Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Lore-wise, how powerful is our character?

I mean, we've defeated Deathwing, Arthas, Illidan, smacked around Kiljaden, sliced up Mannoroth, even "killed" Death. So, Lords of Lore, how pwerful are we? Are we really lucky Leroys? Or are we on par with the heroes(Jaina, Varian,Thrall, Voljin, etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's safe to say that we're kind of a big deal.

The player character has gotten more important over time. We're often addressed as a hero, and our actions in Northrend/during Cata are mentioned in MoP. In WoD, we're sent on the suicide mission through the Dark Portal because we're some of the last heroes of our faction. Plus, we start raising an army (garrisons) to fight the Iron Horde, which means we've gone from being a rank-and-file soldier to more of a commander.

Really not that powerful. Almost every single big baddie we've faced we've had help fighting it. Deathwing took 4 dragon aspects of Thrall. Ashbringer defeated Arthas, not us. Illidan we had help from 2 strong fighters. Kil'Jaden was at his half strength and it still took us and bunch of dragons to defeat. Etc etc.

ive heard we are not that powerful because every boss that we've defeated, we needed help. LK the paladin defeated him, kiljaden was not full power, etc etc

Lorewise we're just the 'units' of the armies. Like in Warcraft 3. We're the footmen, riflemen, wolf rider and grunt.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aligerous View Post
    It's safe to say that we're kind of a big deal.

The player character has gotten more important over time. We're often addressed as a hero, and our actions in Northrend/during Cata are mentioned in MoP. In WoD, we're sent on the suicide mission through the Dark Portal because we're some of the last heroes of our faction. Plus, we start raising an army (garrisons) to fight the Iron Horde, which means we've gone from being a rank-and-file soldier to more of a commander.
    Thats kinda what I thought. Even though, yes we've had help...we still were the deciding factor. I forgot Malygos, who, at the time we confronted him, was supposedly several levels of magnitude higher than the Aspects put together.

well, going by a check list:

helped kill Archimonde ( well sent him back to the nether)

kicked Kel'thazad's ass, twice.

helped kill Arthas

helped kill death wing

and now laid siege to Orgimmar and toppled the orc leader.

so, we are the backbone of these efforts because WE are the ones engaging in it but as pebrocks mentioned not without some help from azeroths super heroes.

lo are the days when Thrall just sent us off to kill the dark hordes chieftain and killed the black dragons on our own. now the super characters have to steal our thunder.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2014-06-03 at 08:56 PM.

Deleted
    We are heroes of the *insert faction*
    I think we are somewhere between normal townsfolk and the more powerfull npc's (thrall, jaina, ...)
    Think the 10/25/40 is mainly for gameplay reasons, i don't know how/if the past battles are mentioned in the books/comics.

Lore wise? We don't even really exist. We're 'adventurers' or soldiers fighting on the front lines. We can't really claim to have done anything ourselves, merely helped lore heroes achieve victory.

Essentially our characters are placeholders for dozens or hundreds of other unsung heroes, since it would be pretty much impossible for one person to solve all the world's problems single handedly.

Our characters are essentially a game convenience that has little to no bearing on the actual lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're certainly not on par with the legendary people such as Jaina, Medivh, or Thrall. Its hard to put it into an analogy without knowing where your interests lie, but in the most simple terms I can think of, on a scale of 1-10 the player is like a 7, maybe 8, tops. We are easily above average, but we are not the most powerful mortals in the world, and there are clearly things beyond mortal that totally dwarf our abilities such as Titans and Old Gods.

The things you have to keep in mind is that in the world of the game, there are not millions of heroes. Each of us is basically the only hero in our own personal universes that happen to all overlap. Also, as others have said, we don't handle every bad guy alone. Usually we have either armies helping us as was the case with the Lich King, or we have legendary figures supporting us, as was the case with Deathwing.

I would say that in the grand scheme of things we are as powerful as the lesser characters in the lore. We're a commander/officer/general in the structure of our faction, but there are many who have more raw power than we do but aren't always there to be counted on for the heavy lifting. Which is why we're called upon so often.
    TAZI-BEAR ... da Beast

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW characters are essentially Hero characters from Warcraft 3. It doesn't mean anything beyond being above innumerable nameless soldier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazienne View Post
    We're certainly not on par with the legendary people such as Jaina, Medivh, or Thrall. Its hard to put it into an analogy without knowing where your interests lie, but in the most simple terms I can think of, on a scale of 1-10 the player is like a 7, maybe 8, tops. We are easily above average, but we are not the most powerful mortals in the world, and there are clearly things beyond mortal that totally dwarf our abilities such as Titans and Old Gods.

The things you have to keep in mind is that in the world of the game, there are not millions of heroes. Each of us is basically the only hero in our own personal universes that happen to all overlap. Also, as others have said, we don't handle every bad guy alone. Usually we have either armies helping us as was the case with the Lich King, or we have legendary figures supporting us, as was the case with Deathwing.

I would say that in the grand scheme of things we are as powerful as the lesser characters in the lore. We're a commander/officer/general in the structure of our faction, but there are many who have more raw power than we do but aren't always there to be counted on for the heavy lifting. Which is why we're called upon so often.
    I think this is the best answer.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

7+ Year Old Account

I agree, but then how did we defeat Malygos and Kelthud? We did that on our own....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    I agree, but then how did we defeat Malygos and Kelthud? We did that on our own....
    For Malygos we had red drakes to help finish him off. Kel'Thuzad, however, we did stomp ourselves. Twice.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account

Agreed.

We are powerful. We certainly are not some common farmer. But we are not heroes. The main lore characters (like Thrall) would destroy us. But we should be at least slightly stronger than your common knight or Kokron.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    For Malygos we had red drakes to help finish him off. Kel'Thuzad, however, we did stomp ourselves. Twice.
    Also, I don't take anything in game as canon. Blizz could have us solo Sargeras and in the larger scheme of things it is just a case of Gameplay > lore (which I hate BTW)

Strong, but I've always viewed wipes as the boss killing hundreds of faction champions before he's eventually brought down.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I'd say, in lore, not powerful at all. You should remember, we all DIED when we tried to take on the Lich King untill Tirion saved all our asses with the Ashbringer.
    In lore, we're mere "hero" spectators to be witnesses to the great deeds of the real heroes, Varian, Jaina, Thrall and so on and so on. In reality we're probably not that much stronger than a regular soldier.

Deleted
    We're heroes.

I suppose we're meant to be pretty powerful but within reason. A lot stronger than your average soldier but not as powerful as some well known Lore characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly weaker then someone like Varian, Thrall, Any Caster like class will trump us unless they're really crap. Really we can be close to it. Only characters we couldn't be as strong as are like Lich King, Deathwing Titans, Sargeras etc etc. I think we're probably a few levels below the faction leaders and such. Not far off but no way the same level.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I like to think of us as the black ops of the horde/alliance.
    We rarely if ever take charge of situations as true commanders, but we got the skills to do it when we deem it neccesary. The position of black ops/special ops also fits quite well with the task we are sent to do in wod. We are strong as hell in comparison with the genuine foot soldier, but politically, and lorewise we arent the driving factors in our factions.
    Think of us like the pinnacle of the foot soldiers, trespassing into the weaker power house lore characters domain but not overstepping them, ever.