10+ Year Old Account

time for me to upgrade / new build

currently running XP on a core2 duo, looking for a new build, and wondering if it would be worth getting an i7, i'd prefer to stick with nvidia for a gfx card,
    as far as what i want to do, maybe a bit of streaming, or fraps, FFXIV on high settings possibly ultra, WoW though un-subbed atm i'd like to run on high/ultra with shadows off, and Diablo3 at high/near max settings.
    well don't "need" ultra, high@60fps or so for them would be lovely, i do multitask a lot, flash-browser games in background, browsing / looking up game info while running game.

currently looking at chauds last build http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Month-DLC-441
    looking at narwhal, but as it's my first build (i've replaced components in friends machines, usually just help on the software side of things but ofc anti-static strap and all that)
    but since it's my first build i was wondering, what should be added on to the build, possible better components?

things like thermal paste, should i go for 8g ram, more? less? i do want to "sort of" future proof the machine. thinking windows8 since it has the oldschool theme now with task bar, but are there benefits for win7? i've been using XP, can get used to doing things differently since everything is a quick search away.

i do have a samsung evo already, would want another HDD though since the current is SATA2 - wdc wd3200aaks-75sba0
    also, is an I7 worth it?

mostly just...what do people tend to forget? things like the thermal paste, new SATA cables worth it?

current monitor is decent, keyboard as well, maybe a new mouse(wheel/dpibutton/1-2 side buttons would be fine - i don't need to keybind everything to mouse lol) but i'd rather a decent and durable one than the Razor pos's (no offense to razor fans but 3 things i've got from them have lasted barely 1.5 years)
    good cooling is a must though, i'll not overclock, but rather stuff runs a tad on the cool side
    looking to spend $1200-1400 altogether (USD)

ohh if i ever do stream or record with fraps it need not be professional quality, mainly wanting to build something that's a bit more than what i need at the moment, just so i won't need to upgrade again for another decade(i know right...but heh)
    Last edited by Christan; 2014-06-08 at 04:46 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    currently running XP on a core2 duo, looking for a new build, and wondering if it would be worth getting an i7, i'd prefer to stick with nvidia for a gfx card,
    as far as what i want to do, maybe a bit of streaming, or fraps, FFXIV on high settings possibly ultra, WoW though un-subbed atm i'd like to run on high/ultra with shadows off, and Diablo3 at high/near max settings.
    well don't "need" ultra, high@60fps or so for them would be lovely, i do multitask a lot, flash-browser games in background, browsing / looking up game info while running game.

currently looking at chauds last build http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Month-DLC-441
    looking at narwhal, but as it's my first build (i've replaced components in friends machines, usually just help on the software side of things but ofc anti-static strap and all that)
    but since it's my first build i was wondering, what should be added on to the build, possible better components?

things like thermal paste, should i go for 8g ram, more? less? i do want to "sort of" future proof the machine. thinking windows8 since it has the oldschool theme now with task bar, but are there benefits for win7? i've been using XP, can get used to doing things differently since everything is a quick search away.

i do have a samsung evo already, would want another HDD though since the current is SATA2 - wdc wd3200aaks-75sba0
    also, is an I7 worth it?

mostly just...what do people tend to forget? things like the thermal paste, new SATA cables worth it?

current monitor is decent, keyboard as well, maybe a new mouse(wheel/dpibutton/1-2 side buttons would be fine - i don't need to keybind everything to mouse lol) but i'd rather a decent and durable one than the Razor pos's (no offense to razor fans but 3 things i've got from them have lasted barely 1.5 years)
    good cooling is a must though, i'll not overclock, but rather stuff runs a tad on the cool side
    looking to spend $1200-1400 altogether (USD)

ohh if i ever do stream or record with fraps it need not be professional quality, mainly wanting to build something that's a bit more than what i need at the moment, just so i won't need to upgrade again for another decade(i know right...but heh)
    !. Not worth getting an i7.

2. 8gb is kinda standard now for ram. Wouldn't bother getting more though. 1600 mhz is kinda the 'future proofing' clock nowadays.

3. Use w/e OS you want. Microsoft is kinda suckage though.

4. Get a respectable thermal paste. AS5 is good. There are others.

5. standard SATA cables are all that's needed unless you're using some pretty cutting edge hardware. Would be amazed if you noticed a difference.

6. If you're not OCing why do you care about the fan? Any after-market air fan will work if it really means that much to you.

Best of luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you say you won't overclock.. But honestly, if you hit the $1000 mark, not overclocking is literally wasting money.

Also, moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    This is a stupid-good core for $1250:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.99 @ Mwave)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1245.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 04:37 EDT-0400)

Deleted
    As the others said at that price point is better to have the ability to overclock. You dont need an i7 for gaming, but an i5 is the best, as Tenagrychickens build above.
    But just to place things into perspective and compare what you would gain and loose with an i7 non overlocking build, no ssd (you said you have one) and a Nvidia gpu with shadowplay to record your games (better than fraps).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.42 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1388.32
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-08 12:44 EDT-0400)

So basically you get an i7 better if you were doing video encoding etc, but for strickly gaming it would be the same as the i5 above. But the i5 above has the ability to be overclocked and be better @ gaming.