Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should WoW be Rated M for Mature?

Lets see, lets list all the things that make this game Rated M for mature:

• Blood all over the ground
    • Man getting chopped up from a plane propeller
    • Whores wanting to bed you / kill you (karazhan, Mother sharazz)
    • Curse words all throughout the dialogue of the game
    • Playerbase creating a mature environment for other players through the use of excessive curse language and sexual profanity of all sorts
    • Witchcraft, evil worshiping, etc
    • Grotesque creatures
    • Boss monsters (Garrosh) saying things to entice real life incidents of horror (california shootings)

I'm sure the list could go on forever. What other things can you think of that make the game more rated M for Mature? (17 or older only allowed to play)

No, its going to stay T for Teen

Sylvanas being called a bitch, at least twice! ( Lord Godfrey & Garrosh ). I mean that always seemed a bit excessive to me.

Deleted
    MMOs fall into a weird category of rating because online interaction with other players varies. Gameplay itself generally falls under the T for Teen rating, as nothing within the gameplay itself is explicit.

Quote Originally Posted by mtr View Post
    Sylvanas being called a bitch, at least twice! ( Lord Godfrey & Garrosh ). I mean that always seemed a bit excessive to me.
    Well, maybe she shouldnt act like a huge bitch. Then people wouldnt call her it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    MMOs fall into a weird category of rating because online interaction with other players varies. Gameplay itself generally falls under the T for Teen rating, as nothing within the gameplay itself is explicit.
    There are actually quite a few explicit parts of the WoW world. Dark brooding "cultists," Blood everywhere, and all sorts of gore and profanity. I think the ESRB should take another look at the game.

Why wouldn't they want it rated M for Mature anyway?

Deleted
    Guys, it's Jaylock...

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-06 at 02:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean... yeah! Theres like, swords and naughty words and stuff. Should totally be for mature adults over the age of 18, would hate to see children subjected to things like blood and naughty words in this day and age.

But Jaylock, that would make it so you wouldn't be able to play. Are you so addicted that you want to make sure you can't play for a few years?

No.

Compare:

Current rating- "Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

Mature rating- "Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language."

So, let's look at what all of those things are:
    Suggestive Themes vs. Sexual Content
    Whores wanting to bed you / kill you (karazhan, Mother sharazz)
    Currently, WoW is rated under "suggestive themes," but you seem to think that it should be rated (for things like Karazhan and Sharaz) "Sexual Content." Suggestive Themes - Mild provocative references or materials. This is what both of those things are. They are references to provocative or sexual actions, and that falls under "suggestive themes." In order for it to fall under "Mature," and "Sexual Content," it would have to be "Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity." This is about referencing specific sex acts, not just the act itself, or the state of being provocative like the succubi and Sharaz.

Violence vs. Intense Violence
    Blood all over the ground
    Man getting chopped up from a plane propeller
    "Violence - Scenes involving aggressive conflict. May contain bloodless dismemberment." versus "Intense Violence - Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons and depictions of human injury and death." (emphasis mine) Warcraft does not fall into the category of realistic violence, but under fantasy violence, which does not qualify for an M rating.

Infrequent use of strong language vs. strong language

Curse words all throughout the dialogue of the game
    The use of curse words in Warcraft is certainly present, but it absolutely falls under "infrequent use." Mild curse words like "damn" are seen more frequently, and very rarely garner a ratings bump. Somewhat stronger curse words like "bitch" and "bastard" are used very infrequently, and the curse word most likely to be considered "worth" a ratings bump- "fuck"- is never used at all.

"Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB"
    Playerbase creating a mature environment for other players through the use of excessive curse language and sexual profanity of all sorts
    That is not the responsibility nor domain of the ESRB ratings system to take into account or rate. It is a non-factor in the rating of any video game.

Witchcraft, evil worshiping, etc
    Grotesque creatures
    Boss monsters (Garrosh) saying things to entice real life incidents of horror (california shootings)
    None of these things are rated by the ESRB. Two of them are personal moral perspectives that the organization has no responsibility nor authority to rate against, and "grotesque creatures" could probably fall under the "some frightening elements" that we regularly see on PG-rated movies.

Deleted
    Moonguard should.

In my eyes this game doesn't present any more adult content, than what an average kid would get from his every day activity (like watching TV, interacting with kids of same age etc.), so no, I don't see WoW getting labaled as adult only game. And evil worship/real life shooting in california reference is BS, and you know that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    and you know that.
    He always does, but the threads keep coming.

Deleted
    This thread should be Rated R for Retard.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-06 at 02:46 AM.

Why do we care?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    There are actually quite a few explicit parts of the WoW world. Dark brooding "cultists," Blood everywhere, and all sorts of gore and profanity. I think the ESRB should take another look at the game.

Why wouldn't they want it rated M for Mature anyway?
    All the teenagers and kids they want to play the game. The millions of dollars they have made from that market over the years. If that stuff you mentioned was on a tv show or movie it wouldn't get it an R rating M is the equivalent for games.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

This thread is bait stop posting

this thread is bait stop posting

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-06 at 02:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, while there are a few things that are kinda eh (like those damn succubus thing which are a slaughter on sight to me) I think WoW stays within the proper line of remaining "T for teen" for the most part.

If anything it needs to be "T for teen, so why is your damn 11-year-old here?"

7+ Year Old Account
    While I see your point (sort of) I really don't think it should be M.

Where is there blood all over the ground?
    The guy getting somehow turned into several rib cage halves is quite low res.
    Take into account, the game never really directly states that the NPCs want to have... intercourse (keeping it G) with you. Also, everything wants to kill you in this game.
    People can say f*** in a PG-13 movie, they can say "bitch" in a game.
    With this... I see your point a bit more. But for most trigger words there's a filter.
    I don't see how witchcraft and "evil worshiping" would make a game M... it's not like any of the NPCs randomly spout "hail the devil" or something.
    I admit, the abominations are a bit of a grey area for even me.
    I see your point with this last one, but there isn't an age limit for mental illness.
    Lock rocks, made to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrd View Post
    This thread is bait stop posting

this thread is bait stop posting

Infracted
    And that is why he makes them. Hell his avatar even hints at it for those that haven't seen any of his other ones.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."