Request help with upgrade (if possible) or build

My 7-year old desktop is in need of an upgrade or replacement, and I was hoping someone here could help me figure out if I can upgrade it or, if not (or if it's not worth it), recommend a build. The current desktop gives me tolerable performance for WoW PVE (I don't PvP), but since I've decided to give Wildstar a try, I'll at least need more memory than I currently have.

What I have:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 4MB Cache 1333MHz FSB
    800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 4GB - 4 x 1024MB
    NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
    768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 8MB Cache
    Killer K1 Gaming Network Interface Card
    700 Watt Power Supply

How do I tell if I can install additional memory in the computer I have? Do I have to open it up to check? Is it even worth it to upgrade the system? Or should I just re-invest in a new one?

If I do need a new one, here's what I'm looking at:
    Budget: Probably $800-$900. (I could be convinced to go higher, but I think that's probably enough for what I use it for and how often I play, based on some of the other forum threads I've read recently)
    WoW and Wildstar on high settings (Ultra not required)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: None
    Parts that can be reused: See above
    Do you need an OS?: Yeah. No real preference between the various Windows
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

I've seen a couple of the other recent threads that had some recommendations for $750-$800 price range. No need to retype those here, but I would be interested in hearing if anyone would recommend something different from those recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Deleted
    That pc you got is quiet old and any money on it would be wasted. It doesnt even have ddr3 and you probably have a 32bit o/s that can only utilize up to 4GB of ram anyway.
    Are you interested in having a unlocked cpu to overclock it? The benefit obviously is that in cpu heavy games like wow (mmo's) you will see an improved performance in fps during raiding.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a build that you can't overclock. Assuming as you said you don't game all that much.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.81 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $864.73
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 19:08 EDT-0400)

To save money to the above build you got 3 options:
    -Drop the ssd completely.
    -Downgrade from the R9 270X to R9 270 That saves you around 30-40bucks and you will loose 11% gpu performance.
    -Go for an i3 4350 proccessor instead of the i5 and save 65$.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-06-06 at 11:17 PM.

Great, thanks for the help!