Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I said ethanol is fuel is a good idea.

I agree that corn ethanol is a really dumb idea. Make them plant sugar beets or something.
    Which actually could work, as Brazil gets their Ethanol from beets (pretty sure it is Brazil). I was specifically speaking about the united states in my post and in the US the vast portion, almost all, our ethanol is corn based, except for a very small amount of cellulosic, which is experimental at present.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulosic_ethanol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Nuclear Power stations emit enormous amounts of water vapour
    So do coal plants. Waste heat doesn't just disappear on its own and each have similar levels of thermal->electrical efficiency.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    -Emissions from mobility (Land, Sea, Air traffic) are least likely to be reduced in short term. Something could be done if people were finally willing to stop driving those huge cars they don't need.
    -Emissions from energy can and will be reduced in the US by modernizing plants and/or replacing them with more sustainable ways. Concerning nuclear, I'd be happy if thorium were given a try.

What many people are forgetting is the huge carbon footprint our (and yes, the US more than any other country) meat production has. 15-18% come from there, it's time to think about that. And I don't mean to promote vegetarianism here, just a more conscious way of eating meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    -Emissions from mobility (Land, Sea, Air traffic) are least likely to be reduced in short term. Something could be done if people were finally willing to stop driving those huge cars they don't need.
    -Emissions from energy can and will be reduced in the US by modernizing plants and/or replacing them with more sustainable ways. Concerning nuclear, I'd be happy if thorium were given a try.

What many people are forgetting is the huge carbon footprint our (and yes, the US more than any other country) meat production has. 15-18% come from there, it's time to think about that. And I don't mean to promote vegetarianism here, just a more conscious way of eating meat.

Technological advancement and an appeal to greed. Hard pressed to find people willing to give up modern luxuries or pay out the nose for the theoretical benefit of future generations. Make green tech cheaper, more efficient, and with greater functionality and people will switch as a matter of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Thanks to Obamas bright idea the Power stations percent will go down a bit.... as a South Carolinian I don't like our "fair share" of total cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Without redistribution of wealth (which is the essence of your proposal) people inevitably have to take a hit to their disposable income to do so.
    The point I'm making is that just because you'd have to take a hit to your disposable income in your city as it exists right now doesn't mean such a thing is inevitable. There are examples all over the world of cities where lower middle class people live in high density urban areas, not suburbs.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I want them to close our SHERCO plant near St. Cloud (pun possible), it is the second-most-polluting in the nation.
    My state has already cut power emissions by 23% over the past decade and now they want another 51%....
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    My state has already cut power emissions by 23% over the past decade and now they want another 51%....
    We're offering massive incentives (read: rate hikes) to get companies to swap from coal to gas.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're offering massive incentives (read: rate hikes) to get companies to swap from coal to gas.
    how much coal in your state? I think my state is about 20% coal 60% nuclear some small stuff for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    how much coal in your state? I think my state is about 20% coal 60% nuclear some small stuff for the rest.
    Upwards of 40. It's a shit ton. That SHERCO plant uses 3 full trains of coal in a single day.

There is definitely no easy solution.

The best I can come up with right now is incentivising green tech. usage, and/or penalizing dirty tech. usage - the money side of it. Telling people the dangers doesn't work, we're good at future planning but it seems we're not good enough.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The best I can come up with right now is incentivising green tech. usage, and/or penalizing dirty tech. usage
    People don't like being penalized. Already have a PR problem where people don't want to pay more for green products. Getting punished would just breed more hostility toward the green trend.