Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    I have seen a psychologist interviewed on the Colbert show that advised that all world rulers were at least borderline sociopaths.

This thread is full of some Hitler and old Catholic types I see... "You don't have the beliefs i'd like, KILL YOU NOW!" Like wtf is wrong with you people.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    Anything but fossil fuels is what I was hinting at. Yeah I guess. But if i want save the planet....gotta do what i gotta do.
    Are you aware that we're currently entirely capable of comfortably supporting the Earth's population, were it not for cack-handed Governments, corrupt officials, and general apathy towards the underprivileged?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Sure you can. Never say never. And when religion is gone, hopefully art and science will take it's place.
    So much art is inspired by religion... exactly what is your problem with religion?

- - - Updated - - -

Reduce the world's population to approximately 500,000,000. Humans who live in countries that lay in, and slightly north and south of, the equator would be depopulated. Next would be all 3rd world countries. Next would be all countries with highest crime rates, pollution rates, and so on. Usually these coincide with 3rd world countries. Next would be depopulating all overcrowded areas.

Any/all corrupt governments would be abolished.

Next would be switching to hydrogen, or electricity, or solar energy. Fossil fuels would no longer be used. All deforestation projects would be ended.

In a nutshell, anything to ensure the planet remains healthy and habitable. Reducing the population of the species that causes the most harm to he planet (humans) seems like the logical choice.
    What's with all the misanthropy? Kill 6.5b people for what?

- - - Updated - - -

Anything but fossil fuels is what I was hinting at. Yeah I guess. But if i want save the planet....gotta do what i gotta do.
    The planet always rebounds... it's not like we're blowing up the planet from the core...if humans stay around forever, earth will still be around...if/when we go extinct, it will still be around and essentially return to how it was in time.

Atheist secular authoritarian governments killed a hundred million born human beings in the 20th century for the crime of inconvenience, so, yeah, hard pass on world domination for their admirers.

I just find it funny how many people are saying they would do the things that would basically make them he villain in the epic trilogy of their own lives. Lots of little palpatines running around up in here.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You really don't want to reduce the world's population at this point. Focusing on clean energy, feeding/clothing/housing/educating those that don't have it and getting our species off this one planet and into the galaxy is the right solution (imo).

As ruler of the world you'd be able to BE the world's government, so no more corruption (ideally, lol).

No I'm pretty sure I want to reduce the population. I'd make sure the ones that remain would be mostly scientists, intellectually superior humans, that could then focus on clean energy and exploring the stars. Slums and ghettos would be empty and slowly overgrow with trees etc. You get where I'm going with this. Yeah.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    You know I'd suggest everyone here who keeps going on about this religion v space travel crap watch Babylon 5. (Strazinsky, being an atheist, treated the subject with way more respect than any of you seem to be capable of. He acknowledged that even that far in the future religion would still exist, and it would still exist even if you tried to "abolish it". History shows you can't stomp it out completely.)
    You do make a very valid point, and while I haven't seen Babylon 5, I have heard good things about it's treatment of religion and science. My point is that in our current society, which has nothing to do with B5, our social and science policies are based on stories that are in line with The Lord of the Rings; and people are ok with that. The historical inconsistencies, the lack of logic or reason and the intolerance of any other belief system (including those that actually agree with their "stories") makes me want to do away with the whole business.

Sure, some form of religion will always survive, but it wouldn't persist like a plague through our cultures as it does now. At least in the world I would rule. Religion would be fine, just keep your personal beliefs personal.

- - - Updated - - -

No I'm pretty sure I want to reduce the population. I'd make sure the ones that remain would be mostly scientists, intellectually superior humans, that could then focus on clean energy and exploring the stars. Slums and ghettos would be empty and slowly overgrow with trees etc. You get where I'm going with this. Yeah.
    I definitely see where you're going, and the desire to get rid of slums and the entitled rich is VERY attractive, but people are people, and we should try and keep as many as possible around - who knows where our next Einstein will come from, right?

Also amused by "get rid of religion so art can flourish". Um, unless "art" started in the like the 70s, religious awe has inspired more music and more visual art than pretty much everything else combined other than romantic love, I would wager. Oh gevalt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay the last few pages have turned into a debate about religion and that isn't cool here.

Closing.