Riecheck Recommended - Episode 1

Hey guys!

Got my first episode of the Boot Camp Series ready!!

In this video, I break down some important Warrior abilities to be aware of and utilize properly during World PvP scenarios. I hope this video provides enough information and visuals to help my brothers-in-arms achieve higher proficiency with the Warrior class.

Let me know if there's anything you guys have questions about or need help with! =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMUt...Ls1gSYDQvWJCpw

Not really sure what the aim was, to me it looked like you just read the tooltips and did AoE dmg in a bg for the majority of the video? How often do you encounter more than what, 2 ppl in world pvp to fight (apart from timeless isle)? Also, why would you want to bladestorm if you are going to do the RoF + Grip combo? doesn that like... nullify the entire thing by breaking them out of the cc?

To give some pointers on what I think would be improvements:

-If you are gonna cover talents , compare them to eachother. That would make the one looking for advice get some idea of situations where 1 may be more favourable than the other etc.

-This is my opinion tho, but I hate it when people read tooltips when they are clearly visible on the screen, people can read with their own eyes! Just say why it's important. For instance on the blood and thunder thing, it doesnt matter if you know that it's increasing TC with 50% or not, what's important is the ability to use it for spreading of your DW.

-"To improve your gameplay and overall dmg". First of all if I would take the roll of someone new to the game, I would not understand what kind of scenario / activity this guide is helping me improve at. By looking at the video I would assume that it's for battlegrounds? If it's for rated battlegrounds I would say that something as high overall dmg is not something the aim should be at (in most cases) as by your suggestion it's to simply AoE AoE and AoE. AoE won't kill people in a half decent RBG team.

TL;DR Im confused as to what this guide is prepairing me for and it honestly made it abit boring to watch as it doesn't cover enough things to help new warriors nor give any advanced insight to help experienced players.
    Nowish <Envy> Washed up, classic hero - Feral + War dps/tank PoV-> http://sv.twitch.tv/viss3

Hey nowish!

Thanks for taking the time to watch and give your opinion on my video.

First, in the very beginning it states that it's about "Breaking down different aspects of playing a Warrior in World PvP" and it also clearly states "Warrior World PvP"

If you guys haven't taken the time to enjoy a PvP realm outside of your everyday BGs, RBGs and Arenas then you should! Bleeding Hollow's World PvP is hot and getting hotter between Alliance Vanguard and Iron Wolf Clan. Sure, people call it zerg pvp but it's not just 40 people swarming into 40 people, it's so much more! The time, tactics and sheer skill takes it to another level. Check out some of our other videos to get a better understanding of what I mean! =)

Yes, I read tooltips but as I also stated in the beginning "This video is going to take a look at some Skills, Talents, and Glyphs to combo together to improve Gameplay and Overall Damage". I also mentioned several aspects of each that have hidden effects or simply linked them to other abilities to help people get a full understanding of what their actually doing or should be doing. Isn't that the point of training videos or guides?

In World PvP, I'm the Melee target caller and hold the front line doing as much damage to as many players as possible. Then, there's a ranged TC that aims at cleaning up kills. I have another video that our Ranged TC was 43-0 meaning people were doing exactly what was needed.

There are 100's of videos out there of people talking about how to play Warriors but almost zero on how to play a World PvP warrior - That's why I wanted to make something different and that's what this video is preparing you for. I do also mention it's a series, meaning there will be multiple parts to elaborate on the different aspects.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch and reply!
    Last edited by Riecheck; 2014-06-08 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riecheck View Post
    If you guys haven't taken the time to enjoy a PvP realm outside of your everyday BGs, RBGs and Arenas then you should! Bleeding Hollow's World PvP is hot and getting hotter between Alliance Vanguard and Iron Wolf Clan. Sure, people call it zerg pvp but it's not just 40 people swarming into 40 people, it's so much more! The time, tactics and sheer skill takes it to another level. Check out some of our other videos to get a better understanding of what I mean! =)

In World PvP, I'm the Melee target caller and hold the front line doing as much damage to as many players as possible. Then, there's a ranged TC that aims at cleaning up kills. I have another video that our Ranged TC was 43-0 meaning people were doing exactly what was needed.

There are 100's of videos out there of people talking about how to play Warriors but almost zero on how to play a World PvP warrior - That's why I wanted to make something different and that's what this video is preparing you for. I do also mention it's a series, meaning there will be multiple parts to elaborate on the different aspects.
    I would have led with this instead for a better introduction, because I'm with Nowish on this one. While your video wasn't bad at all, it didn't catch my attention, because it was so very basic. Your video didn't really tell me anything about Warrior PvP, it only really read tooltips for me. If the goal is to get already existing Warriors into PvP, World or otherwise; then they likely already have a basic understanding of the class, just from leveling up to 90.

I would have suggested leading off with your thoughts on world PvP as a whole (basically what you wrote above) and then moving into a basic breakdown of abilities, ending with a teaser on the next project to come.

Showing Abilities:
    I would suggest some graphics to go along with them, ie:
    Sweeping Strikes - Explanation - short clip of a Warrior using Sweeping Strikes and yellow attacks hitting two targets.
    While that doesn't sound particularly spectacular, graphics catch peoples attention the same way flashy effects, poping numbers, and the like.

I'm reminded of this old video from Classic which I particularly enjoyed. Watch the way he showcases different abilities starting at about 25s in.
    Maydie

(note: not the original upload which was taken down a few years back due to copyright infringement, but at the time it was likely the most popular Warrior PvP video of Classic, this version is lower quality and doesn't have 10million hits)

Content:
    While your video is for teaching and not showing off, you'd want a little less Children of Bodom playing/shaky camera angles, and more explanation but you get the point. Flashy things attract peoples attention and keep them watching.
    (also look at dem damage numbers! I actually wish the WoD squish was bigger than it was, I much preferred classic-bc numbers over hundreds of thousands)

Breaking down the abilities is fine and helpful, but I'd suggest spacing it out a bit more; talking about an ability, showing it in action/how to use it. Then the next ability and so forth.
    At the very least this gives viewers something to watch, even if they already know all the information you are saying. You want the videos to be explanatory enough for new players but entertaining enough for veterans as well.

UI:
    I'd recommend changing up your UI a bit, at least for the purpose of making videos. Near the end of the video when you got into the mix of mass PvP I could hardly see anything for all the (Tidyplate?) debuffs floating around. It looked like most name plates had 5 or 6 Bloodbath icons and I saw a lightning bolt icon for some reason.
    If that is how you play and it helps, by all means go for it, but in the interest of making a better instructional video I'd recommend turning off a lot of the clutter.

With all that said, I think it was a fine video and these are simply tips for making your series a bit more palatable for everyone and not marketed towards the brand new player.
    Hope it helps, looking forward to part two.

Hey Archimtiros!

I'd like to start off by saying, Thank you!

This is the exact kind of feedback I was hoping for!

I only recently started making videos and the community of Bleeding Hollow I'm involved in has been encouraging me to try and make more.

I've played WoW since Vanilla and as soon as I saw that video I knew who it was! Between Maydie's video and Laintime's those are my very favorite! =)

You nailed it on the head with the UI. I've fixed it since I took the footage due to that exact reason!

Again, I sincerely appreciate your feedback and will dig in deeper with Graphics, my thoughts on WPvP and involving a teaser of some kind. Still learning!

I lost you at "proper bladestorm movement"... I just find a bunch of guys that I probably shouldn't be able to kill... ride in on the Scarbonie pony and drop that sword low because... YOLO

Hey,

That vanilla video posted above was horrible :> felt like the guy was more interested in showing off his awesome camera work rather than informing the person watching it. Too drawn out and got lost in all the 'action shots'

Onto your video Riecheck, I liked it, although you were reading the tooltips, you also added some extra info on top of that, which was a nice touch. Maybe instead of reading word for word, try paraphrasing the important parts that people sometimes overlook. Its that extra info that more xp warriors should be interested in. Training videos/guides are always better when someone actually speaks in them.....which you did!

I also like the small video clips that you accompanied with your explanation for abilities. Made it very clear what you were doing. I just felt I wanted to see more! Aslo your UI as previously mentioned needs to be hidden or tidied up because I found myself being distracted by it :P

On the whole think you are onto something pretty cool, maybe break up the tooltip explanations with a bit more video @ the start aswell. Just remember it needs to be short. snappy and engaging. Not a long silent mess with [insert some random music] playing in the background. Also you need to target all types of players, keep that in mind.
    Last edited by MaugrimEU; 2014-06-09 at 02:05 PM.
    “I’m like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.”

Quote Originally Posted by MaugrimEU View Post
    Hey,

That vanilla video posted above was horrible :> felt like the guy was more interested in showing off his awesome camera work rather than informing the person watching it. Too drawn out and got lost in all the 'action shots'

Onto your video Riecheck, I liked it, although you were reading the tooltips, you also added some extra info on top of that, which was a nice touch. Maybe instead of reading word for word, try paraphrasing the important parts that people sometimes overlook. Its that extra info that more xp warriors should be interested in. Training videos/guides are always better when someone actually speaks in them.....which you did!

I also like the small video clips that you accompanied with your explanation for abilities. Made it very clear what you were doing. I just felt I wanted to see more! Aslo your UI as previously mentioned needs to be hidden or tidied up because I found myself being distracted by it :P

On the whole think you are onto something pretty cool, maybe break up the tooltip explanations with a bit more video @ the start aswell. Just remember it needs to be short. snappy and engaging. Not a long silent mess with [insert some random music] playing in the background. Also you need to target all types of players, keep that in mind.
    The vanilla video wasn't intended to be an informational/teaching video, read what I said about it before jumping at the video out of context. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Watch the way he showcases different abilities starting at about 25s in.
    While your video is for teaching and not showing off, you'd want a little less Children of Bodom playing/shaky camera angles, and more explanation but you get the point. Flashy things attract peoples attention and keep them watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MaugrimEU View Post
    Hey,

Hey MaugrimEU!

Wonderful feedback man! This info will really impact how I approach my future videos so I sincerely appreciate it!

My thoughts before making this video were to target Boosted 90s (tooltip explanation) and people new to World PvP. In rated you obviously want to take a different approach. I'll definitely attempt to expand my target audience using the feedback here.

Thanks again =)

this is what gets to my mind 1st when i see a maydie video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6WrUVkj20E

Maydie almost always uses his recklessness in his records, that's why he can keep smashing targets 1v2 1v3, with his half an hour cd oneshot macro and sneak attack. But when he gets attacked by a naked rogue.. lol..

That video only highlights how ridiculously imbalanced things were back then. Rogues were cheap CC machines, as long as there wasn't outside interference, they could toy with you all day long. Warriors on the other hand were absolute damage dealing death machines, but they had dick for solo survivability and no CC counters. Pair one with a healer and you could 2 v 10 all day long.

You have a point, but his video was just entertainment value, not instructional; and videos are rarely entertaining when they aren't one sided or flashy. He also abused the hell out of Mighty Rage potions, but that is besides the point.

Lets not get off track, this wasn't a Maydie/Classic PvP hopeful thread, I was simply stating that the way he introduced the abilities in the first minute or so of the video was a great way of showing the ability and looking interesting at the same time.