Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

New GPU - Wildstar and upcomming games such as WoD..

Getting a new GPU now, I had the 7970 - Sold it long time ago with my previous PC for almost retail price, however I'm currently in need of a new GPU for my PC.

My current setup..

- i7 4930k - With Noctua Beast cooling
    - 16 GB of 1600 MHZ Ram.
    - Compatible motherboard for double gpu, meaning i can snatch one now and get one later for more power.
    - 850 W if I'm not mistaken PSU.
    Got a dual HDD of 1TB each and a SDD as a gaming folder.

Thing is, I want something that at least is stronger than a 7970. I had the r9 280x in mind, however it doesn't seem to overpower it unless it is heat, and efficieny.. However, it has OC possibility, but im not really much aware of those.

Anyway, I'm looking for either the regular "Sapphire, which is the cheapest, the Sapphire "vaporx" or the "toxic.

If I'm wrong with going for the 280x do you guys have any other choices? Open for anything, thanks alot

Price tag has to be somewhere around there.. I'm from norway so kind of hard to give a right number, however if you can use

"www.Komplett.no" The price range would be roughly 2000-3000KR. Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    7970 (GHz maybe?) and R9 280x are essentially the same if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, your current set up should be good for both of those games.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    7970 (GHz maybe?) and R9 280x are essentially the same if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, your current set up should be good for both of those games.
    You see, my GPU isn't the 7970. I sold it a time ago, so I'm using a GTX 480. It's a beast of a card to today, I usually get 60 FPS with highest settings, however can drop here and there, in addition the FAN.. Heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Getting a new GPU now, I had the 7970 - Sold it long time ago with my previous PC for almost retail price, however I'm currently in need of a new GPU for my PC.

My current setup..

- i7 4930k - With Noctua Beast cooling
    - 16 GB of 1600 MHZ Ram.
    - Compatible motherboard for double gpu, meaning i can snatch one now and get one later for more power.
    - 850 W if I'm not mistaken PSU.
    Got a dual HDD of 1TB each and a SDD as a gaming folder.

Thing is, I want something that at least is stronger than a 7970. I had the r9 280x in mind, however it doesn't seem to overpower it unless it is heat, and efficieny.. However, it has OC possibility, but im not really much aware of those.

Anyway, I'm looking for either the regular "Sapphire, which is the cheapest, the Sapphire "vaporx" or the "toxic.

If I'm wrong with going for the 280x do you guys have any other choices? Open for anything, thanks alot

Price tag has to be somewhere around there.. I'm from norway so kind of hard to give a right number, however if you can use

"www.Komplett.no" The price range would be roughly 2000-3000KR. Thanks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127747

10+ Year Old Account
    You see, my GPU isn't the 7970. I sold it a time ago, so I'm using a GTX 480. It's a beast of a card to today, I usually get 60 FPS with highest settings, however can drop here and there, in addition the FAN.. Heat..
    Ohh, misread. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte R9 280x would work then.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh, misread. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte R9 280x would work then.
    Is there any other on the market that might be better, a other gpu not a radeon gpu for example?
    however how do those markets that i typed look? saphire normal edition, the vapor x or the toxic for overclocking, is it worth the xtra 400-600 kr?

- - - Updated - - -

The 2GB edition is actually really cheap, however is it better than a 280x with the aftermarket branding? and is 2gb sufficient for 1920x1080 gaming at ultra? I'm not going to playat higher resolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any other on the market that might be better, a other gpu not a radeon gpu for example?
    however how do those markets that i typed look? saphire normal edition, the vapor x or the toxic for overclocking, is it worth the xtra 400-600 kr?
    The Sapphire Toxic as far as I remember, is if you decide to overclock it beyond the usual, someone correct me if I'm completely horrendously wrong. I wouldn't say it's worth it.

For a NVidia, a GTX 770 2GB would work within that price range.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Sapphire Toxic as far as I remember, is if you decide to overclock it beyond the usual. I wouldn't say it's worth it.

