Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Because they have no real qualifications, but get bonus points because of various things that have nothing to do with ability, and are employed in do nothing jobs that entail things like "installing software".
    Boots up OS
    Arguement OS
    "Would you like to keep arguing with Orlong"

Yes or Cancel
    I swear that was more funny in my head
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    LOL LDASKFDSJKFSDFKLNJKLNJKLD

You should meet 17 year old me. There was not a thing in the world that could have caused me to give a fuck. That poor teacher would do well to trade the task you've set before him or her for all of Hercules' 12 tasks, even as a mere mortal.
    Dont worry, Orlong is perfectly happy to bitch about lazy kids and how its their fault things don't work out for them when the position is convenient for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Dont worry, Orlong is perfectly happy to bitch about lazy kids and how its their fault things don't work out for them when the position is convenient for him.
    bitches about laziness, but is fat himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You could look at the grades the students are getting. If they are getting shitty grades, then they have shitty teachers
    Typically the inverse is true. Teachers with an abundance of A's and B's are often less stringent in terms of the quality they demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Yes. A teacher's job isnt just to impart knowledge to you, its to motivate students to want to succeed as well.
    Really hard to do that when you call a student a peace of shit daily.

Kinda sets the kids mood for the rest of the day don't you think.

To be clear I was talking about what happen to me in Middle School and High School. Yes I admit I was a asshole in school but a lot of that had to do with teachers/school staff that was a outright asshole to me on top of dealing with asshole kids. Like I said kinda sets the mood for the rest of the day.

Also dose not help when teachers pick students they like and ignore the rest.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. A teacher's job isnt just to impart knowledge to you, its to motivate students to want to succeed as well. Also good parents help too. When I was in school my parents telling me I better get good grades because as soon as I graduate I have to move out and getting a job is hard when you get bad grades, was enough to motivate me to get good grades
    Don't think you have the slightest knowledge of what it takes to be a teacher.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Fat, wildly unmotivated, has a classic makework government job, has never had a private sector role above menial labor, yet convinced of great work ethic. Drs. Dunning and Kruger need to report directly to this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could look at the grades the students are getting. If they are getting shitty grades, then they have shitty teachers
    'No child left behind' is bullshit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Child_Left_Behind_Act

If you judge a teachers success by the amount of students that pass the class, you are creating a system where passing is paramount to getting an education. The reality is that children are different, they learn things differently. The key to education is not to create incentive to pass students, but apply methods that encourage learning. Here is where I think the key is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedagogy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dewey

It's a lot more complex than tossing admiration at teachers who are willing to pass more students.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    It's cheaper to rent a Uhaul truck than to buy groceries for a week where I live. Your point?
    I think his point was that it is your choice if you want to live in a $1500 per month apartment or go elsewhere.

I agree with that much. Ever since moving down south, I realized how badly I was being ripped off up north. It's ridiculous. I grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment with no A/C and crappy heat. The tiles were bad in the bathroom and the paint was peeling. We had roaches and mice to the point where I actually got good at developing homemade mouse traps. The neighborhood was bad and someone actually got murdered in the basement of the buildings. Everything cost you money if you used it on premises so we would take our laundry elsewhere which was cheaper.

That place cost my mom $900 per month and this is back in the early 2000s. They upped her rent to $1150 before she was forced to leave.

Down "south". I am about to move into a nice townhome style apartment. 3 bedroom, 2 baths, parking space, in home washer dryer unit, Central air, a balcony, nice neighborhood (actually one of the more expensive ones) and its gated. It will cost me $800 per month and the only reason is because my sister wants to stay with me to save money and she demands a room for her 2 year old.

So while I don't hate people for choosing to stay in places like NY since I was born in NY and I do miss the city, I will question their sanity if they have the opportunity to move and find job in their new location and they still choose to live like slaves in a place like NY City. It isn't rocket science. Your money goes farther in areas where the cost of living is lower. When you are living off minimum wage, you would be able to live a hell of a lot better in a different area.

I dont do data entry. Thats a small portion of my job. I also repair computers, install software, solve network problems, install new computer equipment (luggin it up stairs many times) and other general IT work
    Dude, I did that for a living 60 hours per week for 4 years when I went into business for myself, I still rarely made more than $400 a week after expenses and I did all that and then some.

Hell, the guys at the local Bestbuy do that and make less than $10 an hour, the driving guys make about $12 per hour. The funny thing is before I tried to join the army I applied to them and got turned down from a $10 an hour job because they had a 2 year college requirement with certifications for a position where literally the year before they would refer all the problems they couldn't fix to ME specifically because I could fix more than they could.

Sorry man, but if you are working 40 hours per week and all you do is data entry, repair, networking, and software, you wouldn't make more than $18 an hour at BEST, probably closer to $12 an hour where I live and myself and a few other people I know could do it right along with you.

How would you like to be doing all that and being told you are only worth $12 an hour? Because that is what many have to deal with.

And to many others, they literally will have to work upwards of 6 to 8 years to hit $12 an hour which by that time, inflation takes it down to about what they had. I know Walmart gives out about 40 cent per YEAR raises which is about on par if not less than the rate of inflation depending on the year if you do the job right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. A teacher's job isnt just to impart knowledge to you, its to motivate students to want to succeed as well.
    This just in: bringing horses to water will also make them drink that water.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Hey! Hey! It's hard work keeping up this magnificent physique!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait...I'm lost after going through the last 10 pages I missed yesterday...So the person who is so against a minimum wage increase is a 41 year old man making $45,000 a year because a $15 minimum wage would mean that a Fry Cook would suddenly make 2/3 of his income ($31,000) - Well now I see this is nothing more than petty jealousy and anecdotal evidence that "Dem damn kids are getting everything I had to work hard for" is complete and total bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's extremely simplistic and ignores many factors that can go into a student's grades.

