Page 77 of 92 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Email? Important.

Text? Important.

Other features? Potentially important.

Angry Birds? Nope.

Why the fuck are we still debating phones? I need my employees to have them. blip bleep bloop, txt from Jim: "We're short handed tonight, can't get anyone to come in, help." etc. etc. etc. etc.
    And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And what did you do 20 years ago? You called jim on his home phone and can still do that. IF Jim is on call he should be near his phone
    Which, surprisingly, a cellphone allows you to do 24/7 for less expense than a landline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Again, if someone is struggling to make ends meet. Wouldn't it be better for them to save money where they can? They can have whatever the hell they want, i just would assume people with much hard ships would try to save where they can. It's not " asshole thinking ", it's called " hey we don't have a lot of money, we should try to save where we can "
    The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy. Giving them more isnt going to make them any more likely to save money

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So no, it's not an adequate solution when there's a much simpler alternative in the form of free internet.
    I don't have qualms with free internet. Stating that there are government programs in place for people to have free phones, against the argument that the poor shouldn't have phones at all, was my point. Now me adding that " people who are poor, paying huge prices for data/text ", seems a tad silly to me when they have programs designed to specifically help them, and could use the money better in other more needed places, or even save.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I never said it was, i think the only " free " argument was someone saying internet at the library is free. But that is still low cost.
    Ok now take that $2 x it by 2 thats $4 and now X that by 7 that is $28 a week to go daily to apply for jobs for 1hr at a library. That is half of the cost of a monthly phone bill in one week.. Now take the 28$ X that by 4 "4 weeks" that is $112. That cost more then both my Phone bill and internet put together.

My phone bill is $45 and my internet is $35. So here is more basic math for you $45+$35=$80. Now take $80 from $112 that is $32 you save by NOT doing what you said.

Logic must be a god dam superpower for some.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Again, why does being on public assistance mean you should be miserable?
    Because being miserable is motivation to do more and improve yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    ......Keep moving that goal post. Next thing your going to say is give people gas money to take you or barrow a rich friends internet.....
    Keep not being able to read/comprehend.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason many people are poor is because they DONT save any spare money they have. They blow it on things to entertain them or make them happy. Giving them more isnt going to make them any more likely to save money
    Right. It couldn't be because the US doesn't have a structure that supports social mobility.

Why is them spending money a bad thing?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Employees that are constantly stressed or unhappy, which a lack of entertainment would cause, tend to be terrible employees. Never underestimate the amount of produdtivity you get out of a reasonably happy employee vs a depressed one.

Take a wild guess what we barely had 20 years ago....ill wait.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Telephonic

Joined June 2014

First post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Telephonic View Post
    Welcome to debating with Wells.
    So you have debated with wells in the past? Is your main username banned at the moment?

Not surprising considering you are a transparently conservative shill who is defending widespread electoral fraud. Still, however, against the forums rules.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-06-08 at 12:39 AM.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

10+ Year Old Account
    So then, logically speaking, middle class people never have the desire to become wealthier?

This 'poor people should suffer so they will have an incentive to stop being poor' argument is complete garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If I were struggling to make ends meet, I would still want email access, as it's essential for securing all sorts of better employment opportunities, talking to landlords, etc. Having it on the fly is even better. As such, I would go with a smartphone and save money by not having cable at home. A smartphone is cheaper than cable in most cases.
    Someone struggling to make ends meet shouldnt even have cable

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Its already been said and proven many times.

Cell Phones and Internet is a MUST HAVE thing This is 2014 not 1980. Things like jobs require both to have and to get.

Still waiting for the details on these "Bells and whistles" you talked about.

You do know those working for minimum wage and on goverment assitance can only save so much right? It isn't has simple as your trying to make it sound.
    Bells and whistles are anything beyond the ability to make a phone call or SMS text

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone struggling to make ends meet shouldnt even have cable
    Give us a legitimate reason why.

I haven't had a home phone for well over a decade. It's more expensive to add it to my TV/Internet package than to get a basic cellphone.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bells and whistles are anything beyond the ability to make a phone call or SMS text
    That would be true if internet wasn't a necessity, which it happens to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Ha, when I was applying to places liek Chipotles or Barnes and Noble for part time, was told that they moved their applications to online because its easier on them.
    All jobs do it now and have been for years. About six years ago when I was job hunting my neighbor told me his job was hiring. I provided my resume and they returned a letter back to me saying that they cant accept it and I have to apply online. I'm sure they program it in such a way that it looks for specific candidates. One more job taken by a computer system away from an actual person. If candidate does not have 'x' degree remove. If candidate does not have 'x' certification then remove. If candidate does not have 'x' experience then remove. I'm sure it's something like that until they are left with a few applications out of hundreds so they don't need to hire someone to go through them all.

My current job I had to apply online. Was given several tests including an exam that I had to take online before even being invited to come to the building that you cant get passed the front door without security approval. There's not such thing anymore as walking to a store and providing a resume or calling in and asking for a job. Maybe for a small mom and pop shop but not anything besides that.
    Last edited by avx81; 2014-06-08 at 12:40 AM.

Once again most phone companys are getting rid of phones that just do that.

So now all these "Bells and Whistles" are in your Cell Phone Plan no matter what.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the new sig <3
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

You know what works better than being miserable?

Being given the means to actually improve yourself. That is why the US is among the lowest in social mobility along with some of the worst first world pay, they are actually highly related.