Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    Assuming this isn't just baiting, I always have to wonder. Why do people seem to want to use the N word so badly? There's quite a bit of resentment it seems over not being able to freely use what is largely deemed to be a pretty offensive word with a vile history.
    Counter point... why do certain individuals use it on such a regular basis it becomes a part of their vernacular, and a common greeting when interacting with other individuals, then claim it as a term of endearment, while screaming racism when individuals of any other skin color use it to demean or insult them.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Counter point... why do certain individuals use it on such a regular basis it becomes a part of their vernacular, and a common greeting when interacting with other individuals, then claim it as a term of endearment, while screaming racism when individuals of any other skin color use it to demean or insult them.
    Context matters in the case of that, it's easy to try to break things down to hypocrisy without context. The term has a pretty bad history when it comes to people using it to marginalize blacks in America, that will never go away. Taking something that is a symbol of oppression and turning it into something positive is just a part of how the culture evolved, but it carries with it the same baggage as it used to when used by people not part of the accepted group.

There really is no benefit to using the word, which is why I have to question why so many people seem itching to use it.

Context matters in the case of that, it's easy to try to break things down to hypocrisy without context. The term has a pretty bad history when it comes to people using it to marginalize blacks in America, that will never go away. Taking something that is a symbol of oppression and turning it into something positive is just a part of how the culture evolved, but it carries with it the same baggage as it used to when used by people not part of the accepted group.

There really is no benefit to using the word, which is why I have to question why so many people seem itching to use it.
    People want what they "cant" have. In so many words.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Assuming this isn't just baiting, I always have to wonder. Why do people seem to want to use the N word so badly? There's quite a bit of resentment it seems over not being able to freely use what is largely deemed to be a pretty offensive word with a vile history.
    Because people do not like to be censored? I think the word nigger should not be censored, we normally do not censor the word fag or some other slurs. If you are talking about it as a word then it should not be censored. Calling it the "N word" is the same thing, it is just political correctness gone wrong. Make people understand the full hate how people use it.

It reminds me of "He who shall not be named" in Harry Potter, don't hate the word, hate the people who use in that way. Words are just words, it is the meaning and how people use them that makes it wrong. Make people know that.

As for the main topic the op is asking, I think is is kind of like how racism was breed into us, white guilt was also breed into us.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    With such a high cultural and racial diversity
    u wot

The US has the greatest cultural and racial diversity of any country on the planet. Major cities like London have a lot of diversity, but the rest of the EU is pretty homogenous compared to the US.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Ironic because by this forums logic Chris Rock is probably the most anti-white man in history.

People give words power... I'm Hispanic, if I've been called a spic... and laughed... but I'm very fair skinned so most people think I'm white and I have been called cracker...and I laughed.

Words only hold the power you give them, and you can only let someone hurt you verbally.

People need to get over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    for example, in Russian language you call a black person "негр", short of "негроид" (negroid race), and this word sounds similar to "nigger". You can't call him "черный" (black), because this "alias" is already behind Azerbaijan and Caucasus (well, you understand the pattern) people, that's why i, as Russian, don't understand why the fuck i can't call black people "негры"
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    for example, in Russian language you call a black person "негр", short of "негроид" (negroid race), and this word sounds similar to "nigger". You can't call him "черный" (black), because this "alias" is already behind Azerbaijan and Caucasus (well, you understand the pattern) people, that's why i, as Russian, don't understand why the fuck i can't call black people "негры"
    What doesn't make sense to me is why blacks get mad if a white guy says the word, but they call each other it all the damn time. It makes no sense at all. Is it a bad word or not?
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

When it comes to American rhetoric and the definition of slang terminology, I always suggest watching the South Park episode "The F Word"... it does marvels at explaining the evolution, and re-definition, of words

10+ Year Old Account
    The US has the greatest cultural and racial diversity of any country on the planet. Major cities like London have a lot of diversity, but the rest of the EU is pretty homogenous compared to the US.
    I would argue, Russia has Buryats, Kalmyks, Tatars, Bashkirs, Slavs, Finno-Ugric, northern Caucasus peoples. If you look at far east and far west of Russia, it's like two freaking different countries with different ethnic groups and cultures. (nyah-nyah-nyah :P)
    What doesn't make sense to me is why blacks get mad if a white guy says the word, but they call each other it all the damn time. It makes no sense at all. Is it a bad word or not?
    It doesn't make any sense for me too
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

White people can use the N word all they want and black people can get the fuck over it.

And i'll continue to use it until they stop shouting it at each other all day.

(note does not apply to all black people, know your audience, honestly in the US today black people do more harm against themselves and further stereotypes that reinforce racism them damn selves)
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I would argue, Russia has Buryats, Kalmyks, Tatars, Bashkirs, Slavs, Finno-Ugric, northern Caucasus peoples. If you look at far east and far west of Russia, it's like two freaking different countries with different ethnic groups and cultures. (nyah-nyah-nyah :P)
    Fine, fine, the US is second place

Deleted
    You arent right we have racism word
    Jipsy is just like N spelled from white person atleast in mine contry

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Because people do not like to be censored? I think the word nigger should not be censored, we normally do not censor the word fag or some other slurs. If you are talking about it as a word then it should not be censored. Calling it the "N word" is the same thing, it is just political correctness gone wrong. Make people understand the full hate how people use it.
    We do censor words like "fag" now as a culture, it's also becoming a thing with "retarded." The fact is that society shuns these words because we're slowly coming to grips with the idea that marginalizing any group is a bad thing. These words have negative connotations to them that don't change because people want to complain that they can't freely use an offensive word. Words have meaning and you can't take that away just because you want to use it.

I should note that everybody here is free to use whatever words they want, you're even free to complain about the body at large being repulsed by it and punishing you. That doesn't mean that it will or should change however.

Remember when it was the Dutch that were the bad guys?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Deleted
    True, but dumb reason, :- it's only racist if honky speaks the word.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Ironic because by this forums logic Chris Rock is probably the most anti-white man in history.
    Eh. Comedians in general get a pass when it comes to racist terminology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Fine, fine, the US is second place
    Maybe in Oklahoma, but in NYC, I went to school with people from all over the world. I think Brooklyn alone has little Odessa that's filled with every race he mentioned, but also neighborhoods representing just about every Latin American and many country specific Asian communities. Russia's racial differences are geographical, while US is based on immigration. It's not even close... US is founded by immigrants and is not geographically dependent on it's racial differences. It's even the core of what OP is saying...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Maybe in Oklahoma, but in NYC, I went to school with people from all over the world. I think Brooklyn alone has little Odessa that's filled with every race he mentioned, but also neighborhoods representing just about every Latin American and many country specific Asian communities. Russia's racial differences are geographical, while US is based on immigration. It's not even close... US is founded by immigrants and is not geographically dependent on it's racial differences. It's even the core of what OP is saying...
    I've only ever lived in the south, so it's possible that we don't get many Eastern Europeans in this area of the country.