Poll: Driverless cars?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mierzei View Post
    As long as it doesn't run on Windows OS, sure.
    Google = Android OS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greeeed View Post
    Google = Android OS
    what about linux os? would car be free but have 20 different versions to do one basic function?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    I like driving, so I want mine to have a steering wheel so I can drive automatic (real men use 3 paddles ) on the fun bits of the journey (wigly roads etc), ironicly the fun bits of a road are where most of the accidents happen...

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I like driving, so I want mine to have a steering wheel so I can drive automatic (real men use 3 paddles ) on the fun bits of the journey (wigly roads etc), ironicly the fun bits of a road are where most of the accidents happen...
    I would want mine to have a manual brake and steering failsafe, in case the software crashed on my car or somebody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I would want mine to have a manual brake and steering failsafe, in case the software crashed on my car or somebody else's.
    I would love to have it both ways so to speak, more or less the same as today but with some kind of auto pilot that monitors me and is ready to correct my mistakes or even take over the driving.

I would also like to have the option to turn the auto pilot on my self.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I would love to have it both ways so to speak, more or less the same as today but with some kind of auto pilot that monitors me and is ready to correct my mistakes or even take over the driving.

I would also like to have the option to turn the auto pilot on my self.
    So essentially make cruise-control an "auto-pilot" (e.g. for those hundreds of miles of boring motorway driving), but retain manual control for when you feel like driving (like the mountain passes in the Alps).

For example, the Stelvio Pass:

There is so much potential to make driving safe, but the most dangerous thing on the road will always be a human driver. When cars start networking with other cars things become even better for more intelligent driving, routing, preventing traffic jams etc... If the electric system shuts down on a car most cars won't run as it is today, so a software crash wouldn't be much different and could be acknowledged by other driverless cars in the area so other cars could safely avoid it while it reboots. The obvious downside to that is that they usually develop those networking features with security as an afterthought, and doing so in this case could be deadly if they got hacked. So if they were going to do that they would need real security implemented. Still it has so most potential, and they need to continue research and move it forward in a safe manner. The road is definitely some place we could benefit from having less idiots running around.

- - - Updated - - -

Also once, this takes off I bet you will see a huge difference in insurance between full auto drive, and cars with the self drive option.

I'm supposed to trust "internet voodoo" to keep this thing from driving me off a cliff? No thanks.

No, what happens if the car computer crashes or has a problem and it kills someone? Who are you going to blame then? Even if it doesnt crash .. computers don't have a brain so if something unexpected happens they dont know how to react and you are pretty much fucked. I honestly can't believe how some people can vote YES on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    No, what happens if the car computer crashes or has a problem and it kills someone? Who are you going to blame then? Even if it doesnt crash .. computers don't have a brain so if something unexpected happens they dont know how to react and you are pretty much fucked. I honestly can't believe how some people can vote YES on this.
    Even with that chance driverless cars are 100x more reliable than people. Take a look at the google cars track records. People get sleepy, they get distracted, they drive drunk, make bad decisions, they talk on their cell phones when they should be paying attention etc... etc... People kill people every day in car accidents. If driverless cars mean less people die in accidents I see that as a good thing. Not to mention they are already more reliable than people and with continued R&D it will only get better and better.

yeah, cant wait. one more way to kill unwanted people. hey, his car just malfunctioned and he drived off the road into the fucking train or something )))

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetze View Post
    No, thanks.

It removes the joy and fun of driving a car. I rather trust myself with driving a car than to leave it to a computer that can malfunction at any time.
    It will happen one way or another, just a matter of time. I hope fully functional driver less cars happen in the next 20 years.

A BIG yes! I never had an accident and i think i am an ok driver but i am a bit anxious while driving and i hate driving when i am sleepy in the morning and in the middle of the city. I only like to drive in long trip roads to the country zone and sunch. So i would like a car like the google one, with manual and driverless options so i can take over whenever i feel like it. If only this prototypes without a steering wheel make it to the market, i am planing in getting an Honda moto soon anyway.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2014-06-08 at 10:25 AM.

I would like a driverless version of the service truck I drive for work. Would give me an extra 1-2 hours a day to work on paperwork, orders, etc. Lots of things I could do while traveling between jobs.

Deleted
    no thanks I love driving

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    I can't believe how many people vote NO.

Do you not live in the real world ? The vast majority of drivers think they're better & safer then they are.

#1. Safety - most people think they're far better drivers then they are. awareness, sobriety, and rest are far bigger threats to me then a system error.
    #2. Time - the amount of time I've spent over my life driving, that I could have been.... watching TV or playing a videogame or something... is crazy.
    #3. Convenience - complete autonomy means absolutely no driver's test or licensing needed. no more shuttling the kids around. car is its own taxi service as well.

~~I would *adore* if they stripped people's ability to manually drive a car at the slightest infraction for drunk or distracted driving. With the introduction of automated driving, there is no excuse to provide impaired drivers the option to risk other people's lives.
    Last edited by Halicia; 2014-06-08 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I can't believe how many people vote NO.

Do you not live in the real world ? The vast majority of drivers think they're better & safer then they are.

#1. Safety - most people think they're far better drivers then they are. awareness, sobriety, and rest are far bigger threats to me then a system error.
    #2. Time - the amount of time I've spent over my life driving, that I could have been.... watching TV or playing a videogame or something... is crazy.
    #3. Convenience - complete autonomy means absolutely no driver's test or licensing needed. no more shuttling the kids around. car is its own taxi service as well.
    And who says those driverless cars are better than people even if you count drunk drivers and stupid people? Let's say 5% of the drivers are drunk/stupid/not awake and cause an accident.. now let's say you change every car with a driverless car.. will less than 5% of those cars cause an accident? Maybe in 30 years (or more) computers will be safe enough but right now? Nope not even close. BTW: if a drunk driver kills your kid he goes to prison so there is one less danger on the streets.. if a computer kills your kid nothing happens and your kid is dead.
    My english sucks I know, sorry im trying my best
    Last edited by Nirty999; 2014-06-08 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    I'm supposed to trust "internet voodoo" to keep this thing from driving me off a cliff? No thanks.
    That "voodoo" keeps planes from falling from the sky.

No thanks, i enjoy driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely. Take away the human error and the roads will be far more safe. Half the people I see on the roads cba to even use the turn signal most of the time.