HC Thok 25 kiting and camp positioning

Is there any new guide/images for an optimal kiting of thok and CAMP POSITIONING in HC 25? It should be suitable for pug/randomgrps! Overgeared chars + lack of awesome movement.

edit: what do you think? http://imgur.com/a/kOFh3#0
    Last edited by HeroicMythic; 2014-06-15 at 03:03 PM.

Make the kiting as easy as possible. In current gear levels you don't have to optimise the phases like you did 6 months ago. When we transitioned to 25man we changed the tactic to just kite the boss up and down the room, and it can't be easier than that. The first kite goes towards the entrance, 2nd goes the opposite direction, then entrance again.

Obviously if your dps is low, you would have to optimise it better, by doing some kites in a circle in the main room before starting to kite towards the entrance/back of the room

Have a shaman or druid put down healing rain/efflorescence. Put 2 markers on each end of the ground effect for stack points. Do this on each side. Next put down a gateway going down the entrance hallway and down to the back of the room where Thok comes from. IMPORTANT: Make sure you start your first kite down the hall, open after the 6th fixate ENDS. He should be in perfect position to be moved to the new markers.

You will NEED to take a gateway after the 5th fixate unless you're a WW monk. He always eats anyone that doesn't.

Yes that's how I would do it. But some ppl can't remember to kite first fixate towards entrance..
    Even if the kiting works, some players just can't find the camp to stand there...

Any images?

Stick 2 melee and a healer on the far end of the hallway (about halfway down the hallway where you come in) and 2 melee with a healer at the opposite end of the room (the wall where thok is when you clear the adds before the encounter). Because thok prefers those farthest away, he'll generally (assuming you don't have another raid member in a random place) leave everyone else alone and fixate people in one of those two groups. Those players then kite him back and forth the distance of the hall and main room, making sure to stay within 30 yards to avoid double fixate, and nobody else has to really worry about it.

Rather simplified way on how we do it.

Thok should be tanked around the red dot for this strat to work properly. We usually do it there before the first and second transitions, then move him to green before the 3rd one. He's usually close to dead at that point so we just do it FFA.

Once the kite phase starts, the entire raid stacks on the blue point @ mid, and the first kite target moves to green.
    Second target moves to yellow.
    Third target moves to red, and the raid starts moving towards purple (to not get chomped by thok, Jailer should also be dead at this point). This is where we drop our gateway towards the hallway, and the fourth target takes the gateway and runs as far inside the hall as possible. The raid has to be as close to purple/gateway as possible once the 3rd kite is over.

After that the 5th target simply runs into the back of the room and by the time a 6th target is assigned, the kite phase is over.

We call it the stoplight strat since we always mark with those colors and it's easy to remember.
    Last edited by Gihelle; 2014-06-14 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gihelle View Post

Rather simplified way on how we do it.

Thok should be tanked around the red dot for this strat to work properly. We usually do it there before the first and second transitions, then move him to green before the 3rd one. He's usually close to dead at that point so we just do it FFA.

Once the kite phase starts, the entire raid stacks on the blue point @ mid, and the first kite target moves to green.
    Second target moves to yellow.
    Third target moves to red, and the raid starts moving towards purple (to not get chomped by thok, Jailer should also be dead at this point). This is where we drop our gateway towards the hallway, and the fourth target takes the gateway and runs as far inside the hall as possible. The raid has to be as close to purple/gateway as possible once the 3rd kite is over.

After that the 5th target simply runs into the back of the room and by the time a 6th target is assigned, the kite phase is over.

We call it the stoplight strat since we always mark with those colors and it's easy to remember.

Holy shit that is... Atrocious o.o. How did you ever come up with that? So let me get this straight: Thok starts at red, while the raid is on blue. The first target lures thok to green. The second to yellow. Then back to red (at which point the entire raid has to run like motherfuckers to purple to not die) - and then the next target goes down the hallway, and the last target to the back of the room?

I mean, I can see it working. It's just... Why. Our strategy:
    http://bossblueprint.com/savedImages.../2Mwh3R0Hk.jpg

Pretty easily explained: Boss is facing the way he is on the picture. Melee dps (sword) at the tail to avoid parries, casters at the front cos they don't give a fuck.
    When first phase ends, first kite takes him towards the entrance (blue), second towards green, and so forth. With warlock portal usage on 5th and 6th chase, there's just enough space to manage (although nowadays we just open whenever we want to). Just bouncing back and forth, the raid basicly never moving apart from running out of the middle towards the green circle when the phase begins (so everyone is already moving in a downwards fashion, and the chased is ready to just keep running past us).

Phase ends, we move to the opposite side in the blue area, and chase is handled exact same as before. Notice how we stand on the outside of the boss on green because it doesn't really matter, but on the inside during the ice phase? That's because the yeti chooses a target on the wall and rams into it. We're standing inside the "cage" area, and he can't target inside that, so we will never, ever be hit by the yeti as a raid like this (Disclaimer: he never has chosen inside the cage for us, anyway. Even if he *can* do it, it'd be extremely easy to see, as the entire wall we're standing at would basicly light up, giving people plenty of warning to avoid it). We possibly would if we stood on the outside, as he'd be able to hit us in his charge-path.

