1. #1
    Pit Lord shoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,317

    Just Another 4th Spec Suggestion Thread

    Every new expansion comes with a new flagship feature, be it a new pair of races or a new class to play. In Warlords of Draenor, we receive neither, though the model update is godsend, people are going to be expecting something big for the next expansion. This is why, instead of a new race or a new class, I am suggesting the implementation of a 4th specialization for all existing classes, excluding Druids. These specializations are based around already existing playstyles, and all are well within the bounds of the lore.

    To begin, I’d like to introduce a new specialization role that 3 of these 4th specs fill. This role is, for the time being, is known as the Heals per Damage, or HPD. HPD players already exist within World of Warcraft, those players who choose the Atonement Disc or Fistweaving playstyles over traditional specialization roles. In ideal situations, an HPD player would have half the healing and half the dps output of an equally geared player. Unfortunately, these playstyles, as popular as they are, are not fully fleshed out and hardly viable in normal raid situations, which is why they are the fourth specs for their respective classes.

    Pre Q&A

    Q: 10 more specs would be an absolute nightmare to develop! A regular class is only 3 specs!
    A: While 10 specs seems daunting, the development of 1 spec onto an already existing class requires nowhere near the resources required to develop an entirely new one on top of an entirely new class from scratch. Not to mention, with a new class comes the development of class archetypes, baseline abilities, armor themes, that would not be required with 4th specialization.

    Q: But there are already too many classes! Any more would cause the game to feel homogenized!
    A: Which is why I’ve taken some pretty extreme measures to make sure that every spec feels unique in comparison to the already existing specializations. An additional spec would breathe new life into every existing class, and open the door to new PvP and Raid compositions.

    Q: Blizzard can’t balance 3 specs, no way they can handle 4!
    A: I have high hopes for Holinka, I think he can manage.

    Q: I would rather have a new class instead! Nobody will even play the fourth specs!
    A: Many of the new specs are based on playstyles that many people have played over the ages, unfortunately many of them fell off due to being unviable in end-game content. Examples are Atonement Disc DPS, Fistweavers, Shockadins, Shaman Tanks, Warlock Tanks, Prot DPS, etc. Not to mention, the character select screen can’t hold any more new classes, as a result, players are going to have to make the new class on a connected realm, and that sucks.

    Q: Why would half a healer and half a dps ever be useful?
    A: HPD would allow for a more dynamic raid and pvp compositions, and would be well suited for raids that lack damage and don’t want to sacrifice healing, and vice versa. Two HPD players would hypothetically bring just as much to the table as one full DPS and one full healer, so balance in not a terrible issue. The same can be said for PvP.

    Q: I want Ogres and Arrakoa instead!
    A: I agree. Ogres and Arrakoa kick ass.

    Without further ado, here are the new specializations.



    A Gladiator has devoted himself to the mastery of close combat. This single-minded devotion to weaponry and fighting styles makes him much feared by his enemies who cross him, and close allies to those who manage to befriend him. A gladiator prides himself on having equal proficiency over every weapon imaginable, including shields to bash even the mightiest of their foes. Gladiators strive to become peerless experts in the arms of their choice, and with their weapon in hand and their dauntless shield equipped, the Gladiator carves a swatch through all foes.

    Gladiator: Sword and Board DPS, based on the Gladiator Stance introduced in Warlords of Draenor. Damage is based on a modified Protection rotation, for example with Shield Block being replaced by Shield Charge.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




    Primals are those hunters who revel in their bestial rage and give into it completely. As they slowly take on an increasingly beast-like appearance, they also gain powerful and violent abilities. They hold to the notion that each and every living soul is haunted by a beastly force, and that those who accept this fact can eventually ascend to another level of existence - one that is more primitive, but also more connected to nature and the animal kingdom. Though very few can fathom the existence of this whimsical force, primeval characters strive to unlock its secrets. They call this pristine essence "the beast within". Primals believe that once someone has accepted the beast within himself, he must learn not to suppress it — as most civilized folks were brought up to do. Indeed, the character must welcome it into his heart and soul in order to call upon it in times of need. Thus, primals can tap this essence and channel the instincts, strength, and fury only the beast within can provide.

    Primal: Dual Wield Melee DPS, based on Rexxar and the Warcraft RPG Beastmasters, are fighters who battle in close quarters alongside their animal companions. As ranged weapons are not equipped, Primal Hunters gain a set of powerful melee abilities, as well as beneficial pet abilities.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    The Dark ranger is a cunning hero, adept at manipulating opponents. Dark rangers are silent and invisible stalkers of the shadows, felling unsuspecting opponents with a single arrow. Dark rangers favor the bow over blades as the ultimate weapon, using the same arts that Quel'Thalas taught for millennia. Their abilities work with manipulating the essences of life and death, as well as various horrible poisons and dark energies. Like Rogues the Dark ranger fades into dark conditions, wrapping themselves in the shadows. The skilled Dark ranger can notice the tiny movements of her enemies along with other visual and auditory cues that allow them to react more quickly in combat.

    Dark Ranger: Ranged DPS, based on the Warcraft RPG Rangers, as well as Dark Rangers are stealthy fighters who wait in the shadow for the perfect moment to fire an arrow into their enemies heart. Still capable of stealth, but incapable of using their melee attacks, Rangers gain a set of ranged abilities but still retain their core themes, such as poisoning their arrows and firing incapacitating shots.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Demon Hunters are dark, shadowy warriors who are shunned by the greater Night Elf society. They made a pact, long ago, to fight against the forces of chaos using its own terrible powers against it. These mysterious warriors ritually blind themselves so that they develop 'spectral sight' that enables them to see demons and undead with greater clarity. They wield demonically charged warblades in battle and even call upon demonic energies to augment their formidable combat skills. Although they are counted as some of the mightiest warriors within the Night Elves' society, the Demon Hunters are always maligned and misunderstood for making their selfless pact with darkness.

    Demon Hunter: Tank, based on the Glyph of Demon Hunting, which grants Warlocks with the ability Dark Apotheosis, which allows Warlocks to tank. The usual Dark Apotheosis abilities and rotations remain, but gain a set of defensive and threat increasing abilities as well as proper taunts.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    An Earthwarder practices a form of magic known as geomancy. Geomancy is a practice of divination and elemental combat native to several humanoid races of Azeroth. It is similar to shamanism in that disciples of geomancy wield the powers of the earth and a lust of knowledge towards the secrets of the earth’s spirits. The sacred duty of the geomancer is to understand the lay of the land, to study the natural terrain for clues as to the nature and disposition of the spirits within it. Yet the geomancers do more than simply examine the spirits of the lands; they also work to appease them. Through the use of rituals, songs, and sacrifices, the geomancers attempt to propitiate the spirits, lulling them into complacency with attention and honor.
    Should this process fail, the geomancers are not above manipulating the very nature of the spirits to defend themselves from their foes.


    Earthward: Tank, based on the Earth elemental which acts as a tank, utilizes earth based abilities, such as Rockbiter weapon to increase threat. Geomancers gain a set of defensive abilities and taunts in order to effectively tank.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Time is a progression of instants. This movement is ordinarily perceived by mortals as regular and determinant, functioning much like a clockwork; yet perception does not dictate reality: time is chaotic, always in flux, and completely malleable, flowing like the sands of an hourglass. The arcane art of weaving time is called chronomancy. This discipline fall under the school of Transmutation, allowing the de-acceleration of events and even reversing some events entirely, among other possibilities. Learning from the Timeweavers, menders of the timeways found within the ranks of the Timewalkers, Mages have discovered a unique method of aiding their friends in battle.

    Chrono: Damage reversal Healer, based on Chronomancy. Unlike traditional healers, Chrono mages heal their allies by reversing damage done instead of healing for static values. They can also fire projectiles carrying wards and other magical shields towards their allies to supplement their timeweaving.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Atonement priests are elite divine spellcasters. Every priest desires to attain the title of high divinist. To reach this level of magical understanding is to, in a small way, transcend mortal existence. As they gain power, divine spellcasters gradually see more and more of the fundamental nature of their magic. They cast greater spells that draw upon more intense facets of their faith. Such understanding comes to all priests eventually, but some move beyond these tokens to true revelation. These are the Atonement priests, living icons of the entities or beliefs they represent. Their foes approach them with wariness, for while they may be able to predict the actions of a normal priest, an Atonement priest possesses unknown abilities.

    Atonement: HPD, based on the current Atonement DPS playstyle. By healing through dealing damage, Atonement Priests are already a popular playstyle amongst the priest community, unfortunately their current state only exists as a filler rotation during low damage phases.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Exorcists are paladins who view the holy light as not only as a catalyst for healing, but as a powerful offensive weapon as well. Unlike their brothers in arms, Exorcists prefer to take a step back from the front lines, and burn the word of law into their foes while keeping an eye on the well being of their allies. Clad in heavy armor, these paladins make for undaunting spellcasters and peerless allies who turn the tide on any battlefield.

    Exorcist: HPD, based on the Shockadin playstle. Long beloved by Paladins, they can juggle between dealing damage and healing their allies, utilizing an iconic rotation consisting of Denouce, Judgement, Holy Shock and other new abilities to supplement their unique playstyle.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Necromancers are mortal practitioners of death magic, commonly referred to as necromancy. Channeling their knowledge of the arcane into manipulation of the forces of life and death, these men and women were instrumental in the forming of the Scourge in Lordaeron. Necromancers are spellcasters whose magics manipulate the power of death. In calling upon this power, necromancers risk being consumed by it — until eventually they join the ranks of the undead. Commanding the undead, now in the service of the Death Knights, they gradually take on the characteristics of the dead — hollow eyes, shambling gaits, pallid and sunken skin, foul odors and so forth.

    Necromancer: Summon based Ranged DPS, based on the Necromancers of the Scourge. These death knights seek to enhance their domination over lesser undead, and master the dark art of necromancy. While continuing to use existing DK abilities such as Frost Fever/Blood Plague, death coil, death and decay, and army of the dead, Necromancers choose from an array of undead minions to summon, such as Abominations, Bone Golems and Crypt Fiends.

    tl;dr skeletons. lots of skeletons. zerg rush skeletons.



    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    Monks are by all accounts graceful and skilled warriors. Their Cranedancers epitomize the pandaren art of warfare — and for the Cranedancers, battle is indeed an art. Their title does not come coincidentally. Their movements are precise and fluid; they appear to dance through a battlefield, their fists weaving gracefully, and bodies toppling as they move. While Cranedancers are deadly, they, like all pandaren, are inherently peaceful. The greatest hope of the Cranedancer is to not have to use his skills. However, in Azeroth’s current age, the Cranedancers’ skills are needed more than ever. Cranedancers move out to confront demons, undead and other horrid creatures, their hearts lightened by the thought that, through their battles, other creatures will live — perhaps, other creatures will never know battle.

    Cranedancer: HPD, based on the Fistweaver playstyle. Similar to Atonement Priests, the current state of Fistweavers is that they are only really useful during low damage phases, so Cranedancers would bring a fully fleshed out version of their playstyle to the table. In Warlords of Draenor, Monks are receiving a Crane Stance to supplement Fistweavers. I hope for the Cranedancer to be a full fledged Fistweaver spec.

    Last edited by shoc; 2014-06-09 at 09:47 AM.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

  2. #2
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    I like this thread, you have obviously put a lot of work in it.

    Gladiator Warrior: I would LOVE to see a shield-wielding melee damage dealer.
    Primal Hunter: Might be something, I'm afraid it will be too much like an enhancement Shaman. Has potential!
    Dark Ranger: A cross-over between a Shadow Priest and a Survival Hunter, I can see myself playing this. Especially if it's a combo-point based ranged class!
    Demon Hunter: Well, yeah, it's practically in the game.. They could split it into a new spec, nothing to mention here.
    Earthwarden: Same as Demon Hunter, they made the first steps already.
    Cranedancer: I would prefer to have a RDD spec for monks, I cannot believe they don't have one yet!

    Priest, Paladin and Death Knight I am not really sure on.
    A Death Knight might work as a ranged that works with Runes, that could be interesting and new.
    Priest and Paladin don't look as if they actually add something, they feel "forced" because we need a fourth spec for everyone.
    Could you explain to me how they would be as "new and exciting" as a Dark Ranger or Demon Hunter?

    I think the biggest strength of the fourth spec-ideas is to combine resources with roles we have not yet seen before.
    What threads like these should do is take one or two ideas into one thread and discuss on it; or perhaps a new thread in the class fora.

    Now I can't get the thought out of my head of a bow-wielding, knife-throwing rogue that murders his enemies with poisons, shadow damage and combo-finishers <3
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

  3. #3
    Fucking sick dude. Seriously, well done and I agree with all your suggestions.

    Though I would like to see the demon hunter as a dps spec, maybe a presence or buff that converts to tank mode.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2014-06-09 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  4. #4
    they wont add fourth specs until they add a fourth role. there would be no point otherwise.

    also nobody who wants to play demon hunters wants to play a warlock.

    warlocks and demon hunters are completely different and until warlocks become agile samurai with giant two sided swords who bounce around they arent demon hunters

    - - - Updated - - -

    also you cant just leave druids out.

    it doesnt matter that "they already has 4 specs"

    druids never gained a 4th spec. giving everyone new goodies and leaving a whole class out of what would be a major selling point is frankly pr suicide.

    its basically asking for all druid players to unsub. it would be like announcing a new race and saying its alliance exclusive and horde get nothing. or announcing a new class and saying it can only be horde.

    - - - Updated - - -

    also the character select screen couldnt hold monks either. until they added an 11th slot
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  5. #5
    Pit Lord shoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I like this thread, you have obviously put a lot of work in it.

    Gladiator Warrior: I would LOVE to see a shield-wielding melee damage dealer.
    Primal Hunter: Might be something, I'm afraid it will be too much like an enhancement Shaman. Has potential!
    Dark Ranger: A cross-over between a Shadow Priest and a Survival Hunter, I can see myself playing this. Especially if it's a combo-point based ranged class!
    Demon Hunter: Well, yeah, it's practically in the game.. They could split it into a new spec, nothing to mention here.
    Earthwarden: Same as Demon Hunter, they made the first steps already.
    Cranedancer: I would prefer to have a RDD spec for monks, I cannot believe they don't have one yet!

    Priest, Paladin and Death Knight I am not really sure on.
    A Death Knight might work as a ranged that works with Runes, that could be interesting and new.
    Priest and Paladin don't look as if they actually add something, they feel "forced" because we need a fourth spec for everyone.
    Could you explain to me how they would be as "new and exciting" as a Dark Ranger or Demon Hunter?

    I think the biggest strength of the fourth spec-ideas is to combine resources with roles we have not yet seen before.
    What threads like these should do is take one or two ideas into one thread and discuss on it; or perhaps a new thread in the class fora.

    Now I can't get the thought out of my head of a bow-wielding, knife-throwing rogue that murders his enemies with poisons, shadow damage and combo-finishers <3
    I feel like Priest and Paladin were one of the more obvious ones, Atonement and Shockadin being alternate playstyles that are already (or were) in the game. Personally, I loved the hell out of my shockadin in Vanilla, and from what I've heard about Atonement DPS currently is that it's pretty fun. It's just a matter of detaching those playstyles from Holy/Disc respectively and fleshing them out into their own specs.

    HPD (Heals per Damage) was my attempt at creating a sort of a half-healer-half-dps role, a .5 for when you are building a comp. I could list a number of situations where it may be more beneficial to bring a .5 healer. Cranewalkers, Atonement and Exorcists are all .5 healers.

    Death Knight as Necromancer because I feel the existing abilities fit the Necromancer theme well, as well as when combining aspects from the D2 Necromancer.


    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Fucking sick dude. Seriously, well done and I agree with all your suggestions.

    Though I would like to see the demon hunter as a dps spec, maybe a presence or buff that converts to tank mode.

    The Glyph of Demon Hunting already allows Warlocks to (somewhat) tank, it seems like Blizzard was pushing the Demon Hunter archetype towards a tanking role.


    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they wont add fourth specs until they add a fourth role. there would be no point otherwise.

    also nobody who wants to play demon hunters wants to play a warlock.

    warlocks and demon hunters are completely different and until warlocks become agile samurai with giant two sided swords who bounce around they arent demon hunters

    - - - Updated - - -

    also you cant just leave druids out.

    it doesnt matter that "they already has 4 specs"

    druids never gained a 4th spec. giving everyone new goodies and leaving a whole class out of what would be a major selling point is frankly pr suicide.

    its basically asking for all druid players to unsub. it would be like announcing a new race and saying its alliance exclusive and horde get nothing. or announcing a new class and saying it can only be horde.

    - - - Updated - - -

    also the character select screen couldnt hold monks either. until they added an 11th slot
    Like I said, Glyph of Demon Hunting is a Warlock Glyph that makes them a melee tank with demon wings (sound familiar?) Druids already have 4 distinct playstyles, besides, what 5th spec would they encompass? They already fulfill all roles.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

    also you cant just leave druids out.

    it doesnt matter that "they already has 4 specs"

    druids never gained a 4th spec. giving everyone new goodies and leaving a whole class out of what would be a major selling point is frankly pr suicide.
    Why doesn't it matter?

    They already have a fourth spec. Warlock and shaman tanks are already embedded into current trees - all this would do is split them, the same way Druids were split. The same goes for warriors, all it's doing is copying a spec but changing it slight - much like the distinction between feral and guardian.

    Melee hunters used to be a thing... back when WoW was slightly more realistic with minimum ranges and melee abilities for hunters. Rogues used to be able to shoot bows and I think had a ranged ability or two. Neither of these are new, they're just bringing back old flavors.

    Priest is an expansion on an ability, much like the warrior is.

    Paladin, DK, and Mage are the only real new ideas.

    My point being that most of the ideas proposed are not "new goodies". They're either a division the way the druids had, a reincarnation of an older play style, or an extension of a current ability.

  7. #7
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    they wont add fourth specs until they add a fourth role. there would be no point otherwise.

    also nobody who wants to play demon hunters wants to play a warlock.

    warlocks and demon hunters are completely different and until warlocks become agile samurai with giant two sided swords who bounce around they arent demon hunters.
    So you literally ignore everything about

    A) The Glyph was called Glyph of Demon hunting

    B) Demon hunter's not being Samurai in the slightest

    C) The Challenge mode set literally being Demon Hunter shit

    And finally

    D) Metamorphosis is a Warlock ability, has been so for a while now, and everything about Warlocks is taken from Demon Hunters in the first place.

  8. #8
    I totally disagree with 4th specs... until reading this. most of these make sense to me and are not there just to fill a new role or have a 4th spec.

    *edit for grammer
    "Warriors make you sap, Paladins let you sap."

  9. #9
    Pit Lord shoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Why doesn't it matter?

    They already have a fourth spec. Warlock and shaman tanks are already embedded into current trees - all this would do is split them, the same way Druids were split. The same goes for warriors, all it's doing is copying a spec but changing it slight - much like the distinction between feral and guardian.

    Melee hunters used to be a thing... back when WoW was slightly more realistic with minimum ranges and melee abilities for hunters. Rogues used to be able to shoot bows and I think had a ranged ability or two. Neither of these are new, they're just bringing back old flavors.

    Priest is an expansion on an ability, much like the warrior is.

    Paladin, DK, and Mage are the only real new ideas.

    My point being that most of the ideas proposed are not "new goodies". They're either a division the way the druids had, a reincarnation of an older play style, or an extension of a current ability.
    Paladin is hardly a new concept either, Shockadins were viable back in Vanilla. Warcraft 3 DK's were ranged casters and summoners much like a Necromancer. The only real 'original' concept here is the Mage one, and even there time abilities are already in play in WoW.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    So you literally ignore everything about

    A) The Glyph was called Glyph of Demon hunting

    B) Demon hunter's not being Samurai in the slightest

    C) The Challenge mode set literally being Demon Hunter shit

    And finally

    D) Metamorphosis is a Warlock ability, has been so for a while now, and everything about Warlocks is taken from Demon Hunters in the first place.


    really? if thats not a ninja samurai then what is?

    the challenge mode set also looks nothing like a demon hunter it looks somewhat like illidans horns and thats it, also meta is not in anyway a huge part of a demon hunter. its one spell. and even then they could easily just give them a different version of meta like illidan in heroes of the storm has.

    i can tape wings to my car its not gonna make it a helicopter

    - - - Updated - - -

    also you know another class that has a spell of another hero?

    mage. they have mirrors image.

    are mages blademasters because they have mirrors image?

    would anyone ever confuse a blademaster for a mage?



    this is not a damn mage

    and demon hunters are not damn warlocks, if they were demon hunters wouldnt be the most requested class for world of warcraft, if warlocks were in anyway similar enough to demon hunters people wouldnt want them, they'd be satisfied.

    nobody who wants to play demon hunter wants to play warlocks. warlock tanks wouldnt even be a good fit role wise, demon hunters are not tanky. there most similar to monks and rogues, they are agile.

    they suit dps way more than they suit tank
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire Sforza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Some place far
    Posts
    392
    Cool ideas, except for mage which is unexistant in lore. There is lore for a blood mage spec.

  12. #12
    Pit Lord shoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Sforza View Post
    Cool ideas, except for mage which is unexistant in lore. There is lore for a blood mage spec.
    Blood mages, while they sound cool, are not too far from Warlocks. Shadow/Fire/Fel mages are basically Destruction locks.

    Unless you mean Vampiric mages like the Sanlayn, in which case that could be cool too.

    @Immitis there are 2 distinctive flavors for Demon Hunter in the Warcraft universe now. There is the Metamorphosis/Dark Apotheosis based Demon Hunter (as titled by the Glyph) which attacks with Shadow Magic rather than with glaives, and tank instead of DPS. Right now, that version of the Demon Hunter is a quasi viable tank spec.

    The other is the Heroes of the Storm Illidan Demon Hunter, which fits more of a DPS role that focuses around physical weapon damage and demonic power as a secondary offensive power source.

    They are both distinctly different, and while I do prefer the traditional glaive ninja demon hunter the picture Blizzard is painting for them right now is as a short range Warlock tank. That's not my call, that's literally what is in the game right now.
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Blood mages, while they sound cool, are not too far from Warlocks. Shadow/Fire/Fel mages are basically Destruction locks.

    Unless you mean Vampiric mages like the Sanlayn, in which case that could be cool too.

    @Immitis there are 2 distinctive flavors for Demon Hunter in the Warcraft universe now. There is the Metamorphosis/Dark Apotheosis based Demon Hunter (as titled by the Glyph) which attacks with Shadow Magic rather than with glaives, and tank instead of DPS. Right now, that version of the Demon Hunter is a quasi viable tank spec.

    The other is the Heroes of the Storm Illidan Demon Hunter, which fits more of a DPS role that focuses around physical weapon damage and demonic power as a secondary offensive power source.

    They are both distinctly different, and while I do prefer the traditional glaive ninja demon hunter the picture Blizzard is painting for them right now is as a short range Warlock tank. That's not my call, that's literally what is in the game right now.
    glyph of demon hunting is not related to demon hunters, nowhere in lore or ingame is it connected to any demon hunter. the only thing connecting it to demon hunters is the words demon hunting.

    that is not a version of a demon hunter, thats a glyph for warlocks that isnt even going to be in the game next expansion
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,074
    I like most of it, but my only beef with it is I don't care for both Paladins and Priests having a Holy DPS spec. I think Priests should get shadow healing instead. Named something like Vampirism or Blood.

    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post


    Time is a progression of instants. This movement is ordinarily perceived by mortals as regular and determinant, functioning much like a clockwork; yet perception does not dictate reality: time is chaotic, always in flux, and completely malleable, flowing like the sands of an hourglass. The arcane art of weaving time is called chronomancy. This discipline fall under the school of Transmutation, allowing the de-acceleration of events and even reversing some events entirely, among other possibilities. Learning from the Timeweavers, menders of the timeways found within the ranks of the Timewalkers, Mages have discovered a unique method of aiding their friends in battle.

    Chrono: Damage reversal Healer, based on Chronomancy. Unlike traditional healers, Chrono mages heal their allies by reversing damage done instead of healing for static values. They can also fire projectiles carrying wards and other magical shields towards their allies to supplement their timeweaving.
    Time heals all wounds.
    Last edited by Agoonga; 2014-06-09 at 02:51 AM.

  15. #15
    The Patient reese's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    269
    Nice job. I like what you have here. The idea behind the Gladiator looks awesome.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ellie Goulding ♫

  16. #16
    I like your ideas, but I'd rather see a Battle Mage specialisation than a healing one (although the idea of a chrono mage doesn't sound that bad). If done well, a Battle Mage spec. could be fantastic (might share my idea regarding it soon).

  17. #17
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    12,934
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I feel like Priest and Paladin were one of the more obvious ones, Atonement and Shockadin being alternate playstyles that are already (or were) in the game. Personally, I loved the hell out of my shockadin in Vanilla, and from what I've heard about Atonement DPS currently is that it's pretty fun. It's just a matter of detaching those playstyles from Holy/Disc respectively and fleshing them out into their own specs.
    I understand, I just think it's hard too come up with something really interesting for those specs.
    Although D3 has a lot of Crusader-spells that would be lovely on ranged Paladins!
    Justice, Blessed Hammer, Blessed Shield, Fist of the Heavens and more.. There is hardly an ability that wouldn't be awesome in WoW.

    Death Knight as Necromancer because I feel the existing abilities fit the Necromancer theme well, as well as when combining aspects from the D2 Necromancer.
    I could see that being a thing, a ranged DPS that works with runic power (like Hunters' Focus) and Runes.
    Like I said, Glyph of Demon Hunting is a Warlock Glyph that makes them a melee tank with demon wings (sound familiar?) Druids already have 4 distinct playstyles, besides, what 5th spec would they encompass? They already fulfill all roles.
    People aren't falling over the idea, it's the name of the spec they disagree with and they have a good point.
    A Demon Hunter in lore is something else than a tanking Warlock; and the glyph is called Demon Hunting, not Demon Hunter.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Try to boil everything down to a negative catch phrase all you want. We're still going to spend countless hours making Warlords of Draenor the most epic expansion possible.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post



    The Dark ranger is a cunning hero, adept at manipulating opponents. Dark rangers are silent and invisible stalkers of the shadows, felling unsuspecting opponents with a single arrow. Dark rangers favor the bow over blades as the ultimate weapon, using the same arts that Quel'Thalas taught for millennia. Their abilities work with manipulating the essences of life and death, as well as various horrible poisons and dark energies. Like Rogues the Dark ranger fades into dark conditions, wrapping themselves in the shadows. The skilled Dark ranger can notice the tiny movements of her enemies along with other visual and auditory cues that allow them to react more quickly in combat.

    Dark Ranger: Ranged DPS, based on the Warcraft RPG Rangers, as well as Dark Rangers are stealthy fighters who wait in the shadow for the perfect moment to fire an arrow into their enemies heart. Still capable of stealth, but incapable of using their melee attacks, Rangers gain a set of ranged abilities but still retain their core themes, such as poisoning their arrows and firing incapacitating shots.
    Certainly not bad, but i'd rather see a nightblade as a 4th spec.
    http://rift.wikia.com/wiki/Nightblade



    The Nightblade class is available under the Rogue calling. Possessing deadly agility and mastery of the blade, the Nightblade can also draw upon the planar magics of fire and death to deal doom in a variety of ways. Favoring light armor, their ability to stalk and quickly eliminate their adversaries means the unfortunate quarry rarely has the chance to defend, let alone counterattack.

    Especially now shadowblades is getting removed, it almost makes sense.

    The nightblade would be worked around having passive shadowblades, desiring to stay within melee range to auto attack, generate combo points quicker, and debuff but still efficient at long range as it's primary combo point generators and finishers, have no minimum range and are usable up to 40 yards away. There are no melee only attacks, it would almost be like using deadly throw/shrunken toss as your main combo point generators.

    They are also very mobile, able to manipulate the powers of arcane and shadow to deal damage. It would be considered a rogue/mage hybrid, if you were to think of death knights as a warrior/warlock and paladins as a priest/warrior.

  19. #19
    Nice ideas, reminds so much of vanilla with melee hunters and tanking shamans. I also like the warlock idea: demonology should me more of summoning and controling demons and the new spec would be transformation into the demon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •