Page 78 of 97 FirstFirst ...
28
68
76
77
78
79
80
88
... LastLast
  1. #1541
    Merely a Setback Jtbrig7390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    The internet is not the " must have thing ", see here in America, people can walk into a business, and ask for an application, and the tech savy stores have kiosks where people can use a computer to fill out an online application. OOHHHH AHHHHH.
    See here in america where I live it is a MUST HAVE THING because places don't have in store applications anymore.

    Go apply to Walmart/K-Mart or hell any store anywhere and good chance they tell you to do it online. Also each application normally requires 20-30mins to fill out. Therefor going to the libary is out of the question since you could only do 2 a DAY. People looking for jobs need to fill out as many as they can each day.

    The internet is also a good way to find out what place's are hiring and is a lot quicker then calling and walking around.

    Once again this is 2014 not 1980 the Internet and Cell Phones are NEEDED. Welcome to the future.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    (My Destiny 2 Clan) https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2407580 Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  2. #1542
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    26,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    See here in america where I live it is a MUST HAVE THING because places don't have in store applications anymore.

    Go apply to Walmart/K-Mart or hell any store anywhere and good chance they tell you to do it online. Also each application normally requires 20-30mins to fill out. Therefor going to the libary is out of the question since you could only do 2 a DAY. People looking for jobs need to fill out as many as they can each day.

    The internet is also a good way to find out what place's are hiring and is a lot quicker then calling and walking around.

    Once again this is 2014 not 1980 the Internet and Cell Phones are NEEDED. Welcome to the future.
    Ha, when I was applying to places liek Chipotles or Barnes and Noble for part time, was told that they moved their applications to online because its easier on them.

  3. #1543
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Still not free! Seattle's public transport was about 2$ per ride, and Ft. Worth is similar in price.
    I never said it was, i think the only " free " argument was someone saying internet at the library is free. But that is still low cost.

  4. #1544
    US has crappy public transportation.

    You wait a bus for 30 minutes and it never comes.

  5. #1545
    Titan Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    What?

    Traveling extensively, can't say I've seen ANY of this. If anything, portions in the US are getting LARGER. And in other countries the same thing, there's a variety of sizes and prices are significantly higher. It's going to depend on the location, urban or not. In countries where the min wage is significantly higher, I've seen prices probably 10% higher for 2.5x the US minimum wage. So far more people have far better quality of life for a small price hike, which is probably more a result of import tariffs and taxes than cost of production.

    In other words, none of what you said is even remotely true.
    Google Grocery Shrink Ray and youll find hundreds of products that reduced their size just so they wouldnt have to raise their price. We ARE getting less than we used to for the same money

  6. #1546
    Merely a Setback Jtbrig7390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I live in Ft. Worth. The nearest public library is NOT within walking distance, because crossing an interstate highway on foot is suicide.
    And in most states if not all is breaking the law.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    (My Destiny 2 Clan) https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2407580 Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  7. #1547
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I live in Ft. Worth. The nearest public library is NOT within walking distance, because crossing an interstate highway on foot is suicide.
    My nearest one is walk-able, and I live in a somewhat major city. It wouldn't be a comfortable walk. Not sure I'd enjoy writing cover letters and resumes there.

    And I'm kind of LOL about the public coffers thing. Problem: PEOPLE ARE GETTING FREE INTERWEBZ AND CAN PLAY ANGRY BIRDS! Solution: go to place funded from public coffers where you could play flash games if you felt like it.

    Heh.

    The Socratic Method is alive and well.

  8. #1548
    The Undying Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    So much for the tolerant left.
    Posts
    35,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Well, i'm not familiar with Blorch, but here in the USA, cities usually have multiple forms of public lost cost transportation, and small towns, well i heard feet or a bike will do the trick.
    The US' public transport networks are very rarely comprehensive and are often fairly expensive to use regularly. Not to mention that population centers in the US tend to be fairly diffuse compared to other countries which makes the average commute to work or any other destination a bit of a trip.

    So no, it's not an adequate solution when there's a much simpler alternative in the form of free internet.
    Do no harm, but take no shit.

