Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Mounting up inside older instances - should it be permitted?

    What ho,

    Let's assume you are level 100, and running level 1-90 content for whatever reasons.

    80% of that time is arguably spent on running by foot to get from boss A to boss B. This is perhaps especially noticeable in the oldest examples, like the Molten Core, where you have to run across half the instance simply to get to Ragnaros at the end.

    Do you think Blizzard should unlock the ability to use your ground mounts inside those instances, or would that take away what little challenge remains in running older content?
    "Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it. The sun was shining, and the grass was very green. But Gandalf looked at him from under long bushy eyebrows that stuck out farther than the brim of his shady hat.

    Author of: Mount 2.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)
    Author of: World Enhancement Patch 1.0 (MMO-Champion Thread)

  2. #2
    No, of course not.

    Going by this (stupid) logic, why not also increase mount speed by 1000% inside old instances, or better yet just allow players to teleport directly to bosses. Or why not have the bosses just teleport to players?

    Instances still should be treated with a little integrity, whether they're old or not, and not setup just to allow effortless and efficient cherrypicking.

  3. #3
    That would take away what little challenge remains in running older content.

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    472
    Maybe ruining the challenge, but it depends on what it is.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Raugnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Frogspoison#1419 Battletag
    Posts
    4,149
    I would say, yes. No reason for mounts to NOT be allowed indoors, really.
    Anyone ever notice how the sun seems to shine silverish now? Didn't it used to shine goldish? PM me if you've noticed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

  6. #6
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,893
    Two words.

    Gold Farmers.

    Allowing mounting, or increasing mount speed, would entice gold farmers to hit all those even more than they do now. Gold drops and items would have to be nerfed, and stuff redone to account for it. Nope.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  7. #7
    What challenge? The challenge of having 10 minutes free, including travel time?

  8. #8
    Scarab Lord slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA PA
    Posts
    4,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    That would take away what little challenge remains in running older content.
    How ironic we would get a post like this on the same day a thread is opened called "Inconvenience is not challenge."

  9. #9
    I see no downside to allowing mounts inside instances, since trash doesn't leash.

  10. #10
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    17,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    I would say, yes. No reason for mounts to NOT be allowed indoors, really.
    There is a reason, and it's reflected in the game....
    Logic..... Or do you drive around inside your house with your car? Do you ride your horse around in your house?
    Nope.
    Same with the game.... Mounts are allowed in outdoor instances, and not allowed indoors.

    With that said... No we do not need mounts in older content, never needed them for 10 yrs, and we can live another 10 years without them.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Two words.

    Gold Farmers.

    Allowing mounting, or increasing mount speed, would entice gold farmers to hit all those even more than they do now. Gold drops and items would have to be nerfed, and stuff redone to account for it. Nope.
    Gold drops have already been normalized. Plus, I farm for gold in my downtime. Stuff be expensive, mayne.

    Maybe have special mounts that only work in dungeons. Or a ZF type thing where aggro'd mobs dismount you.

  12. #12
    Poor babies, fancy having to spend a few moments not mounted. Maybe Blizz should just line up the bosses at the entrance so you can one shot them. Or even merge them into 1 level 10 mob you can slap with your hand and loot.

  13. #13
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,606
    Why? Im getting tired of everything being considered a convenience, just run, I mean come on.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There is a reason, and it's reflected in the game....
    Logic..... Or do you drive around inside your house with your car? Do you ride your horse around in your house?
    Nope.
    Same with the game.... Mounts are allowed in outdoor instances, and not allowed indoors.

    With that said... No we do not need mounts in older content, never needed them for 10 yrs, and we can live another 10 years without them.

    Perhaps some people have their mummies carry them from room to room?

  15. #15
    I'm not a fan of the idea, but I've always liked the shortcut options they had in the Cataclysm dungeons. I could see some of the old dungeons benefiting from them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There is a reason, and it's reflected in the game....
    Logic..... Or do you drive around inside your house with your car? Do you ride your horse around in your house?
    Nope.
    Same with the game.... Mounts are allowed in outdoor instances, and not allowed indoors.

    With that said... No we do not need mounts in older content, never needed them for 10 yrs, and we can live another 10 years without them.
    I'll let you know when my house at all resembles any of the dungeons in WoW. Maybe then I'll start riding a house around inside of it.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2014-06-10 at 04:23 PM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What ho,

    Let's assume you are level 100, and running level 1-90 content for whatever reasons.

    80% of that time is arguably spent on running by foot to get from boss A to boss B. This is perhaps especially noticeable in the oldest examples, like the Molten Core, where you have to run across half the instance simply to get to Ragnaros at the end.

    Do you think Blizzard should unlock the ability to use your ground mounts inside those instances, or would that take away what little challenge remains in running older content?
    No. That will just promote speed-runs for noobies and other immersion-breaking nonsense. Just because you played longer doesn't mean you earned the right to blaze through content.

  17. #17
    You already can mount up in a number of dungeons. I don't think they need to update any others so you can run them in 5 seconds instead of 15.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I'm not a fan of the idea, but I've always liked the shortcut options they had in the Cataclysm dungeons. I could see some of the old dungeons benefiting from them.

    I'll let you know when my house at all resembles any of the dungeons in WoW. Maybe then I'll start riding a house around inside of it.
    Riding a house inside another house would be awesome. Maybe someone could even be riding the big house inside an even bigger house. It's houses all the way down.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Etoo View Post
    What challenge? The challenge of having 10 minutes free, including travel time?
    Why do people call mindless timesinks challenging? Never understood that.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Two words.

    Gold Farmers.

    Allowing mounting, or increasing mount speed, would entice gold farmers to hit all those even more than they do now. Gold drops and items would have to be nerfed, and stuff redone to account for it. Nope.
    There is already a limit on how many dungeons you can run per hour.. same with raid instances.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There is a reason, and it's reflected in the game....
    Logic..... Or do you drive around inside your house with your car? Do you ride your horse around in your house?
    Nope.
    Same with the game.... Mounts are allowed in outdoor instances, and not allowed indoors.

    With that said... No we do not need mounts in older content, never needed them for 10 yrs, and we can live another 10 years without them.
    Not all mounts are as big as cars. Houses aren't as big as most dungeons or raid instances. We don't need them but it would speed running older dungeons up and they're already a joke. I really don't see the harm.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-06-10 at 06:22 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •