15+ Year Old Account

It's time for a new Character/Sever selection screen.

It's about time we see one major, and much needed UI change. The Character Selection Screen.

It's one of the items we constantly interact with, and while still being on the back of it all, it is still something extremely important, especially to those of us with multiple characters, especially characters spread across multiple servers.

Starting from the bottom, there needs to be a major overhaul of how characters are accessed and seen.

You should be able to sort your characters in a variety of ways.

Examples of this would be

• Server
    • Faction
    • Level
    • Most played
    • Personal sorts
    • Etc.

Want to have your main on Sargeras displayed first, but your alt on Stormrage second for quick access and switching? You can do that!

This way you can see the characters you want to see with the most ease and access each character with little to no problem. If there is one major design flaw I've seen in the game it's quite simply poor character management.

Now, this should go beyond simple character access. You should be able to see a lot more from the character selection screen, and even the Battle.net app.

Accessable info on all your characters from the screen should contain the following, and more!

• Character mail icon(s); Displaying quick glance mail info, particularly time until expiration. With many alts keeping track of your mail can be hell, and switching between them can be annoying, this can help let you know when mail is about to expire and when you have new mail!
    • Warnings; Is your guild about to go into default mode? Did you set yourself an alert (new option to have reminders to go off), did your guild members message you, that kind of thing would also be displayed here.
    • Calendar info (countdown timers) - Finally, if you have an event, it would show the calendar info, and the time until the even if it was that day. This would be useful for raid times on specific characters, or if you promised to help somebody and joined a calendar event, so you don't just up and forget. Holidays too, if you want to complete something on an alt!
    • Other useful info to display.

Now this should all translate better into game, there should be an on-server quick switch option for your alts on the same WoW account. You should be able to switch between a main and an alt easily, without having to back out to the window, and then back in. Simple quality of life improvements, but definitely improving one's ability to seamlessly engage in the game.

With added calendar, warning, and alert functionality built into the game, which would reflect on the character screen and on the Battle.net app, you'd be making a lot more out of existing resources.

In essence, the WoW Character Selection screen and UI is redundant and convoluted, and it makes simple tasks just a pain to execute, and really could use some major improvements going into the future. They've made some great strides with the Character Creation screen, now it's time to bring that home, especially as the game goes on, your character counts go up, and one's spread across servers continues.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

A great idea! Would love to see these changes implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    In essence, the WoW Character Selection screen and UI is redundant and convoluted, and it makes simple tasks just a pain to execute, and really could use some major improvements going into the future. They've made some great strides with the Character Creation screen, now it's time to bring that home, especially as the game goes on, your character counts go up, and one's spread across servers continues.
    But you do realize that they current Character Selection screen and UI is very sparse and minimalist? It's not redundant or convoluted at all - all there is a side bar for your server characters, a join game button, new toon button, an options and addons button, and a back button. That's it! It's very simplistic to me.

I agree completely with ya, OP. It sucks to see how much more convenient the Diablo III and Starcraft II screens are when about to join a game or with character management. The accessibility those games offer compared to WoW is superior, and I wouldn't mind seeing a tune-up with WoW's own character screen.

Also, I would like to see more of those racial backgrounds updated like with the Trolls at the start of Cataclysm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    A great idea! Would love to see these changes implemented.

But you do realize that they current Character Selection screen and UI is very sparse and minimalist? It's not redundant or convoluted at all - all there is a side bar for your server characters, a join game button, new toon button, an options and addons button, and a back button. That's it! It's very simplistic to me.

While the layout is minimalistic, it is not in practice.

In order to log into an alt to get, or even check mail on an alt on a different server you must do the following.

Log out of Character 1 - > Go to select server - > Select Server - > Select Character - > Log in - > Get mail/Check mail - > Log out -> Search Server -> Select Server -> Select Character -> Log in.

This can be reduced to half the actions, and maintain itself in a single menu/screen, and in even less than half the actions.

That's where I find it both redundant and convoluted, not so much in the single server layout.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature