Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post

Between the Z97 MSI and Gigabyte one the difference is mostly of all quality as a product. Same as you would expect from going to 110bucks to 160bucks. One supports Xfire only the other supports both Sli+Xfire. Better overclocking stability.
    If thats the case then I'll probably go with the gigabyte...doesn't seem to cost too much more and stability is likely worth the cost because I do plan to overclock my cpu.

In regards of cases is there anything you are really supposed to be looking for or is it purely cosmetic?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    Dunno which one of the builds you ended up with so can't tell if you are refering to a specific case or another you have seen somewhere else. Anyway, besides case quality and personal preferance to looks you pay for brand name, how well the case is contructed for airflow, fan controllers, fan(s) with leds and whatnot, provision for cable management (very important as affects airflow), noise dampening materials etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeriedk View Post
    Nice build Faith. I would really like to get the SSD in there within the budget. Whats the difference between the motherboards besides price?
    SLI. That's it really..

Since you're going with a 4670k, I don't really see the point of z97 anyways since you'd be most likely skipping broadwell and Skylake (after broadwell) is going to be on a different chipset.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno which one of the builds you ended up with so can't tell if you are refering to a specific case or another you have seen somewhere else. Anyway, besides case quality and personal preferance to looks you pay for brand name, how well the case is contructed for airflow, fan controllers, fan(s) with leds and whatnot, provision for cable management (very important as affects airflow), noise dampening materials etc.
    I was looking to go with Faiths build, but going with the mobo from notarget's build...the giga. Seems to be the getting the best bang for my buck. In regards of cases I was just wondering if I had wanted to get one with a side window and LEDs, I didn't know if there was a certain amount of expansion bays, drive bays, etc that I really should be looking for.

What about swapping the evo 212 for a nh-u12s? Better cooling performance by not by much (like you need anything better than a evo 212 for haswell clocking), noticeably quieter and theyre much easier to install, their mounting kit is just the best out there
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fernotao View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1SZM2zhBE how the new direct x is going to work
    And where does that say that AMD gets a 20% increase where intel doesn't? All that shows is better processing times. Intel will still be just as much better than AMD.

Deleted
    I was looking to go with Faiths build, but going with the mobo from notarget's build...the giga. Seems to be the getting the best bang for my buck. In regards of cases I was just wondering if I had wanted to get one with a side window and LEDs, I didn't know if there was a certain amount of expansion bays, drive bays, etc that I really should be looking for.
    Regarding the case alone, besides the build, you can't really compare Tielknights and Faith's to Notarget's. Its on a different lvl/budget, we are talking double the money. Obviously the corsair one is better overall including visually imo. Personal lighting you can add later yourself, even switch out the fan with leds to what you like. On that build tho i wouldn't reckon it tho (extra lights in case). Simply cause there is no color theme, there is blue-black-yellow-red. Keep it simple, for what your budget is for

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    And where does that say that AMD gets a 20% increase where intel doesn't? All that shows is better processing times. Intel will still be just as much better than AMD.
    Near the end he says 2x% improvement. Doesnt tell us on the gpu side or cpu side. AMD cpu's are pretty much pointless for gaming and they'd never perform 20% better than i5's, 5% at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    What about swapping the evo 212 for a nh-u12s? Better cooling performance by not by much (like you need anything better than a evo 212 for haswell clocking), noticeably quieter and theyre much easier to install, their mounting kit is just the best out there
    Just to be sure you are talking about the CPU cooler right? What would the price different be? Have a link for the nh-u12?

Thanks!

Deleted
    Noctua NH-U12S . Good cooler,better than CM Evo, but honestly expensive relatively speaking to your budget imo. That would fit a 1200$+ build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noctua NH-U12S . Good cooler,better than CM Evo, but honestly expensive relatively speaking to your budget imo. That would fit a 1200$+ build.
    I guess the real question would be is this something I need or will the Evo suffice for the computer I'm building? I can shell out an extra $30 if I have to, but not if I don't need to

Thanks again to everyone helping!

Quote Originally Posted by Polite View Post
    Have any hard evidence for this, or is this a wild general statement? Because I know firsthand that the processor I linked is more than enough to run WoW at max without bottle necking any other component. There is no reason to spend $100 extra for processing power that you will NEVER use. Or you can. OP's choice.
    Just kind of randomly jumping in here, but it's been well known for like 8 years now that Intel handles WoW much better then AMD.

I guess the real question would be is this something I need or will the Evo suffice for the computer I'm building? I can shell out an extra $30 if I have to, but not if I don't need to

Thanks again to everyone helping!
    The evo 212 will be sufficient for any kind of overclock you could manage to get out of a 4670k and the only reasons to get a nh-u12s over this one is just for its better mounting kit that makes the installation a breeze and a quieter fan or perhaps better cooling performance (not huge) but this only would make a difference on S2011 currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    The evo 212 will be sufficient for any kind of overclock you could manage to get out of a 4670k and the only reasons to get a nh-u12s over this one is just for its better mounting kit that makes the installation a breeze and a quieter fan or perhaps better cooling performance (not huge) but this only would make a difference on S2011 currently.
    I am a first time builder. Would the easier installation and quieter fan be worth it? Wish I had some experience so I didn't have to ask so many questions!

Thanks

In addition can anyone explain USB 3.0 to me. When looking at some cases I notice that some have only USB 2.0 some have both and others have only USB 3.0. Does your motherboard need to have special connections for USB 3.0 or is it just something all mobos have? I'm still looking mostly at the gigabyte mobo from notarget's build.
    Last edited by Aeriedk; 2014-06-07 at 02:18 AM.

I am a first time builder. Would the easier installation and quieter fan be worth it? Wish I had some experience so I didn't have to ask so many questions!

Thanks
    Yes, noctua fans are inaudible from a few inches away (depends on the speed) but they'd spin most likely between 300-800rpm since that cpu doesnt kick that much heat out.

http://youtu.be/TAZvub8TQtQ?t=11m (watch at 11:00)

You don't need to do anything different than he did, don't use so much paste like he did just a small pea size in the middle is enough. Since you're aiming to go for a quiet build, I'd take a WD10EZRX (green) over a WD10EZEX (blue) is noticeably quieter and the performance is very similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very interesting. Inaudible from a few inches away would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Just kind of randomly jumping in here, but it's been well known for like 8 years now that Intel handles WoW much better then AMD.
    Yes. Intel processors handle WoW considerably better. That's not what I said, however. OP is trying to play WoW and is shooting for a budget. Current gen Intel processors are a complete overkill for a machine that only plays WoW. Current gen AMD processor are more than enough to handle WoW now when pared with a decent GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    Can you please stop spreading this misinformation. Go dig up some actual reputable tests where AMD comes even close to Intel's performance in gaming without costing more or requiring water cooling.
    I never stated AMD was better than Intel. Please try and read my comments before getting hype. I said AMD was more than enough WITH A STOCK COOLING SOLUTION to handle OPs needs. Dig up a test where a current gen AMD processor is unable to handle WoW at max settings.

Want to future proof? Sure, go with Intel. Want to FRAPs/stream and play a 1080p video on your second monitor while raiding 20M at ultra setting? Yea, go with Intel.. Do you want to play WoW and maybe some other games and that's about it? That current gen Intel processor will be completely underutilized and you just threw a good chunk of money away for no visible performance increase.
    Last edited by Polite; 2014-06-07 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polite View Post
    Yes. Intel processors handle WoW considerably better. That's not what I said, however. OP is trying to play WoW and is shooting for a budget. Current gen Intel processors are a complete overkill for a machine that only plays WoW. Current gen AMD processor are more than enough to handle WoW now when pared with a decent GPU.
    So your saying he should purposely get a worse CPU because he won't need it? You can never have enough CPU power when coming to a MMO. WoW is more CPU abusive then GPU. Especially coming to 25M raiding your gonna need all the CPU you can get. Also WoW only utilities 1-2 Cores and AMD tends to have more cores which will lead to even worse performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by kappaorkeepo View Post
    800$ desktop... for wow... a 10 year old game.

wow, what a joke
    Someone wants to buy a rig that max's out a games graphics, not to mention WoW has been updated about 10 times what the graphics were on release. I know this was a troll bait, but I had to respond..