Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    No nothing like that for sure. I dont remember exact numbers but i would guess 100-150euros. 500 would be a tad too much
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Recovering a completely dead HDD requires physically removing the platter in a clean room and then putting it a new HDD with the exact same model and the exact same firmware version.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about. Recovering a completely dead HDD requires physically removing the platter in a clean room and then putting it a new HDD with the exact same model and the exact same firmware version.
    So you know what i payed and what i didn't? You also assume that i don't know what i am talking about? I won't even bother...

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    So you know what i payed and what i didn't? You also assume that i don't know what i am talking about? I won't even bother...
    Because the cost of the described operation is 10 times what you suggested. It's not even 500 euro, it's more like 1000. It could go over 2000 if the damage is severe.
    As I said, a certified clean room and a team of engineers with special equipment.
    After they swap the plate (which already costs €1000), it goes to the software department to extract the remaining non-damaged data into an image (via some expensive software), from which the files are extracted. Another few hundred €.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-06-08 at 06:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Because the cost of the described operation is 10 times what you suggested. It's not even 500 euro, it's more like 1000. It could go over 2000 if the damage is severe.
    As I said, a certified clean room and a team of engineers with special equipment.
    After they swap the plate (which already costs €1000), it goes to the software department to extract the remaining non-damaged data into an image (via some expensive software), from which the files are extracted. Another few hundred €.
    I don't believe he said/meant 500 would be a tad too much for the cost of the operation. More that that would be too much and he'd forsake the data and not bother paying. Because he obviously did not pay a price that extreme, then it must have been a lesser operation that took place.

Thanks for the lesson in mind reading, but I'd say whatever you charge is too much, cos it doesn't work so well.

Deleted
    I know what it means and the method more or less and the cost. You should read again that i said, that 2nd drive, the back up was fried, not the first. The only thing I did was to just install it on a new pc and check if i had access to it. I didn't have by simply plugging it in and i didn't bother more cause my time was worth more at the time. It could have been something else simple...but i didnt pay anything like the amounts mentioned above.
    So suggesting, telling me i got no idea what i am talking about or arguing about it with unknown variables at hand to start with...

Anyway jumped train long ago from what this thread is about.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    SpinRite supposedly can recover data and help HDDs run healthier, I belive it's like $90 for a first license.
    Only if the drive still works, mine won't even turn on. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Only if the drive still works, mine won't even turn on. =/
    Yeah it won't even turn on then this isn't the solution and that sucks.

I'm wondering if the recovery from SSD is similar to the HDD plater swap process. How difficult would it be to get the same SSD and put the old NAND chips on it ? The soldering process must be rather difficult, but not more difficult than swapping a platter.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-06-08 at 08:26 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Likely a lot easier, considering you don't need a class something sterile laboratory...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water