Sure, in some cases, yes, the teacher is shit
    Or the student is shit
    Or the student doesn't have time for other reasons to study
    Or he has a learning disability.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Wait...I'm lost after going through the last 10 pages I missed yesterday...So the person who is so against a minimum wage increase is a 41 year old man making $45,000 a year because a $15 minimum wage would mean that a Fry Cook would suddenly make 2/3 of his income ($31,000) - Well now I see this is nothing more than petty jealousy and anecdotal evidence that "Dem damn kids are getting everything I had to work hard for" is complete and total bullshit.
    That is nothing.

It is well known that millionaires get upset for software engineers make $100k+.
    They swear to outsource these jobs, and ask congress for more H-1 quote.

In WoW, a fantasy game, elites with ilevel 570+ are all over LFR for some crappy 528 gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    That's extremely simplistic and ignores many factors that can go into a student's grades.

Sure, in some cases, yes, the teacher is shit
    Or the student is shit
    Or the student doesn't have time for other reasons to study
    Or he has a learning disability.
    Teachers have gotten way more lax and lenient than they used to be. While this doesn't apply to ALL teachers, in general it's a lot easier to make an A just putting in the effort and not actually getting everything right. I'd say our friend here is notorious for criticizing the current generation for always being given a trophy, that every body wins and they're being taught that you don't really have to compete that hard to win.

When a teacher just hands out good grades to every student, that doesn't necessarily mean they've learned anything. And I'd say if they get BAD grades in this day and age, it's more on the shoulders of the student than the teacher. I'm very good friends with a university professor, lived next to them my whole life. They used to be very strict about paying attention in class, not texting or using our phones. When I went through their class, if a phone rang or someone was texting, they'd confiscate it. While some teachers take this attitude that the student should be responsible for their own grade and if they want to text they can, others actually care about their students learning. That same professor no longer confiscates phone and has to begrudgingly let their students sit through the whole class surfing the net on their phones because some PARENTS complained on behalf of their child that their child's phone was confiscated for the entirety of one whole class. The horror. We're talking college here, not middle school.

When I was growing up, if I got bad grades it was my fault, and I had to fix it or face the consequences. More and more these days I see parents getting on TEACHERS because their perfect little pumpkin could NEVER make bad grades.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    When I was growing up, if I got bad grades it was my fault, and I had to fix it or face the consequences. More and more these days I see parents getting on TEACHERS because their perfect little pumpkin could NEVER make bad grades.
    Speaking as a teacher, there's something to be said for it being the teacher's responsibility to ensure learning. Evaluations, like tests and such, are only partially so students and parents can see where the kid stands; they're also very much for the teacher to evaluate their own teaching, and see which students need greater assistance for some reason.

And a student not giving a shit isn't an excuse; motivation is part of a teacher's responsibility.

That said, I'm speaking from a teacher's perspective. When it comes to implementation, if a student is struggling and gets a bad grade, that's reason for the teacher to try and figure out what's wrong. That doesn't mean the error is the teacher's fault. Like Adam Jensen said, it could be a learning disability that's undiagnosed. It could be their home/personal life. It could be a host of things. A bad grade is the student's "fault". Consistent bad grades are usually the teacher's fault, however. There are occasional "bad eggs", but they're a tiny percentage, and mostly it boils down to teachers lacking the resources to give them the targeted support they need.

But then, I also teach in a setting that uses rubrics and the like for evaluations, rather than simple percentages. So it's very much built around understanding your students.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    and mostly it boils down to teachers lacking the resources to give them the targeted support they need.
    I strongly feel this is the case more often than not.

To be clear, I don't like speaking in absolutes since few things in this existence are truly absolute and there are always individual cases that can be brought up as an example of an opposite opinion. So I admit right away that some teachers are bad, while some students just suck, sometimes parents need to get involved and sometimes Yeti's come down from the mountains for a nice circle jerk session.

I feel that a lot of times teachers just have their hands tied.The one complaint I hear from educators at all grade levels, no matter what the district, state or kind of funding they have is that they have to follow some kind of lesson plan and simply cannot devote the time to help stragglers. That was my issue in school too. I was smart (so they say). Talented and Gifted Program's until I felt sick of it. But even I would get snagged up at a certain small part in a lesson. This woudl be a small area but necessary to do the rest of teh work properly and if I simply had a day or two to really get into my issue I would have done way better.

But teachers can't do that. They have to stick to a plan more often and cannot really give individual attention like they want. Scholl is basically an assembly line and I feel that is teh biggest issue since we all do not learn the same way or at the same pace. We are not robots where it takes X amount of time to download the program into our skulls.

So yeah, while there is a lot going on with teh education system, I feel the very structure of it (Teach to time and not understanding) is our biggest problem with K-12 education. And teh only solution anyone ever suggests is to start teaching certain things earlier. Why not change the WAY it is taught rather than teach it the same failed way but sooner?

bottom line is that the price of living will go up along with the minimum wage. there will always be people who are poor. always. no helping that. the problem with minimum wage going up is that the value of the dollar will go down. you will still have trouble with paying your bills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lost account View Post
    bottom line is that the price of living will go up along with the minimum wage. there will always be people who are poor. always. no helping that. the problem with minimum wage going up is that the value of the dollar will go down. you will still have trouble with paying your bills.
    Why do people keep repeating things that patently aren't true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why do people keep repeating things that patently aren't true.
    The 1% spend a lot of money on their propaganda.
    Putin khuliyo