Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Things to do in GW2 *SOLO*

I returned to GW2 a few days ago, I hadn't played since shortly after launch and I figured I'd complete some achievements so I completed all the zones and did all of the exploration (aside from one area that can only be reached through an event).

I'd like to continue to mess around *SOLO* but I can't figure out what to do, all the content they added since launch appears to be group content or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

(And please no snide comments on how it's a MMO is needed I'm fully aware of what it is.)

There isn't really a lot you can do solo. I mean you can que for solo arena in pvp, but you are grouped with 4 others once a match is found.

Right now with the festival of the four winds you can do some solo stuff. The Crown Pavillion in Divinity's Reach is good for some solo stuff. Inside the Crown Pavillion there is a thing called the Queen's Gauntlent and basically fight some 'bosses' 1 on 1 and everytime you beat one you move up to a harder one and each of them has a pretty unique strategy you have to know to beat them. It is decently challenging and you get a title, some bosses are easier for certain professions though.

I would definitely check out the labyrinthine cliffs, it is a vertical map. It is basically a huge jumping puzzle and there are crystals hidden throughout the whole map that you can collect for an achievement. You also get a new set of abilities for this map, you use air, sun and lightning to get around the map.

Also there is a new jumping puzzle outside of Lions Arch you might consider trying.

Oh I already did some stuff on that cliff thing (I needed the 2 poi's and waypoints) and I do have quite a few jumping puzzles to do as well.

I tried the fractals "explorable area" but I'm going to assume that it's also for groups only since I got totally owned there.

Guess I have to level some other characters or something.

The whole evil sylvari storyline is gone now or what or was that group stuff as well?

Which evil sylvari stuff? If you mean Scarlet she is dead. Also fractals are group conent. Leveling a character may be the best thing for you to do, it really depends what you like to do.

You may be interested in playing on July 1st, it is the 2nd season of the living story and I am fairly confident they are adding a new map.

Well the game doesnt treat gruping as such and most of the mechanics rely on your map players coordinating, crown pavillion is a great example, pugs can be extremelly organized and get you a lot of gold or be a bit clunky and take you longer.

If you dont wanna interact with anybody at all then go to queen's gauntlet which is the 2nd floor of the crown pavillion, some fights are really nicely designed.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Thanks both of you.

I do not hate interacting with people or anything, but when I'm messing around I just don't like to commit to a fixed group, teaming up with people in zones and whatnot I'm fine with.

And yes I meant the Scarlet story, I assume it's no longer accessible.

Not sure if I'd even enjoy leveling new characters now that I did everything with one character but at least the birthdays presents gave me a lot of level 20 chars with the boost it provided so at least I don't have to unlock skill slots.

@Doozerjun, I'm perfectly aware of what I NEED a group for, I was wondering if there was anything I still hadn't done aside from dungeons.

My recomendation for you is queen's pavillion then, gives some challenge, it's not overwhelming and it's rewarding, crown's pavillion isn't as hard as you'd think, the communication is not as "hardcore" as someone would expect, most of it is just "split between bosses, burst, stop, tell me %, burst"
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

You can always solo dungeons, it's reasonably fun (once).
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

My level 80 is a ranger, from what I understand they are not that good at soloing dungeons (since there isn't much room to kite) and besides that I already did them all at launch - but I guess it's something to do if I can't think of anything else

You could try getting all of your account medals. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account_Medals

If you get a character past the level 39 personal story quest you get the Vigil, Durmand Priory and Order of Whispers medals (depending on which order you chose). I just did this recently and it wasn't too bad since I had some instant lvl 20s. I had fun doing it, I mostly did it though because I am OCD about having empty medal slots lol.

I still have to get a legendary and I doubt that will ever happen haha.

Soloing as a ranger an in depth guide! (by Meledelion)
    Step 1: Get a bear (preferably Black but doesn't matter much) as main pet
    Step 2: Get another bear or a drake (preferably River) but doesn't matter much) as secondary pet
    Step 3: Equip an appropriate bow (swiftness vs knockback etc + LB = zerker/sin, SB = Condition)
    Step 4: Equip Signet of Stone, Signet of the Wild and Guard (super safe mode)
    Step 5: Pick between WS(Bark Skin)/NM(Nature's Voice)/BM(Natural Healing)
    Step 6: Send in pet, use skills and swaps to keep it alive
    Step 7: Range and kill everything

Ranger is one of the easiest classes to solo with, it won't be quick though.
    I personally found it fun to learn fights this way and you just chip away survival attributes when you go at it again (and then do it in melee). A very important thing which people tend to forget is that conditions do work when soloing stuff and they can be extremely potent.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

If you want to do content that can be done by yourself (i.e. no one involved), you might want to try the following:
    - jumping puzzles (while easier with more than one person, they can be done completely solo)
    - finishing your personal story
    - completing the current living story meta-achievement
    - zone exploration (although you've done most of that already)
    - leveling alts (an extra lvl 80 character always comes in handy)
    - node/material farming (although this might be quite boring)

As for things you can participate in without actually joining a party, there are:
    - world events (grouping is required for the more difficult events, but the easy world events usually don't require you to be in a party)
    - champion trains
    - karma trains

And there are of course the mundane things like completing your daily achievements that usually require no grouping (unless your going for daily champ/daily group event, and even then you can just join in without ever making contact with anyone).

