Poll: What does your gut say?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Apparently people are comparing them because both are open world games. In a way that should make them similar. Not sure I agree, but still its something.

What are the system reqs for witcher3 anyway?

Honestly, when skyrim released I didnt even know about the game. I tended to skip thinking about games that I thought couldnt run on my old computer at that time. I had years old computer back then and when my friend started telling me about skyrim, I told him to stop since I wouldnt be playing it in a long time. He told me it should run just fine and even if I doubted it, i did buy it. It ran perfectly with settings that I didn't think it could (maybe even at max settings...not sure).

Point being. I think many people are going to wait for system reqs. I'm not going to buy game, even if it was good, if my computer cant run it better than slide show.

Elder scrolls have huge fanbase. I think much larger than witcher. Add there that the game was very accessible.

Even, if witcher 3 as game is better than skyrim, it may not "beat" it. Does it matter even? Personally I will buy witcher 3, if it runs on my computer. That is all that matters to me. Why should I or anyone else care, if it is better or worse than skyrim? If you didnt like skyrim, would it mean you dont like witcher 3? I dont think so.

skyrim is more of an RPG than witcher, witcher has always been nothing but a really good action adventure game, but your path is 100% set and you can't run around and explore everything. you go where you're supposed to, you do what you have to and that's fine, that's the kind of game it is, which is nothing like skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post
    skyrim is more of an RPG than witcher, witcher has always been nothing but a really good action adventure game, but your path is 100% set and you can't run around and explore everything. you go where you're supposed to, you do what you have to and that's fine, that's the kind of game it is, which is nothing like skyrim
    You obviously never played the Witcher games then.

I'm not gonna turn this into a game vs game thread, but the Elder Scrolls series, after Daggerfall, was marketed towards the masses. It's systems were broken down and freed up so that planning your character was no longer very important anymore, which is disappointing. Most bro gamers go "OMG! Skyrim is the awesomest game ever, and the king of RPGs," and such, when they've never actually played any other RPGs. The Witcher is an example of a core RPG that was made for a dedicated audience in mind, not to be just made for pure profit and thrown at the masses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I like the whole "open world" vibe and then I don't. Sometimes not having a sense of direction or purpose turns people off. That is why Oblivion and Morrowind were so good. You never got to the "well, what do I do now?" point. You had a list of things that you just kept going and doing. Skyrim, with mods, was absolutely amazing. I never had so much fun... BUT... I ended up getting bored sometimes because there seemed to be so much to do that I didn't know what to do.

I don't know if that makes sense. No, I wasn't comparing games. I'm only comparing ideas.

Your post would be relevant if this thread was called witcher 1/2 vs skyrim, but it's not. How many actual big impact choices do you have in Skyrim btw, 2-3?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, still better mods. But it will beat the console versions of course, not PC. Should vs "unannounced Bethesda game vs Witcher 3".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    You obviously never played the Witcher games then.

I'm not gonna turn this into a game vs game thread, but the Elder Scrolls series, after Daggerfall, was marketed towards the masses. It's systems were broken down and freed up so that planning your character was no longer very important anymore, which is disappointing. Most bro gamers go "OMG! Skyrim is the awesomest game ever, and the king of RPGs," and such, when they've never actually played any other RPGs. The Witcher is an example of a core RPG that was made for a dedicated audience in mind, not to be just made for pure profit and thrown at the masses.
    Morrowind was still hardcore RPG imo and although less so, Oblivion it still did totally matter how you built your character. Or you would get your ass kicked eventually... lol like using any of the Oblivion presets is pretty much guarantee fail game.

This was the point I was trying to get across about Skyrim, it's LFR version of ES. "sell to the masses" instead of staying true to core RPG elements. Very sad..

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The Witcher is undoubtedly a higher quality series, but unlike the Elder Scrolls, it's not marketed towards casual bro gamers
    Erm, the main character is the posterchild for a hetero male power fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Erm, the main character is the posterchild for a hetero male power fantasy.
    And TES storylines have the depth of a puddle. Your point? :P

If being a hetero male power fantasy hero makes the Witcher marketed to casual bro gamers then who is the target audience for a shallow RPG that is also extremely easy?

