Deleted

Constructive Suggestions from a long time player

I posted this over on battle.net forums yesterday and haven't had any responses (didn't even get flamed!). I'm trying to promote constructive conversation regarding these ideas. Take a gander!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10831934059

Foreword:
    I love this game. Can't get enough. Blizzard don't get enough credit. I work in IT, so I know what it's like to get yelled at when things don't work and never get thanked when they do. I spend my spare time writing small games and creating maps (Creator of GM_Ghosthunt) From my position I simply can't stop inventing ideas and designing improvements for my favorite games.

I have always wanted to see the following features. They may seem like little things but I'm positive they could improve the overall user experience. Think of these as quality of living enhancements. This is in no way or form a moan.

1 - Preview Mounts when linked in chat.
    We have recently been given the ability to preview pets in a window when they are linked in chat, but we still can't do this with mounts. I'd like to be able to ctrl-click these links and view these mysterious steeds people are linking in Trade. If somebody is trying to sell me a Depleted-Kyparium Rocket, I'd like to see what it looks like first.

2 - Fishing Rod Slot.
    The fact that we can now fish without a rod is really handy and great for beginner fishers and new players. Something that would make this even more awesome would be to have a slot for fishing rods in our spellbook. We could drag a rod of our choice into this slot and fish happily without having to un-equip weapons.

3 - Skeleton Keys for Lockboxes.
    I'm always picking these up and nowdays I just vendor them because I can't be bothered to find a rogue to open them. Usually the contents are not worth the time of finding somebody. Sounds lazy but we're busy leveling and even at level cap we've got stuff to do. I propose we give engineers the ability to craft sell-able skeleton keys for lockboxes. E.g. A Mithril Skeleton Key would open a Mithril Lockbox. The keys could be sold in stacks and would give engineers something else to make profit with.

4 - Night Enhancments.
    Have the game automatically adjust ambient light levels during evening hours and give us a slider to control how dark it gets. If I understand correctly, the lighting at night got lighter once real-time shadowing was introduced. Areas were too dark even in the day, so the ambient light had to be increased. From an aesthetic point of view, this is something that World of Warcraft really needs to be given back.

5 - Ability to accept certain quests when linked in chat.
    Sharing quests through groups is a blessing but this would make things even better. It would obviously have to be limited to certain quests and levels but would make life so much easier. What If I don't intend to group with a person? I could already be in a raid group. I then have to explain the exact location of the quest giver. It would be easier to click these links in chat and be presented with the quest window (provided the character is eligible.) "Did you get the heroic scenario quest?" "What quest?" "*Link*" "Where do I get it?" "Well you go to the Vale...etc"

6 - Consider making gathering professions secondary professions.
    A radical change but it could work. Currently there are no limitations as to what your primary and secondary professions are. You could be a master jewelcrafter and alchemist if you had the gold. Moving gathering professions down a level to secondary status will give all players a chance to experience two different crafting professions. Another blessing would be that this gives more players access to ore and herbs, pushing more into markets, ultimately lowering the price and hindering gold sellers (long term consequences.) Take it a step further and give bonuses for duel professions. Extra gem slots for gear created by people with blacksmithing and jewelcrafting. Potion effectiveness for Tailoring/Alchemy etc. Tons of possibilities.

7 - Change Archeology.
    Archeology is frustrating, mind-numbing and pretty boring sometimes (Just my opinion - Sorry!) Turn it into a mini game. Go out into the field and collect a puzzle. Later that night whilst waiting for the raid group to form sat in the Vale, I'd open up my bags and right click on the puzzle box. It would open a window and you'd have a bejeweled-Esq mini-game to run through. Winning would give you fragments. I hate to use bejeweled as an example as that method so overused - perhaps a sliding puzzle? Click on a block to move it into the empty space etc? It would obviously be themed to fit the race.

8 - Finally - TOYCRAFTING!
    Greys man! So many greys in this game. Sell them all the time for small profit. Give us a profession that will allow us to turn greys into toys. This could be a no-profit venture. Craft a toy, it goes into your toybox. It's silly and fun. Grey polearm and scraps of cloth. Have a placeable flag! (Why not?) How about cheapo transmog items? I found a dusty old tome. Toycraft it into a moggable glowing tome with some generic glimmering dust! Found a grey broken lantern? Toycraft it into a moggable offhand! Every bodies a winner baby! Where do we get Toycrafting recipes from? Darkmoon Faire! Finally all those tickets can be put to use.

We as a community don't thank Blizzard enough for their hard work and passion to keep Azeroth breathing and interesting. From me to Blizzard personally - thank you.
    Last edited by mmocfd8d985519; 2014-06-05 at 10:22 AM.

Deleted
    1. Love this idea
    2. Could be nice, but I think this would mostly be unused
    3. Blacksmiths used to make skeleton keys but for some reason blizzard removed them - http://www.wowhead.com/item=82960
    4. Blizzard said they don't want nigh o be dark again since it is much "heavier" getting ganked
    5. Awesome idea
    6. Well basically hey did his with wod, you can send your workers in garrison to gather stuff
    7. I hate archeology aswell it is mind numbingly boring, bu hey ... archeology in real life is even more boring so <.<
    8. Lovely idea, could be added to blacksmith/jewelcrafter or engineer if they don't want another profession

I agree with all that stuff, except that Blacksmiths can already make varying levels of skeleton keys. I make them on my warrior all the time. Those keys are also typically very cheap on the auction house, and I don't believe you have to be a blacksmith to actually use them. So I guess you can cross off #3 in that list.

Toycrafting is not something that really excites me much, but I wouldn't call it a bad idea either.

Also yes, mount preview would be awesome. Someone links a mount in chat, you can ctrl+click on it just like you would a piece of gear and see what your character looks like on the mount.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    2 - Fishing Rod Slot.
    The fact that we can now fish without a rod is really handy and great for beginner fishers and new players. Something that would make this even more awesome would be to have a slot for fishing rods in our spellbook. We could drag a rod of our choice into this slot and fish happily without having to un-equip weapons.
    Fishing without a pole is annoying. I know you can use other means in real life, but I liked the fact we needed a pole in the beginning. You upgraded it into something better over time, meaning you get rid of the old ones. Also, beginning fishers already had it easy-go to the Fishing trainer, learn the profession, go to the vendor and purchase a pole and some lures if necessary. Nothing hard about that.

7 - Change Archeology.
    Archeology is frustrating, mind-numbing and pretty boring sometimes (Just my opinion - Sorry!) Turn it into a mini game. Go out into the field and collect a puzzle. Later that night whilst waiting for the raid group to form sat in the Vale, I'd open up my bags and right click on the puzzle box. It would open a window and you'd have a bejeweled-Esq mini-game to run through. Winning would give you fragments. I hate to use bejeweled as an example as that method so overused - perhaps a sliding puzzle? Click on a block to move it into the empty space etc? It would obviously be themed to fit the race.
    Archaeology is fine as it is. Sure it takes a long time, but it is a secondary profession and isn't mandatory. It takes time to complete the artifacts and you're rewarded with lore, cool items and even mounts!
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    There is an in game feature for making suggestions.
    Nobody reads them of course.

All of these are sensible ideas. I approve.

Only one I'm iffy about is gathering professions being secondary. But with combat bonuses being removed, its not terrible.

The rest seem very constructive.

All of these suggestions are very sensible.

And I got Professor early in Cata... <.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helwinter View Post
    All of these suggestions are very sensible.

And I got Professor early in Cata... <.<
    As did my brother man he got so pissed when they nerfed archeology to be so much easier