For a NVidia, a GTX 770 2GB would work within that price range.
    I'm considering it as I've heard the card is a good cloker.. But would the Vapor be good enough?
    How does the 770 2GB work compared to a OCed 280x? Oh and is 2GB enough for 1920x1080?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm considering it as I've heard the card is a good cloker.. But would the Vapor be good enough?
    How does the 770 2GB work compared to a OCed 280x? Oh and is 2GB enough for 1920x1080?
    2GB is good enough for 1920x1080.
    Vapor would be good enough imo.
    Both are good cards and perform roughly the same.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    2GB is good enough for 1920x1080.
    Vapor would be good enough imo.
    Both are good cards and perform roughly the same.
    Oh, I see. Does the vapor and toxic bring much more clock than the regular saphire with a aftermarket cooler?
    If that's the case, it ends up for the r9 280x being a bit expensiver, however if the clocks better it might be better than the nvidia, going to check benchmarks

If you got the extra cash, fork out for a r9 290x. Make sure you get a version that isn't running the stock cooler, otherwise it will be quite loud during gaming

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    If you got the extra cash, fork out for a r9 290x. Make sure you get a version that isn't running the stock cooler, otherwise it will be quite loud during gaming
    Well, the one with a aftermarket cooler costs roughly 4600 KR, that's the same price as 2 x 770 twin frozers 2gb or 2 x sapphires 280x.. I doubt that's a good ratio performance unless it actually performs double compared to those cards.

I recently built my new machine and got the ASUS GTX660, it blows away a lot of cards and is much faster than all the other 660's, ASUS makes amazing stuff.

Considering prices on 280x's are dropping like crazy I would say definitely buy one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the one with a aftermarket cooler costs roughly 4600 KR, that's the same price as 2 x 770 twin frozers 2gb or 2 x sapphires 280x.. I doubt that's a good ratio performance unless it actually performs double compared to those cards.
    You could go for R9 290, it's at $400 in USD, and too lazy to do conversions sooooooooo...... either that or the other two.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I recently built my new machine and got the ASUS GTX660, it blows away a lot of cards and is much faster than all the other 660's, ASUS makes amazing stuff.
    I don't doubt that a second, asus is a solid and good brand, however they are a bit pricy, and I've heard that there's been places where vapor cards overclock that good that it can beat cards that are supposed to be better due to the oc and cooling system.

- - - Updated - - -

You could go for R9 290, it's at $400 in USD, and too lazy to do conversions sooooooooo...... either that or the other two.
    True, bit it's around 3600 KR for it, which is 1400 KR compared to the770 twin frozer 2gb or the r9 280x sapphire, 800 from the toxic and 1000 from the vapor. I'm not sure if that's a good deal haven't been up to date with benchmark of late cards

Ratio is easy, 1 USD = 5,5 KR. So essentially the cardhere costs 650 USD.

I don't doubt that a second, asus is a solid and good brand, however they are a bit pricy, and I've heard that there's been places where vapor cards overclock that good that it can beat cards that are supposed to be better due to the oc and cooling system.
    Ya it is a little bit of money. This one is not bad for the price http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121855

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Ya it is a little bit of money. This one is not bad for the price http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121855
    I have a GPU that already is better than that and wouldn't be a huge upgrade..

I think I'm going to look more into r9 280x, however which of the brand I choose I'm no sure about, going to check marks on 770 aswell..

Thanks for the help guys, especiially you remillia

- - - Updated - - -

I checked the benchmarks and it seems they're the same, some advantage on the 280x due to vram, however i've seen that nvidia cards do perform slighlty better on a few games, would that affect wow/wildstar?

and are the drivers for the radeon card any good? I hear mantle or something came..

Deleted
    I would pick the 280x over the 770, due to the Vram. Both cards are more than powerfull enough to run wow/wildstar.

Drivers for AMD are good. I got no complaints And mantle only works in BF4 at the moment I think.

If games support SLI maybe not, but WoW for instance I understand will only use one GPU in SLI, at least currently.
    No idea if that will change for WoD.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.