15+ Year Old Account

New computer not booting

I've bought a new computer, largely to run as a more performance oriented server that can also be converted to a normal gaming rig should it be required later on. Though after everything has been put together and connected I turn the power on.. yet no video.

The hardware:
    • PSU: Corsair VS450 (450W)
    • Mobo: ASUS H81M-C
    • CPU: i5-4690
    • RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX FS-1600C9D-16gxm (16GB)
    • HDD: ADATA Premier Pro SP600 128GB SSD

Things I've done:
    • The fans spin, so the PSU is the unlikely cause.
    • I've exchanged the ram with different ones, tried both slots.
    • Cleared the CMOS more times than I care to count
    • I've used a graphics card, instead of the on-board.
    • Ran without any vital components ( no RAM, HDD, case cables with the exception of the power switch )
    • Removed all components running just the motherboard ( no CPU, RAM ) and it didn't even power on at all

All of the above leads me to think that the motherboard might not support the CPU due to the BIOS not being up to date, though I do not know what BIOS is on the board right now to confirm that.

However.. if my assumption is correct then I have no way to update the BIOS because I cannot even get into the BIOS.
    halp?

Well, according to pcpartpicker:
    Some Intel H81 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs.
    edit: only way I can see it working is if you get a CPU that will work with it(example) and use that to update the bios and then just return the CPU.

edit2: What Mana says could be the problem as well. Faulty Mobos do happen.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-06-06 at 12:09 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Sounds to me like you got a shitty MB. Even if there was a problem with the BIOS, it should still come on.