Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why can't MMORPG have more way to level?

More viable ways to level than quest grinding? Why can't I just join an MMO and level at the same rate as people doing quest grinding, but me grinding dungeons with a group of friends?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    More viable ways to level than quest grinding? Why can't I just join an MMO and level at the same rate as people doing quest grinding, but me grinding dungeons with a group of friends?
    If you're talking about wow im fairly sure dungeons are quicker to level in if youre running it with friends.

Done most of my leveling through dungeons, much faster as a healer or tank, than doing quests.
    Tho, it is much more repentitive

Asking why can't an MMO have more ways to get experience besides questing, is like asking why a platformer can't have more ways to get through a level than jumping.

It's just the core mechanics of the genre, and while people have tried stuff, it usually isn't as consistent as questing, or still feels just as grindy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    Asking why can't an MMO have more ways to get experience besides questing, is like asking why a platformer can't have more ways to get through a level than jumping.

It's just the core mechanics of the genre, and while people have tried stuff, it usually isn't as consistent as questing, or still feels just as grindy.
    I'm not saying remove questing. Just say like I wish there was more viable and consistent way of leveling rather than grinding on quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many more ways to skin a cat...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leagent/simple

Edited to add: I'm afraid it won't be a speedy leveling process though.

I don't get understand the problem.
    You get experience from almost every thing you do in WoW, not just questing, but also dungeons, scenarios, pvp, grinding mobs, exploring, pet battles, doing professions etc.
    Maybe you are complaining about all of them not being viable ways of leveling?
    Mother pus bucket!

SWTOR has a ton of ways to level at this point. Quests, flashpoints (KDY), PvP, starfighter, space missions.

Deleted

Remove dull questing/storylines from MMORPGs before I have an aneurysm.

I know I’m ranting but I’ve gotta let it out…

When will an MMORPG get players straight in to almost end-game quality combat from day 1? With a focus on dungeons and challenging mobs and zones instead of the bland as hell and repetitive questing style present in most MMORPGS?

I've played Wow, EQ, WAR, AoC, GW2, Aion, Rift, and Neverwinter and I am now utterly contaminated with quest herpes. Sure a little questing is expected but a total grind for days or weeks on end?? Most of these games are designed with end-game in mind yet I've yet to experience any end-game on most of them because my brain has shut down in advance from the hours of mind-numbing repetitive quests and trivial combat.

I just think it would be a breath of fresh air to play an MMORPG that has a far greater focus on challenging and varied combat, and more in depth character and gear development instead of a huge focus on endless quest content to acquire levels.

Maybe I’m just a jaded MMORPG player who should piss off and play some MOBAS or RPG’s like Diablo 3 instead.
    Gonna give Wildstar a try tomorrow I hope the game has a new enough feel to distract me from the inevitable grind.

Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Long time to reach level cap = more time spent on game = more pay to play money? Is it that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Labruja View Post
    There are many more ways to skin a cat...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leagent/simple

Edited to add: I'm afraid it won't be a speedy leveling process though.
    Maybe not fast leveling, but how many others can say they probable made a few MILLION gold only from leveling one character?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I don't get understand the problem.
    You get experience from almost every thing you do in WoW, not just questing, but also dungeons, scenarios, pvp, grinding mobs, exploring, pet battles, doing professions etc.
    Maybe you are complaining about all of them not being viable ways of leveling?
    I'm quite sure you don't get xp from professions except for herb/mining.
    Scenarios may or may not give xp, but they are only at max level so it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post

That's only true if you have an extremely narrow definition of a "massive multiplayer online" game.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Can you, personally, name some?
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

It's becoming more common I believe, to have multiple ways of leveling that is (e.g. WoW as an obvious example). The problem is perhaps that often it's not a viable way of leveling and is rather more of an compliment. There's also the issue where most of the new content being made is tailored for primarily one aspect - the combat, making the already slow alternate ways repetitive.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Can you, personally, name some?
    Personally, I dungeon grinded in FF14 to 50 on both my tanks. It was about as fast as fate grinding.

Then again, FF14 is super group play friendly. I mean, the entire end game is pretty much raiding and it ranges from ultra easy mode to hard mode. Also, because you have to beat a raid to move on to the next raid, you rarely are grouped with people who are bad or trying to be carried in the extreme mode / mid to late coil turns. Everyone who is there has beaten the hard mode / early turn content.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

MMOs I played before WoW didn't even offer you leveling through questing.. It was just endless mob grinding.. Wow gives you so many ways to get XP - quests, dungeons, world grinds, gathering profesions, pet battles.. You can combine them all through your way to max level...
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

10+ Year Old Account
    they do.. its just theyre all equally dull and repetetive..
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

15+ Year Old Account
    Doing fates and dungeons is one of the only ways to level in FF XIV if you have more than one class on your character. So yea, there's more than one way to level, just that when you're doing that, you'll be asking the same thing after your 4th class you're leveling, either way, it's going to get repetitive, it's an MMO, it's not going to end until the servers shut down, so it's going to get very repetitive, no matter what you're doing.

Deleted
    You don't have to do a single quest in order to reach maximum level on WoW so I don't see what the problem here is.

In fact most MMOs follow the same formula - just PvP or do something else, you don't need to do "mind numbing quests". Also you can buy yourself to 90 straight off the bat so no leveling either.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    In fact most MMOs follow the same formula - just PvP or do something else, you don't need to do "mind numbing quests". Also you can buy yourself to 90 straight off the bat so no leveling either.
    its not the leveling, its the gameplay.

most mmo's feature the 'carrot on the stick' approach with levelcap. "the game will be great once you can play with your friends", and in the meantime, they've raked in a couple months' subscription fee from you... or coerced you into buying XP pots from their F2P shop.

once you reach levelcap, its a completely different game.

if the game at levelcap is intended to stand on its own as a game, the previous hurdles serve no purpose except to extract more money for less fun (which Blizzard has now bypassed by providing people with the option to pay the money directly to access the full features of the game)

if the gameplay stood on its own, players wouldn't be paying to bypass it.

if the gameplay doesn't stand on its own, it should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    its not the leveling, its the gameplay.

most mmo's feature the 'carrot on the stick' approach with levelcap. "the game will be great once you can play with your friends", and in the meantime, they've raked in a couple months' subscription fee from you... or coerced you into buying XP pots from their F2P shop.

once you reach levelcap, its a completely different game.

if the game at levelcap is intended to stand on its own as a game, the previous hurdles serve no purpose except to extract more money for less fun (which Blizzard has now bypassed by providing people with the option to pay the money directly to access the full features of the game)

if the gameplay stood on its own, players wouldn't be paying to bypass it.

if the gameplay doesn't stand on its own, it should be removed.
    How does leveling extract more money from you? It's just more time. Like 3 days at most time to level. Mmo players today just seem to want to rush to end game then rush through that then be left with not much else to do.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-06-08 at 01:57 AM.