Page 80 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Google Grocery Shrink Ray and youll find hundreds of products that reduced their size just so they wouldnt have to raise their price. We ARE getting less than we used to for the same money
    Good. The US' ridiculous portion sizes are in no small way contributing to the obesity epidemic.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Well, i'm not familiar with Blorch, but here in the USA, cities usually have multiple forms of public lost cost transportation, and small towns, well i heard feet or a bike will do the trick.
    ......Keep moving that goal post. Next thing your going to say is give people gas money to take you or barrow a rich friends internet.....
    My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jtbrig7390
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"
    My Twitch Streaming Games All The Time: http://www.twitch.tv/jtbrig7390

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    - The intended policy isn't, "if you're on SNAP, you have to be miserable or else you don't really deserve it"
    It should be. If youre not miserable youre doing OK

All these silly arguments, meanwhile we rebuild other countries.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

It should be. If youre not miserable youre doing OK
    Again, we live in a first world, industrialised country. Why should anyone, even on the lower end of society, be miserable?
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    My nearest one is walk-able, and I live in a somewhat major city. It wouldn't be a comfortable walk. Not sure I'd enjoy writing cover letters and resumes there.

And I'm kind of LOL about the public coffers thing. Problem: PEOPLE ARE GETTING FREE INTERWEBZ AND CAN PLAY ANGRY BIRDS! Solution: go to place funded from public coffers where you could play flash games if you felt like it.

Heh.
    Texas is weird like that. even our metro areas are pretty spread out, so interstate highways cross a lot of areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Email? Important.

Text? Important.

Other features? Potentially important.

Angry Birds? Nope.

Why the fuck are we still debating phones? I need my employees to have them. blip bleep bloop, txt from Jim: "We're short handed tonight, can't get anyone to come in, help." etc. etc. etc. etc.
    And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone

And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone
    Which, surprisingly, a cellphone allows you to do 24/7 for less expense than a landline.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Again, if someone is struggling to make ends meet. Wouldn't it be better for them to save money where they can? They can have whatever the hell they want, i just would assume people with much hard ships would try to save where they can. It's not " asshole thinking ", it's called " hey we don't have a lot of money, we should try to save where we can "
    The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy. Giving them more isnt going to make them any more likely to save money

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So no, it's not an adequate solution when there's a much simpler alternative in the form of free internet.
    I don't have qualms with free internet. Stating that there are government programs in place for people to have free phones, against the argument that the poor shouldn't have phones at all, was my point. Now me adding that " people who are poor, paying huge prices for data/text ", seems a tad silly to me when they have programs designed to specifically help them, and could use the money better in other more needed places, or even save.

I never said it was, i think the only " free " argument was someone saying internet at the library is free. But that is still low cost.
    Ok now take that $2 x it by 2 thats $4 and now X that by 7 that is $28 a week to go daily to apply for jobs for 1hr at a library. That is half of the cost of a monthly phone bill in one week.. Now take the 28$ X that by 4 "4 weeks" that is $112. That cost more then both my Phone bill and internet put together.

My phone bill is $45 and my internet is $35. So here is more basic math for you $45+$35=$80. Now take $80 from $112 that is $32 you save by NOT doing what you said.

Logic must be a god dam superpower for some.
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jtbrig7390 "fallow for streaming details and all types of game updates"

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, why does being on public assistance mean you should be miserable?
    Because being miserable is motivation to do more and improve yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    ......Keep moving that goal post. Next thing your going to say is give people gas money to take you or barrow a rich friends internet.....
    Keep not being able to read/comprehend.

The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy. Giving them more isnt going to make them any more likely to save money
    Right. It couldn't be because the US doesn't have a structure that supports social mobility.

Why is them spending money a bad thing?
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Employees that are constantly stressed or unhappy, which a lack of entertainment would cause, tend to be terrible employees. Never underestimate the amount of produdtivity you get out of a reasonably happy employee vs a depressed one.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak
    don't get mad at me because I didn't know you were a transethnic genderqueer otherkin neo-communist conservative tumblrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut
    Just put Howard on the border patrol squad, because nothing gets past him.

Take a wild guess what we barely had 20 years ago....ill wait.

Telephonic

Joined June 2014

First post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Telephonic View Post
    Welcome to debating with Wells.
    So you have debated with wells in the past? Is your main username banned at the moment?

Not surprising considering you are a transparently conservative shill who is defending widespread electoral fraud. Still, however, against the forums rules.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-06-08 at 12:39 AM.
    Just a few examples of typical conservatives. Read at your own risk:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Totally cool with abortion in rape scenarios, but making it widely available or expecting employers to provide it incentivizes women to whore themselves out and creates a nuisance
    The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy

Because being miserable is motivation to do more and improve yourself
    So then, logically speaking, middle class people never have the desire to become wealthier?

This 'poor people should suffer so they will have an incentive to stop being poor' argument is complete garbage.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If I were struggling to make ends meet, I would still want email access, as it's essential for securing all sorts of better employment opportunities, talking to landlords, etc. Having it on the fly is even better. As such, I would go with a smartphone and save money by not having cable at home. A smartphone is cheaper than cable in most cases.
    Someone struggling to make ends meet shouldnt even have cable

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its already been said and proven many times.

Cell Phones and Internet is a MUST HAVE thing This is 2014 not 1980. Things like jobs require both to have and to get.

Still waiting for the details on these "Bells and whistles" you talked about.

You do know those working for minimum wage and on goverment assitance can only save so much right? It isn't has simple as your trying to make it sound.
    Bells and whistles are anything beyond the ability to make a phone call or SMS text

Someone struggling to make ends meet shouldnt even have cable
    Give us a legitimate reason why.
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber