10+ Year Old Account

Worth or not Worth the wait

I frequently browse several gaming forums, and I often see a comment of whether a game is or is not worth the wait.

What I am curious about is, why is there a value placed on the delivery time of a game? Your life goes on whether a game is released early, on time or late.

For example. On the Watch_Dogs forum, I keep seeing people saying they don't feel the game was worth the wait. But what was spent during the time they waited? What value was lost in the duration of waiting for the release of the game?

I'm not sure if I am explaining this clearly, but I just don't understand the comment of something being worth the wait. What did you lose? Are you sitting in stasis waiting on a game release?
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there are two explanations I can think of.

1) Some people (me included) like to immerse themselves in games they play fully, that is if they start a game, they play it and only it until either they complete it (if it is single player) or get bored with it / achieve what they wanted in it (if it is multiplayer). So, they won't start anything they won't be able to "complete" before the game they are waiting for comes out: they want to play it first, and they don't want other games to mess up with their plans. So, if the game is worth waiting, they will wait and delay another game they wanted to play. If it is not, then they better start playing whatever they wanted to.

2) Many people like to "master" one single game from a genre. For example, if they are into MMOs, they will pick one MMO (typically WoW, of course) and play only it, not touching other MMOs. So, suppose they have achieved a lot in WoW and got bored with it and quit for a while. They want to decide whether to come back to WoW when the new expansion comes out or to switch to another MMO. They've heard that Wildstar is a good game, so they ask themselves: should I delay my decision until this game comes out? Is it worth waiting? Or should I just pick, say, Guild Wars 2 and focus on it, ignoring Wildstar or delaying trying it for a long time?

As for me personally, and I agree with you here (if I understood your point right), the life goes on and no one will die if he/she misses some game or plays it later. I do not normally "wait" for games (except for Mass Effect 3 - I just wanted to know how it all would end so badly) and usually purchase them, at least, 1-2 years after release. Currently I am playing through Baldur's Gate 1&2, then Planescape: Torment, then Icewind Dale 1+2 - I realize that I probably won't get even through half of my plan when Dragon Age 3 comes out, but no problem, I will finish my grand walkthrough without any hurry and then pick up patched and modded Dragon Age 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is how it works:

Developers create a massive hype through marketing when they announce new games or sequels, when that hype isn't only unjustified but carried on for way too long because of development issues people are massively disappointed.