.

Tracks my average run speed (5.20-5.50 min/KM atm for anyone that cares haha), pulse obviously using the strap around your body, and time etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Actually it would be cheaper if I stuck to just GPS and accelerometer. But it wouldn't be water proof and I would have to write both the data analysis software as well as the device control software.
    Time is money, so the time you spend on building the device and then testing it and writing software for it costs more than to just buy Goccia.
    But yea, it's cheaper if you only count the material cost and if you only go for GPS and accelerometer.

Why don't you bring your phone when running tho? There are armstraps for most smartphones that makes you almost forget that you even have it with you.
    I for one would never leave my home without my phone, it's just unimaginable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adamzz View Post
    Time is money, so the time you spend on building the device and then testing it and writing software for it costs more than to just buy Goccia.
    But yea, it's cheaper if you only count the material cost and if you only go for GPS and accelerometer.

Why don't you bring your phone when running tho? There are armstraps for most smartphones that makes you almost forget that you even have it with you.
    I for one would never leave my home without my phone, it's just unimaginable.
    I've yet to find an arm strap that's comfortable. So I stick to my iPod nano when running.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    If you need constant measurements of what you're exercising, you're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    If you need constant measurements of what you're exercising, you're doing it wrong.
    The purpose of such devices is to provide feedback over the course of many months so you can adjust your routine.

-Kujako-