Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I was just under the impression that GeForce Experience streaming really isn't that great compared to OBS.
    Uh? Everyone is saying it's amazing. Don't really see the point of getting a new cpu if he can use shadowplay or OBS with nvenc for more advanced settings. Just a psu & gpu upgrade should do it for him
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Uh? Everyone is saying it's amazing. Don't really see the point of getting a new cpu if he can use shadowplay or OBS with nvenc for more advanced settings.
    Unfortunately, Shadowplay can only stream at 720P.

Ran a couple limited tests using OBS/Shadowplay in Smite at 5000 Mbps streaming to Twitch 30FPS 720P (Lanczos in OBS). My i7-4770K @ 4.2 Ghz can handle up to "Medium" setting at 720P for CPU encoding in OBS.

Below are the approximate CPU encoding equivalent setting:
    - OBS + NVENC - Super Fast
    - Shadowplay - Very Fast
    - QuickSync - Faster to Fast

Below is the same test but at 1080P (CPU encoding maxes out at Fast):
    - OBS + NVENC - Between Ultrafast and Superfast
    - QuickSync - Very Fast

Shadowplay is easy to use, but the quality is worse than QuickSync, which is available on the i5-3350P.

AMD VCE isn't supported in OBS. AFAIK, VCE its quality is lower than NVENC (oldish source).
    Last edited by yurano; 2014-06-07 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Unfortunately, Shadowplay can only stream at 720P.
    Can't you stream at 1080p with nvenc in OBS? I managed to record at 300Mbps orsomething with nvenc. Also the i5 3350p doesn't have an IGP
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

OP; First thing I would do to solve the shutdown problem is install HWMonitor by CPUID. This will show you temperatures in the system and if you have a UPS hooked up to the system (via the data USB cable), it will show the power usage. Now install Prime95 and run this to stress the CPU, watch your temps and see if they go above 70C. Next install Furmark (or any other graphics benchmarking software) to stress the GPU. Now when you do the GPU stress and the comp shuts down while the temps seem ok, upgrade the PSU to at least 400W+. I suspect it is most likely the PSU that is undersized and running at near full load (causing it to overheat and be less efficient), or it just can't supply enough power when you start to stress the GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    OP; First thing I would do to solve the shutdown problem is install HWMonitor by CPUID. This will show you temperatures in the system and if you have a UPS hooked up to the system (via the data USB cable), it will show the power usage. Now install Prime95 and run this to stress the CPU, watch your temps and see if they go above 70C. Next install Furmark (or any other graphics benchmarking software) to stress the GPU. Now when you do the GPU stress and the comp shuts down while the temps seem ok, upgrade the PSU to at least 400W+. I suspect it is most likely the PSU that is undersized and running at near full load (causing it to overheat and be less efficient), or it just can't supply enough power when you start to stress the GPU.
    I agree that the PSU is very suspect. Thanks for the names of the specific programs to run. We are planning on running some tests this weekend. Thanks for the recommendations.