I love both games, I have poured a lot of time to both series, each one has it's merits. But I think that objectively, the Witcher series is of higher quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    mods plus make your own character over unmoddable (i guess.. i know very little of the witcher series) and a set character..
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Apparently people are comparing them because both are open world games. In a way that should make them similar. Not sure I agree, but still its something.

What are the system reqs for witcher3 anyway?

Honestly, when skyrim released I didnt even know about the game. I tended to skip thinking about games that I thought couldnt run on my old computer at that time. I had years old computer back then and when my friend started telling me about skyrim, I told him to stop since I wouldnt be playing it in a long time. He told me it should run just fine and even if I doubted it, i did buy it. It ran perfectly with settings that I didn't think it could (maybe even at max settings...not sure).

Point being. I think many people are going to wait for system reqs. I'm not going to buy game, even if it was good, if my computer cant run it better than slide show.

Elder scrolls have huge fanbase. I think much larger than witcher. Add there that the game was very accessible.

Even, if witcher 3 as game is better than skyrim, it may not "beat" it. Does it matter even? Personally I will buy witcher 3, if it runs on my computer. That is all that matters to me. Why should I or anyone else care, if it is better or worse than skyrim? If you didnt like skyrim, would it mean you dont like witcher 3? I dont think so.
    Uh, the specs aren't out that I know of but Witcher 2 was amazing but they still gave it pretty low minimum specs. I imagine just about anyone will be able to play Witcher 3, it's just a question of how well and it's likely to be pretty demanding for higher quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Uh, the specs aren't out that I know of but Witcher 2 was amazing but they still gave it pretty low minimum specs. I imagine just about anyone will be able to play Witcher 3, it's just a question of how well and it's likely to be pretty demanding for higher quality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdagKLWBrz8

Nice bonus for the dudes with hundred pound monster computers that incinerate the room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    And TES storylines have the depth of a puddle. Your point? :P

If being a hetero male power fantasy hero makes the Witcher marketed to casual bro gamers then who is the target audience for a shallow RPG that is also extremely easy?

I love both games, I have poured a lot of time to both series, each one has it's merits. But I think that objectively, the Witcher series is of higher quality.
    So does the witcher: everyone is an asshole: the game.

Such depth mate. I may drown in those edgy grimdark deeps.

So we compare a sandbox rpg with a story driven rpg now?

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    So we compare a sandbox rpg with a story driven rpg now?
    Sadly enough yes; that's what the latest posts have degenerated into.

I'm not sure many games can really compete with a properly modded Skyrim, things like Requiem, Frostfall, RND, etc. add a lot to the experience. The story is light but that's not really the core of the game.

Not having played The Witcher games yet, it always seemed like a story driven game. Because of that I always got the sense that it was more in competition with something like Dragon Age than Skyrim.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is a very strange comparison. It's like Gears of War vs Mario Kart.

Personally, I think I'll enjoy the Witcher 3 more than I enjoyed Skyrim, but they're really not even the same type of game.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

In it's vanilla form, I'm betting W3 will come on top. But I have a hard time seeing W3 receiving the same quantity & quality of mods.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    CD Projekt is only really a distributor of Games via GOG and a localization studio.
    CD Projekt RED is essentially their only development studio under them, and since they self publish their own titles, they can be defined as an indie studio.
    They don't rely on a third party firm to publish their products.

Similarly how Blizzard was partially an indie studio before the Activision Blizzard merger.

It is you who seems to be confused.
    Blizzard was entirely self-funded as far as I'm aware. This is the most important thing when it comes to calling a developer "indie". Nobody could make Blizzard release a game before it was ready. CDP-RED is funded entirely by CDP as far as we can tell, meaning it's not an indie developer. So, theoretically, both Activision and CDP could tell their respective subsidiaries to release their game at a certain time and not a day after that. They don't have the complete freedom of development like true indie developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    For a storydriven rpg i think The Witcher 3 is going to beat Skyrim by a fairly large margin, if its a better open world game remains to be seen though.
    Story wise Witcher 3 will annihilate Skyrim since Witcher 2 already pretty much blew it out of the water a few years ago.

Now comparing the games on "immersive worlds", yea NOTHING will dethrone Skyrim until maybe ES:VI.

Graphically with mods, Skyrim probably won't be compared to for another decade or so unless the modding scene becomes really big on the Witcher 3 which I don't think is that likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15