There is usually enough to do on your own if you look for it hard enough, but I would also advice you to do some group content (story and explorable mode dungeon, fractals etc.), since it can actually be a lot of fun to group up with friends and overcome a challenge together.
    Accusing someone of breaking the forum rules is backseat moderating.
    Accusing someone of backseat moderating is backseat moderating.
    Therefore, due to its nature, backseat moderating will lead to nothing more than circular discussions.

@worprz

I have an alt almost at the level for getting the second order medal so I'll have that done soon.

@Meledelion

Pretty much how I'm already setup but unlike say WoW I don't really see the point in soloing old instances - will it make a lot of gold/skins or something?

@Shortcut

I already did my personal story back on launch I can't see that there was added anything I could do or am I wrong here?

My sister once said of GW2 that the effect of playing the game was like a single player game- "...everyone just so happens to be solo-ing alongside each other."

I think that is the truest statement about Guild Wars 2 possible. The entire game can be played solo for the most part. Some events or activities take place alongside the presence of others, naturally. Though players don't necessarily need to be in a group; simply among the crowd.

It's very possible the OP is sincere in "solo" content not having the presence of other players. I don't think that is wholly possible given the nature of a game where anyone can wander up as you are doing a jumping puzzle, fighting a champion ogre or collecting firewood.

However, is one truly playing cooperatively as some necessity of game design in these scenarios?

One can do almost every activity solo in GW2. Most of those actives just so happen alongside the presence of other people. Other players may as well be NPCs in many cases though.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-06-05 at 11:38 AM.

You didn't really read the thread did you?

I do not mind playing with other people, I specifically said I did not mind playing with other people I just didn't want to commit to a fixed group.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    You didn't really read the thread did you?
    You can't really create a thread and just get replies to your specific situation or question alone. Threads exist as a premise- others will see this thread for months to come. So every topic on every forum exists as an umbrella under which a general idea takes shelter.

I do not mind playing with other people, I specifically said I did not mind playing with other people I just didn't want to commit to a fixed group.
    I said it was "very possible" you were sincere in the desire to play solo (no group). The larger question I am getting at is what is truly solo in GW2?

Yes, we can play this game without being forced into groups for a large part of the available content. We can also play in an environment where other players are free to play alongside us. But is the former more "solo" than the latter?

I think it's about the same in terms of experience- "solo" (no group) and solo (no group, anonymous people sharing in the environment) . Unless we specifically want to do group content (e.g. fractals or some organized event), of course.

My answer to the premise of "things to do solo" would be, "almost everything"*.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pretty much how I'm already setup but unlike say WoW I don't really see the point in soloing old instances - will it make a lot of gold/skins or something?
    Depends how good you are at soloing, a Friend and I tag-teamed AC "solo" and sold paths for 2-5g*4(people)*3(paths)=42G(+4.5g for the first time you do it) in about 30-40min.

(we didn't use rangers though )

Interesting that I should see this, I played GW2 a lot at the start and returned occasionally when WoW had a content draught. I don't feel that there's a lot to do on your own when there aren't any other random players around to help you with giant elites / group events / etc., especially if you literally don't know anybody on your realm. Seeing as how I always play tank in every game that I can, that's another factor why I didn't really liked the dungeons when I did them either. I tried grinding my professions for a bit, but the "anti-farm" mechanic kinda fucked me over there.

I don't think this is the game for me :/

something that might be interesting to you:

Today Anet announced the Living Story Journal. It's a feature which starts with Season 2 of the living story in July.

* All new story episodes will become permanently unlocked instead of 2 weeks only
    * You can replay the missions (just like in GW1) and try to finish some challenging achievement with each episode whenever and how often you like
    * also temporary meta-achievement rewards are gone in favour for permanent LS-achievements

and all for free, you only have to log in once every 2 weeks
    (if you miss an episode, you can get it for 200gems (about 20 gold which equals 10-20 dungeon runs)) from the gemstore)

Previous episodes (LS-Season 1) which you have missed isn't available to unlock, but they are looking into it. Maybe you will be able to buy those for some gems in the future (similar to bonus mission packs in GW1)
    Last edited by Maarius; 2014-06-06 at 06:06 PM.

Don't know about you but I can spend hours running around solo on my thief just flipping camps and messing around.

When you say that you've completed all the exploration in the game does that include all the outdoor mini dungeons like Vexa's Lab?