Poll: Driverless cars?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love driverless cars if they were like K.I.T.T .. i.e., they can drive themselves and are smart enough to take over in emergency situations such as when the driver has lost control or fallen asleep or something, but they don't completely remove the option of manual control.

Sometimes driving can be very dull, stuck in traffic or hours on the open long flat boring road.. in those cases auto mode would be nice. But I do love driving and being in control of the car (or bike as I prefer it) so I wouldn't be happy to see that option completely removed.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    That "voodoo" keeps planes from falling from the sky.
    That "voodoo" accounts for ~60 billion dollars in damages from software errors per year in the US alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    That "voodoo" accounts for ~60 billion dollars in damages from software errors per year in the US alone.
    Care to actually refer to anything other than "software" errors? Because that's an impressive figure for the aviation industry to suffer.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/car-cr...-statistics-2/

32% drunk driving, 31% speeding, 16% distraction, 11% bad weather. If the computer could handle bad weather what would happen to the number of fatal car crashes?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most stupid thing ever, take the public transport really.

Anyways I don't see this happening for a long, long, long while.

Care to actually refer to anything other than "software" errors? Because that's an impressive figure for the aviation industry to suffer.
    Obviously software in general (the kind every business in the world uses), unless you're actually implying that airplane computer faults are in no way related to any other type of computer fault.

How many major airline crashes have their been since 2014 started? Like 9? I wonder how many were software related. I don't see how any of them couldn't have been, honestly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Most stupid thing ever, take the public transport really.

Anyways I don't see this happening for a long, long, long while.
    It'll happen sooner in some areas. I'd wager on 10 years before commercial, 15 years to normality, 20 to common place.

Deleted
    I like driving so i can't see what is the fun in that. Sure if you could put "autopilot" on during longer trips but otherwise no.

I already hate the modern cars filled with all kinds of stupid electronic shit than cannot be deactivated. I want to put that car in slide? No no the traction control automatically grabs that even if it was deactivated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that kind of defeats the point of driving a motorcycle.
    The same with Driverless Cars...get real...FFS

Deleted
    Obviously software in general (the kind every business in the world uses), unless you're actually implying that airplane computer faults are in no way related to any other type of computer fault.

How many major airline crashes have their been since 2014 started? Like 9? I wonder how many were software related. I don't see how any of them couldn't have been, honestly.
    Most plane crashes, excluding the 50% caused by human error, are due to mechanical faults, seeing as mechanics fail much more frequently.

I'm perfectly confident in claiming software if probably the least common typical cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/car-cr...-statistics-2/

32% drunk driving, 31% speeding, 16% distraction, 11% bad weather. If the computer could handle bad weather what would happen to the number of fatal car crashes?
    What are you comparing these rates to? The 1 successful youtube video test run of a miniscule sample size? Please don't tell me your brain thinks there is in any way to start arguing computer VS human car crashes this early. The only statistic you should be thinking about is personal experience. I've crashed my car zero times in the last 10 years, where as my computer has crashed in numerous areas upwards of a billion times. So tell me why you think I should stop my working system for something that has been proven time and time to be impossible to perfect.

Technology is never 100% perfect. Anyone who thinks otherwise is truly ignorant.

- - - Updated - - -

Most plane crashes, excluding the 50% caused by human error, are due to mechanical faults, seeing as mechanics fail much more frequently.

I'm perfectly confident in claiming software if probably the least common typical cause.
    Does your word have any sort of value or meaning behind it? I think you missed the obvious point of my post, declaring that computer faults are common, and dove passed that to try and talk about something you like (airplanes). Take it elsewhere, unless you have something to say about my point.

Deleted
    What are you comparing these rates to? The 1 successful youtube video test run of a miniscule sample size? Please don't tell me your brain thinks there is in any way to start arguing computer VS human car crashes this early. The only statistic you should be thinking about is personal experience. I've crashed my car zero times in the last 10 years, where as my computer has crashed in numerous areas upwards of a billion times. So tell me why you think I should stop my working system for something that has been proven time and time to be impossible to perfect.

Technology is never 100% perfect. Anyone who thinks otherwise is truly ignorant.
    Technology is certainly more effective than human input. You've driven ten years, nice anecdotal evidence.

700,000 miles logged and no crashes....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Does your word have any sort of value or meaning behind it? I think you missed the obvious point of my post, declaring that computer faults are common, and dove passed that to try and talk about something you like (airplanes). Take it elsewhere, unless you have something to say about my point.
    http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Do you see software even listed? No?

Because it's less than 1%.

Technology is certainly more effective than human input. You've driven ten years, nice anecdotal evidence.

It's the only evidence available at the time because there's nothing to compare it to, brainiac. Please wake up.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Do you see software even listed? No?

Because it's less than 1%.
    Here you are still trying to talk about planes in a thread about cars. I really think you WOULD need an automated car to get you from point A to point B.

Deleted
    It's the only evidence available at the time because there's nothing to compare it to, brainiac. Please wake up.
    Are you just that abrasive?

Compare 700,000 miles of no accidents by auto cars, to the national average of 1 accident per 165,000 miles of human drivers: http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/googl...afer-than-you/

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Here you are still trying to talk about planes in a thread about cars. I really think you WOULD need an automated car to get you from point A to point B.
    You don't understand similarities in the basic principles now?

Commercial aviation can't function without automated flight control, and is perfectly safe.

10+ Year Old Account

It will never happen to me, is that what you're saying when you're telling me to use "personal experience"? 3 people from my family were involved in car accidents caused by human error in 2013, luckily no one got seriously injured.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
    It will never happen to me, is that what you're saying when you're telling me to use "personal experience"? 3 people from my family were involved in car accidents caused by human error in 2013, luckily no one got seriously injured.
    Glad to hear everyone made it through.

Google Maps sometimes wants to send me some route that I know is a poor choice, I'd need a way to override it route on occasion.
    I dont need to sent to gates I cant get in or having to make a left at an impossible place

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Google Maps sometimes wants to send me some route that I know is a poor choice, I'd need a way to override it route on occasion.
    I dont need to sent to gates I cant get in or having to make a left at an impossible place
    You can plan routes out with Google maps or with other software prior to leaving.

Are you just that abrasive?

Compare 700,000 miles of no accidents by auto cars, to the national average of 1 accident per 165,000 miles of human drivers: http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/googl...afer-than-you/
    A fly on the elephant's back of driving history. According to your logic, a website that hasn't crashed will never crash.

You can plan routes out with Google maps or with other software prior to leaving.
    I have tried that, google maps never seems to understand about eastgate drive it seems.