But yea, that's about as simple as it gets. If we ever get the fire phase, we all stack up as a group, and just slowly rotate the boss clockwise - using whatever dmg reduc cds we have to not get pushed (don't expect the phase to last much more than 10 screeches before you have to do the final burn). It's beneficial to have the boss in the middle during this and NOT near the fire cage (as he usually is), so you can apply the same kiting tactic as before (and just go off to the green or blue circle-area), rather than try to kite him from the back-wall and then twice to the entrance.

EDIT: Not a clue as to why the arrows make the picture look like shit. It should be good enough to get the message through, tho.

I like your graphic draco but unless you dont have any disc/shadow priests you are losing out on a good bit of Divine star healing I feel. You'd want your ranged/healer group to be behind your melee group so divine star can be cast in a straight line.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    Holy shit that is... Atrocious o.o. How did you ever come up with that? So let me get this straight: Thok starts at red, while the raid is on blue. The first target lures thok to green. The second to yellow. Then back to red (at which point the entire raid has to run like motherfuckers to purple to not die) - and then the next target goes down the hallway, and the last target to the back of the room?
    You've got the general idea but in practice what happens is melee get 100% uptime on the boss during the first 3 kites since thok never completely flips around when refixating and the rest of the raid just sits in the middle tunneling the boss are he circles around the ranged camp, when it gets to the 4th kite (red to purple) then whoever gets fixated from the ranged camp in the middle just takes a portal out to the purple marker and thok avoids the ranged camp completely.

Originally it was the tactic for heavy melee 10mans on progress but I've done it on 25man and it works just as well.

slight difference on gihelles thok.
    boss is tanked at blue. once he starts fixating first person runs to green.
    next person runs to yellow.
    3rd person would run to red if red was in the opposite corner of yellow and slightly over a bit more
    4th would run to purple.
    and 5th down the hallway. taking lock port (open gate)
    6th person runs back the other way towards blue but past it if needed.

much easier imo. just make sure raid stacks near purple so thok doesnt accidently fixate the wrong person.

tbh it seemed pretty straightforward when I first learned and the only people that fucked it up where recruits that went on to fail their trial due to fuckups on a number of different bosses, but our issue on Thok was never the kite phase.

Oh well, different guilds do it diferent ways, right? It's one of those fights where you can take a lot of approaches and they all can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkek View Post
    I like your graphic draco but unless you dont have any disc/shadow priests you are losing out on a good bit of Divine star healing I feel. You'd want your ranged/healer group to be behind your melee group so divine star can be cast in a straight line.
    Why? My divine star hits without an issue casting from left to right, because it has a wide area it'll hit in, and we're standing basicly on the boss' toes. I don't actually have to physically aim the star at the boss, as with it's 4 yard hitbox, it'll hit the boss NP.

That seems fine I never cast it on a person since I usually use mouseovers for direct heals and always have a boss targeted. But I could see mouseover or targeting someone for DS and it working that way. I was just assuming that you had you were casting it at the boss and thus it not going to the melee group.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkek View Post
    That seems fine I never cast it on a person since I usually use mouseovers for direct heals and always have a boss targeted. But I could see mouseover or targeting someone for DS and it working that way. I was just assuming that you had you were casting it at the boss and thus it not going to the melee group.
    The star doesn't need a target to be cast. It just shoots out in front of you.

what do you think? http://imgur.com/a/kOFh3#0

Last edited by HeroicMythic; 2014-06-20 at 12:45 PM.

Nobody is raiding Thok 25 HC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jariyah View Post
    Stick 2 melee and a healer on the far end of the hallway (about halfway down the hallway where you come in) and 2 melee with a healer at the opposite end of the room (the wall where thok is when you clear the adds before the encounter). Because thok prefers those farthest away, he'll generally (assuming you don't have another raid member in a random place) leave everyone else alone and fixate people in one of those two groups. Those players then kite him back and forth the distance of the hall and main room, making sure to stay within 30 yards to avoid double fixate, and nobody else has to really worry about it.
    This is how we handle it in our 25. Remaining melee kill the jailer, while ranged chase thok and do as much damage as possible.
    Last edited by Jariyah; 2014-06-16 at 08:38 PM.

@Jariyah so you take 6 ppl out of the fight?

Added new image. Runway!

"This guide contains 25 images"

That's not suitable for pugs.

Also, while the back and forth hall-back kite strat seems good on paper, in fact you're losing a LOT of potential DPS from the ranged since they will be unable to follow him around for most of the kite phase (since they need to be on the right position for the last couple kites). Considering he heals at the end of every kite phase, every bit of DPS counts, even more so for a pug.
    Last edited by Gihelle; 2014-06-17 at 02:53 PM.

I have made few updates. In the first 3. kitings there should be no loss on dps. In 4th and 5th, while out of range, you can switch to the Add.