Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I then deduced a couple of things.
    I deduced you would freeze in space because space is cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    Or you need a massive gravitational field, for example stable orbit around a black hole. Time dilation is rising exponentially in relation to speed, therefore orbiting a black hole is more plausible, even if it bears its own set of problems (formation of the accretion disk and so on).
    Couldn't you use a massive gravitational field to bend your world line backwards and cause your "forward" in time to actually be going back in time compared to everyone else. Though I think I also remember reading that there were some side effects upon leaving that field and that it might undo anything you changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If time travel's possible, then at some point, some jackass is going to get a time machine. Because there's billions of years ahead of us, and many more billions of jackasses. And he's gonna take it for a joyride, or use it to deliberately screw up history, or some such thing. We don't even need some evil future regime, just one single jackass in all of mankind's potential future. One future neo-Nazi who thinks Hitler should have some phase cannons. One future chucklehead who wonders what would happen if Rome never collapsed. Etc.

Either it's not possible, or there's something WAY bigger than us that's preventing us mucking with things (and it's impossible to get around), or all of history would be rife with time travelers screwing with things.
    One would think that if a time machine were ever developed it would be strictly controlled. It's not like you could just pop down to your local time machine, slot in a coin and go for leisurely stroll through ancient Babylon.... I don't believe that "some jackass" could ever go "joyriding" with it; the technology is without doubt going to be incredibly complicated and require entire legions of scientists and enormous amounts of energy just to operate. Nobody could use it without dozens of people collaborating.

That's even assuming that it wouldn't be immediately dismantled and the technology hidden/destroyed to protect history, and forbidden under pain of immediate death. Time travel has the potential to be extremely dangerous, I imagine that anyone developing it would have the sense to not allow it to be fucked around with.

Anyway, who's to say that time travellers haven't already been here, mucking up history or otherwise? I mean nobody here would ever know the difference. Our entire history could be one giant mess of historical fuckups and we'd never even know.

There could be plenty of secret time travellers around, and even if they did tell people they're from the future, it's not like anyone would believe them.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-06-12 at 01:37 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raukor View Post
    Couldn't you use a massive gravitational field to bend your world line backwards and cause your "forward" in time to actually be going back in time compared to everyone else. Though I think I also remember reading that there were some side effects upon leaving that field and that it might undo anything you changed.
    Massive gravitational field only expands event horizon from singularity point, which means you could enter a black hole without being crushed instantaneously. You wouldn't be able to leave it and if you could see inside, you'd see the back of your head while looking forward.

Can you elaborate on this? Right now it seems to me you're mixing two things, space-time curvature as a result of black holes and some sort of alcubierre field. Generating an alcubierre field means you'd "catch" particles in your trajectory and after leaving the field the particles would be released. Ship with such technology could easily obliterate our solar system, which depends on the distance on which it could maintain the field. Even though you'd sail the space in superluminal speeds, the ship or vessel inside the field would only move subluminally, therefore no real time dilation and thus no real time travel would occur.
    Last edited by mmoc1c1d6a1668; 2014-06-12 at 10:33 AM.

Deleted
    What if the past already was changed?

Deleted
    Well if traveling backwards in time is possible then the only way it would work is by creating an alternate timeline or universe. Otherwise literally everything will result in a paradox and would violate the basic laws of physics.

You cant just create matter or energy from nothing and time travel would do exactly that. Just think about it. Say you send 1 pound of hydrogen back 1 hour, then in the past start a nuclear reaction and turn it into helium and store the energy. You could basically just double everything with no cost or in other words could just create infinite matter and energy like that. Even if takes a lot of energy to send things back in time, it wouldnt matter at the point of time when the object arrives.. it would just pop into existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    You cant just create matter or energy from nothing
    So what about our universe?
    it would just pop into existence.
    And? It's something that happens all the time. Hawking radiation is a fine example of virtual particles popping into existence, but since the law of conservation of energy still applies, this weakens the black hole itself. Taking matter from one universe to another would not violate this principle.

Deleted
    So what about our universe?

What about it? If you're suggesting it just popped into existence, I don't believe that... maybe it never had a beginning. We don't know.

And? It's something that happens all the time. Hawking radiation is a fine example of virtual particles popping into existence, but since the law of conservation of energy still applies, this weakens the black hole itself.
    No it doesn't, these particles cancel each other out so no new matter or energy is created. If you just send something back in time, you essentially double it.. you have the past version of it in whatever form it is at that time and then the future version. Well I suppose it might be possible if you could send back thought alone, for example transfer someones future state on mind in hes or her past self but that seems even more unlikely, not to mention unethical.

Taking matter from one universe to another would not violate this principle.
    Which is what I was trying to say. You can't travel into the past but maybe it might be possible to travel into an alternate version of the past by creating an alternate universe or timeline. Then you could murder your granddaddy just fine without creating a paradox as he wouldnt really be your grandfather, just a copy of him if you will.

Deleted
    What about it? If you're suggesting it just popped into existence, I don't believe that...
    maybe it might be possible to travel into an alternate version of the past by creating an alternate universe or timeline
    Well.

What is a thought, a consciousness to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    I deduced you would freeze in space because space is cold.
    You apparently didn't read what I wrote.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

Some like to say there must be an existing destination time machine for it to work, and that's why we haven't seen them. As in, the point at which there is a working device would be the earliest one could go. A bit like having the first telephone - you have no one to call.

Anyway, you'd have to travel at infinite/negative velocity or through a gravity so intense that it curves spacetime back on itself or some other awful thing that wouldn't be terribly comfortable, to put it lightly.

Of course, time travel to the future is definitely a thing. Just not that feasible right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Deleted
    Some people keep talking about the theory where you can only travel to the point when first time machine was invented. Can someone please explain how a physical object would be any kind of "block" in going back to earlier times? If time travel is possible, it would have been possible from the beginning of the universe. I can't understand how someone inventing a machine and building it would affect that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    I can't understand how someone inventing a machine and building it would affect that.
    A wormhole with differentiated rotational points could be used as a time machine. Since speed affects time dilation, you can, theoretically, spin one end of a wormhole to move faster than the other. The time would move slower at the faster-rotating point and moving through it to the slower-rotating point would take you back in time.

You could move back in time and use another wormhole to move even further, but each wormhole would represent an obstacle similar to "you can only travel as far as the machine was first turned on." Barring the feedback from virtual particles, that is.

Deleted
    A wormhole with differentiated rotational points could be used as a time machine. Since speed affects time dilation, you can, theoretically, spin one end of a wormhole to move faster than the other. The time would move slower at the faster-rotating point and moving through it to the slower-rotating point would take you back in time.

You could move back in time and use another wormhole to move even further, but each wormhole would represent an obstacle similar to "you can only travel as far as the machine was first turned on." Barring the feedback from virtual particles, that is.
    Thank you. Now i understand. I guess it would also mean that the wormhole would have to be open all the time so you couldn't turn off the device if you would like to choose your destination time from the future.

Time travel will never, ever happen; no point debating it.