  9. #1549
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    26,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I never said it was, i think the only " free " argument was someone saying internet at the library is free. But that is still low cost.
    2$ per ride, aka 1 way, is not cheap in the long term, especially for those already on a show string budget.

  10. #1550
    The Undying Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    So much for the tolerant left.
    Posts
    35,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Google Grocery Shrink Ray and youll find hundreds of products that reduced their size just so they wouldnt have to raise their price. We ARE getting less than we used to for the same money
    Good. The US' ridiculous portion sizes are in no small way contributing to the obesity epidemic.
    Do no harm, but take no shit.

  11. #1551
    Merely a Setback Jtbrig7390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Well, i'm not familiar with Blorch, but here in the USA, cities usually have multiple forms of public lost cost transportation, and small towns, well i heard feet or a bike will do the trick.
    ......Keep moving that goal post. Next thing your going to say is give people gas money to take you or barrow a rich friends internet.....
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    (My Destiny 2 Clan) https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2407580 Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  12. #1552
    Titan Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    - The intended policy isn't, "if you're on SNAP, you have to be miserable or else you don't really deserve it"
    It should be. If youre not miserable youre doing OK

  13. #1553
    All these silly arguments, meanwhile we rebuild other countries.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

  14. #1554
    The Undying Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    So much for the tolerant left.
    Posts
    35,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It should be. If youre not miserable youre doing OK
    Again, we live in a first world, industrialised country. Why should anyone, even on the lower end of society, be miserable?
    Do no harm, but take no shit.

  15. #1555
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    26,214
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My nearest one is walk-able, and I live in a somewhat major city. It wouldn't be a comfortable walk. Not sure I'd enjoy writing cover letters and resumes there.

    And I'm kind of LOL about the public coffers thing. Problem: PEOPLE ARE GETTING FREE INTERWEBZ AND CAN PLAY ANGRY BIRDS! Solution: go to place funded from public coffers where you could play flash games if you felt like it.

    Heh.
    Texas is weird like that. even our metro areas are pretty spread out, so interstate highways cross a lot of areas.

  16. #1556
    Titan Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Email? Important.

    Text? Important.

    Other features? Potentially important.

    Angry Birds? Nope.

    Why the fuck are we still debating phones? I need my employees to have them. blip bleep bloop, txt from Jim: "We're short handed tonight, can't get anyone to come in, help." etc. etc. etc. etc.
    And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone

  17. #1557
    The Undying Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    So much for the tolerant left.
    Posts
    35,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone
    Which, surprisingly, a cellphone allows you to do 24/7 for less expense than a landline.
    Do no harm, but take no shit.

  18. #1558
    Titan Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    11,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Again, if someone is struggling to make ends meet. Wouldn't it be better for them to save money where they can? They can have whatever the hell they want, i just would assume people with much hard ships would try to save where they can. It's not " asshole thinking ", it's called " hey we don't have a lot of money, we should try to save where we can "
    The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy. Giving them more isnt going to make them any more likely to save money

  19. #1559
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So no, it's not an adequate solution when there's a much simpler alternative in the form of free internet.
    I don't have qualms with free internet. Stating that there are government programs in place for people to have free phones, against the argument that the poor shouldn't have phones at all, was my point. Now me adding that " people who are poor, paying huge prices for data/text ", seems a tad silly to me when they have programs designed to specifically help them, and could use the money better in other more needed places, or even save.

  20. #1560
    Merely a Setback Jtbrig7390's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I never said it was, i think the only " free " argument was someone saying internet at the library is free. But that is still low cost.
    Ok now take that $2 x it by 2 thats $4 and now X that by 7 that is $28 a week to go daily to apply for jobs for 1hr at a library. That is half of the cost of a monthly phone bill in one week.. Now take the 28$ X that by 4 "4 weeks" that is $112. That cost more then both my Phone bill and internet put together.

    My phone bill is $45 and my internet is $35. So here is more basic math for you $45+$35=$80. Now take $80 from $112 that is $32 you save by NOT doing what you said.

    Logic must be a god dam superpower for some.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory|1TB WD Caviar Blue|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5|SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    (My Destiny 2 Clan) https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=2407580 Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •