Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    does this remind anyone else of the part in eliot rogers manifesto where he said he quit wow because too many normal people started playing it lol
    now that you mention it, totally!
    i'm never gonna touch any dark souls titles ever and i will never regret doing so. have fun playing your niche-games but dont force that stuff on the majority.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    first bro gamers didnt play video games
    then bro gamers played sports games. we all remember this, every time a sports game came out thats all they did, then that died out alot.
    then bro gamers moved onto guitar hero and thats all they played, then that like completely died out
    then bro gamers moved onto call of duty and call of duty is kind of dying out right now but they all kind of still stick in the fps range right now with their battlefieds and there whatevers.

    i dont know whats next but i dont want no damn bro gamers in my jrpgs
    lol, dota 2, battlefield, the newest hyped mmo (wildstar currently) and dont forget watchdogs^^

  2. #22
    The Patient Sarcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Elf Tower, New Mexico
    Posts
    342
    It's self-entitled little finger pointers like you who are ruining gaming. Not that you are ruining the gaming industry, mind you. You are ruining gaming for YOURSELF. You're so bent on being mad about how other people have their good time that you can't allow yourself to have one. Don't even get me started on your childish idea of what makes a gamer. Your labels mean nothing to the rest of the world. Grow up, sir.

    I'll be the first to say that franchise games like CoD and AC have gotten way out of hand, but you don't have to play those games. I don't. You're just butthurt that your opinion isn't the popular one. It isn't the "Bro gamers" who are doing the whining to get what they want. Do you see a thread from one of "them" bitching about what a little douche you are? No.. You're the one sitting here crying because you aren't getting your way.

    You're a hipster gamer. You're mad that gaming is cool now so you don't like it anymore.

    Edit: Also it's really cute how you tried to sound so smart and righteous, yet your grammar and spelling is brutal.
    Last edited by Sarcon; 2014-06-08 at 10:54 PM.

  3. #23
    if I hear the word bro from anyone in game, they automatically goes onto my ignore list.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    This type of psychological tribalism/purity/hipsterism whatever you want to call it is prevalent in basically every social group, but it is really visible in fandom. Once a niche group reaches a critical mass of popularity, one faction inevitably starts to call themselves "hardcore" to try and separate themselves from the rest. Just imagine:
    look ill be honest i didnt read the whole thing but bro gamers have nothing to do with hipsterism or anything. bro gamers are a real thing and they are awful.

    it sounds like a stereotype but its absolutely true and anyone whos worked at a gamestore or even spent just a little bit of time around a place that sells games can spot a bro gamer a mile away

    the majority of people are fine, they just wanna play video games and have fun (his thing about bro gamers being like 80% is bullshit) but bro gamers definitely are a real thing and they make everyone sad
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  5. #25

  6. #26
    I'm not going to lie... I thoroughly enjoyed reading this haha. Aside from the terminology (which was great), there was a lot of truth to that.

    I'm just going to use First Person Shooters as an example right now. Going to try to get away with MMO talk in this comment:

    Call of Duty: I remember being semi-pro and playing in nationals for Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2. I remember going online and just dominating kids who were definitely too young to play. I remember all the screaming, name calling, my mom being a billion different things, etc. However... it was fun. There weren't a lot of bro gamers. There were just mainly gamers. People who would send me messages asking for tips, or asking where I found my aim bot (that I didn't have).

    Now? CoD is about "dropping you right into the action!" That was bullshit. I tried playing Black Ops II. It made me cry. I bought it... then deeply regretted it after giving it its fair share. You can tell how easy the games are getting just from your Killeath ratio. Modern Warfare, I went to tournaments with only a 6.? KD. In Modern Warfare 2, I was at a 9 KD.

    Black Ops 1: 22 KD. What. The game was a mess. Full of bros everywhere. Care Package-->Chopper-->Attack Dogs meant you can now kill their entire team and kill them as they spawn. Ending matches with 55+ kills (out of 75) no longer became fun. I winced. How could people just be that bad? The lobbies at the end were the worst too! "OMG you effin try hard!" "You have no life nerd!" "You must live in your moms basement!" You know, the things you generally hear literally every lobby.

    Fast forward to Black Ops 2... where they talk about dropping you into the combat. I can't begin to fathom how many times I was knifed or killed within the first second of spawning. I mean, that was one of their selling points! That you're instantly in the action! No... I'm instantly dead. Being spawn killed by someone who is 4-12 makes me cry... because even if I am 30-4, it pisses me off because 3 of those deaths are usually all from just dying once. You die once, then spawn and get killed, then spawn into a knife... now you're 30-3 because of the game trying to give people a way to get kills and not feel terrible.

    I don't even want to get started with CS:GO right now. Buddies and I were playing one of the hostage maps. The name is on the tip of my tongue, however both hostages were in the same house. So we all just camped the house.

    We won by a large margin and the CT side was literally calling us campers. Really? We're defending hostages, why would we LEAVE them and go play 'death match in the yard'. I haven't been called a camper once in CS, I thought until now that was just a CoD thing that the bros brought to the table. OMG THE BROS ARE INVADING MY CS NOW

    tl;dr Developers are making games easier and easier to appease a larger crowd...

    Sorry for running on and on with this. I guess I never knew how I truly felt until I started typing about it!

    it sounds like a stereotype but its absolutely true and anyone whos worked at a gamestore or even spent just a little bit of time around a place that sells games can spot a bro gamer a mile away
    Worked at Gamestop briefly. I can agree, bro-gamers are real and they are everywhere. I wish I could think of a better term for them but this fits for now.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2014-06-08 at 11:06 PM.

  7. #27
    i think the OP is a little butt hurt that "bro gamers" are better than he/she is at games.

  8. #28
    I can't believe I just read that. I think your right to an extent op and unfortunately it might be too late for wow to reverse those decisions. They are obviously trying in WoD, but that doesn't mean it will succeed because they already have been alienating a lot of people. There will always be games for those people because they are believed to be the majority, but I don't think that's true. I thing the majority want something skill based, challenging and rewarding. These "bro" gamers you refer to will usually be the first to quit and generally don't care much about the well being of a game.

  9. #29
    Mechagnome Nalam the Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    In the shadows
    Posts
    716
    so... you want games that take forever just the walking part? and that you die alot so that take even more time.. because.. you like for it too take long time too play the game..just because "reasons"?
    Thought i heard people hate'd questing in wildstar because it was too far between quests and quest givers

    Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

  10. #30
    Wow, personally attacking the OP for stating opinions, stay classy guys.

    Like every big industry, the gaming industry has a consumer base that it tries to please. It just so happened that the biggest gaming consumer base at the moment are the bro gamers. Releasing a game for the bro gamers equals bigger profits. It takes a holy-shit type of game to turn the tides and be more profitable than a game designed for the biggest consumer base.

    And even if a game like that were to exist, it would become popular, and by reaching critical mass of popularity, the game's community would automatically divide itself into purists/hardcores/hipsters who played the game before it was popular, and "casuals", who just play the game as they see fit. The toxicity within the divided community will therefore cause a very slow but very steady decline, leading ultimately to the death of the game.

    So, while OP has a point, the other, more fanatic gamer side is equally destructive.

    Also, what many people don't get, there's a difference between changing something for extra functionality while eliminating unnecessary complexity, and dumbing down the game.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-06-08 at 11:31 PM.

  11. #31
    Moderator Marthenil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Coldharbour
    Posts
    2,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I can't believe I just read that. I think your right to an extent op and unfortunately it might be too late for wow to reverse those decisions. They are obviously trying in WoD, but that doesn't mean it will succeed because they already have been alienating a lot of people. There will always be games for those people because they are believed to be the majority, but I don't think that's true. I thing the majority want something skill based, challenging and rewarding. These "bro" gamers you refer to will usually be the first to quit and generally don't care much about the well being of a game.
    I think the majority want something skill based challenging and rewarding, until they try it, fail miserably and cry for nerfs.

    Also, Valyrian, pretty spot on in my opinion.


  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I can't believe I just read that. I think your right to an extent op and unfortunately it might be too late for wow to reverse those decisions. They are obviously trying in WoD, but that doesn't mean it will succeed because they already have been alienating a lot of people. There will always be games for those people because they are believed to be the majority, but I don't think that's true. I thing the majority want something skill based, challenging and rewarding. These "bro" gamers you refer to will usually be the first to quit and generally don't care much about the well being of a game.
    Pretty much. It's also the only real argument I can get behind with the hardcore vs casual argument in games. The hardcore fans are often more dedicated while there are a great deal of so called casual gamers that are also the "bro gamers" that are very fickle and quick to abandon a game over the minor details. They want something fast, they want rewards immediately, and they want nonstop action.

    I miss the 90s through 2002 which were largely the golden age of the JRPG. Long games full of drama, twists and turns, well paced action, and awesome musical scores. People don't want that now aside from a niche audience. Everything is about mass producing this year's crap shooter with zero plot that wants to make sure everyone who plays the game feels totally awesome, even if it means adding in totally bullshit mechanics like the spawning system we've seen in the recent CoD games.

    It's also really frustrating when those players infiltrate and begin to ruin otherwise fun games. League of Legends for example was a spectacular game, but during S2 when they started growing themselves as an e-sport and started the mass marketing train, attracted a ton of players but many of the wrong kind. That community is now a toxic cesspool full of middle school bro gamers where you can't kill them in a game without being told to get cancer and die in /all chat. And when that game becomes stale, they mass leave to the next game, leaving the game to fall apart as that audience already forced away others. They chew up a game and then spit it out to move on to the next one.

    Unfortunately, this is largely where the money is now. They make up such a large demographic of gamers nowadays that games just seem to be catered to them. Really good games like The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and even the Mass Effect series get great reviews and are accepted greatly by the more dedicated gamers, but yet they just don't sell that well compared to the annual generic future shooter #126 that's breaking sales records.

    There's just more money in catering to these gamers, it's a safe market, and I would argue less work as well. They can pump one out every year easily with very few adjustments while a brand new IP that tries to be innovative can take multiple years and is a gamble on how well it's received.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2014-06-08 at 11:35 PM.
    FC: 3067-6604-6289. Steel Safari - Skarmory - Klefki - Ferrorseed

  13. #33
    Pit Lord Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,441
    If you are going to rant like this on a weekly basis... you may want to consider joining a blogging site or something.


    Uber Casual | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    If you are going to rant like this on a weekly basis... you may want to consider joining a blogging site or something.
    I'd agree but I'm more likely to come here and read it than bookmarking a blog.

    Loved your terminology OP, whether I agree or disagree is really a non issue though I will say that the industry hasn't quite changed as much as it has gotten massive. Those games of the "good old days" still exist and actually more prevalent than ever. They're just overshadowed by the newest fad like in any entertainment medium.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  15. #35
    Pandaren Monk Issalice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Area 52 US
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    does this remind anyone else of the part in eliot rogers manifesto where he said he quit wow because too many normal people started playing it lol

    Yep lol.

    I read the entire rant and came away from it feeling OP is incredibly arrogant, INCREDIBLY. I can't stand when people pout and act like a petulant child because their views are right and we are all just wrong wrong wrong. Damn you bros!

  16. #36
    I don't understand why someone shouldn't be allowed to play games just because you dislike their personality. Maybe try a little tolerance and laughter instead of intolerance and anger.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Yep lol.

    I read the entire rant and came away from it feeling OP is incredibly arrogant, INCREDIBLY. I can't stand when people pout and act like a petulant child because their views are right and we are all just wrong wrong wrong. Damn you bros!
    But it comes off like an IRONIC arrogance. Like Darth Clark from Game Informer on his April Fools thing. It's satire the same way as Colbert Report or Daily Show.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  18. #38
    They don't have the time to play four hours a day. They only get one or two games that they really want a year, and they spend their hour of game time a day playing the best/their most favorite game they have. These guys don't really want to spend 15 minutes or so going onto [Insert Game Here]Wiki to find out how they can be better. They just get home, undress, toss a potpie in the microwave, turn on their console, put in their best game, and just jam for the little time they have. They want to maximize their fun in the little time and skills they have.
    Not sure why this is bad or negative. It likely describes the majority of mainstream game players for the entire history of commercial video game production.

    The royal "We" you speak of would need to out populate and out spend your mysterious "bro gamers".

  19. #39
    Herald of the Titans Sibut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,579
    Your wall of text was poorly written, poorly thought out, and painful to read. Maybe you should go outside for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Come to Detroit for the beer and crumbling architecture.

    Stay in Detroit because someone stole your passport.

  20. #40
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Bro gamers make up 80% of all gamers.
    I stopped reading here. If you think that's the case, then I really can't regard anything you say with seriousness.

    The majority of gamers are are not this segment. They might be a good portion, or a particularly profitable one, but not nearly the majority in population.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •