Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    WOTLk wasn't even that great..once you take off your rose tinted glasses
    It a matter of opinion I know. I just think it was the best story told thus far.

Probably not, but I plan to have fun.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    MoP surpassed WoTLK, so I don't see why not.

I don't know why everyone has such a hardon for Wrath, I mean sure, some of my best moments in WoW were in Wrath, but admittedly I was like, what, 13 when Wrath came out? Everything was awesome when I was 13.

I just realized, that when I was 13/14, I pretended to be 22 to get into a US top 100 raiding guild, as a tank. I guess my puberty voice over vent was convincing enough.

Back on point, imagine if Wrath launched to today's standard.

- 90% rehashed first tier
    - Scrapped dance studio
    - Scrapped aerial combat
    - lack of PvP balance (lol ret)
    - year long raid tiers
    - ridiculously overpowered new class that went unbalanced for months (40 v 40 DK AV anyone?)
    - el oh el walrus people? wow 4 kiddies
    - soloable heroic dungeons
    - Strand of the Ancients and Isle of Conquest, the 2 (subjectively) worst BG's to ever exist.
    - 10 mans rewarding worse gear than 25 man, want to optimize your gear? better run every raid on every difficulty every week scrub
    - LFD just didn't work, group drops every 15 minutes, terrible lag
    - 4 months of ToC raid, most guilds cleared in one night, heroic clear within a few weeks.
    - mandatory dailies all day every day
    - gearscore
    - so bored we literally flew laps around Dalalag and base jumped from the citadel.

But, alas, Wrath was the best expansion ever.
    You just lost The Game

Comments in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Back on point, imagine if Wrath launched to today's standard.

- 90% rehashed first tier -Cata had even more rehash
    - Scrapped dance studio -Path of the Titans?
    - Scrapped aerial combat -Trial of the Gladiator?
    - lack of PvP balance (lol ret) Are things perfectly balanced now?
    - year long raid tiers completely on course to repeat this for the 3rd time
    - ridiculously overpowered new class that went unbalanced for months (40 v 40 DK AV anyone?)
    - el oh el walrus people? wow 4 kiddies -Hozen. Grummies.
    - soloable heroic dungeons -doable now as well
    - Strand of the Ancients and Isle of Conquest, the 2 (subjectively) worst BG's to ever exist. -offset by Wintergrasp, which many considered fun
    - 10 mans rewarding worse gear than 25 man, want to optimize your gear? better run every raid on every difficulty every week scrub
    - LFD just didn't work, group drops every 15 minutes, terrible lag -never ever experienced this
    - 4 months of ToC raid, most guilds cleared in one night, heroic clear within a few weeks. -TOES heroic was cleared within 2 weeks of opening. MSV took less time than that
    - mandatory dailies all day every day -did you miss the start of MoP?
    - gearscore -iLvl
    - so bored we literally flew laps around Dalalag and base jumped from the citadel. -and no one is bored now?

But, alas, Wrath was the best expansion ever.
    You get my drift, I'm sure. Very little of what you point out here can be pinned to one expansion.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zervek View Post
    WOTLk wasn't even that great..once you take off your rose tinted glasses
    I keep hearing this and I always wonder how do people explain a player like myself. I started playing literally days before Cata went live. Like 3 days to be more precise, so I really didn't experience all Wrath had to offer. I did play Cata and loved the start. I was brand spanking new and it was thrilling...yet that feeling died fast. I found myself feeling let down with the expansion a lot more than I was excited for it. I don't think it was so horrid that it should be burned, but I did log in one day and just stare at my character and wonder why I am paying for the game. Then that was it until 5.4.

Now, recently I did go back in Wrath and I even did that Quel'Dalar quest. I did the ICC heroics for the first time a couple months ago. And I must say that I was in awe. Why was I a level 90 player getting the jitters over a level 80 heroic I have no idea. I just found myself actually near death a few times because I simply wanted to look at all that was being shown. If I could just walk around and explore I would have had a blast too. It felt wonderful man. And this is on top of my love of the various zones and the whole feel of Northrend. To me, it all felt truly epic and magical.

I have no rose tinted glasses. I have not even played for 10 years as some have. Yet, I still feel truly awful that I missed Wrath while it was current. I do not feel that way about Mists at all and beyond the first month of Cata I feel it was just a silly grind and a large patch.

So what is my deal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitheqt View Post
    I don't think anything down the line will surpass Wrath of the Lich King at all, no matter what they try. Wrath was literally the epitome of World of Warcraft, and it was mostly because they had the story fleshed out from Warcraft 3, so in a sense, Warcraft 3 didn't end until that expansion ended.

There's literal meaning to: "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead. And that World of Warcraft... died with him."
    Agree'd.. WoD looks great in terms of features but the story sounds like more garbage filler like pandas and Cata was.

We'll see though, nothing will surpass Wotlk until they continue the burning legion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Comments in bold:
    You get my drift, I'm sure. Very little of what you point out here can be pinned to one expansion.
    Can you stick to one expansion while pinning things down instead of spreading between Cata, MoP and WoD?

Also,
    1) Cata didn't have 90% rehash on any tier. All that was rehashed was ZG, ZA, Ragnaros (he still got new model and shizzle) and parts of DS.
    2) Regarding soloable heroics - they weren't a thing until Wrath, that was his point.
    3) Wintergrasp, while admittably fun, was horrible on servers with poor faction balance and caused insane server lags for like half of the expansion. I guess you just conveniently forgot that.
    4) TOES is like 1/3 of a tier.
    5) MoP dailies were hardly mandatory, you could completely skip them and still be fine. Yes, there were few items to pick up from valor quartermaster, but those are in no way as mandatory as head/shoulder enchants we had in WotLK.

Deleted
    Umm... what? Seeing as game quality is a matter of personal perception, I'd wager that the vast majority of people quit because of something they no longer enjoy about the game.
    Yes I 100% agree that people are (and should) leave the game because they no longer enjoy the game.

But you do know doing the same thing for 9 1/2 years is less enjoyable 9 years in than in the first month right? Everything grows stale in the end.

So it is not necessarily about the quality of the content, just the fact that is still "Raiding in WoW" or "PvP in WoW" etc etc

How many other games have you played for 9 1/2 years?

I find the fact that some people (including me) have played this game for 9 years to be quite honestly unbelievable.

"Game Text #83847 - You're ride is ready miss Clutchpop... again. Please try to not push the engine till it explodes this time. Tips, of course would be appreciated."

"You're ride"

Unsubbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

A stumble over a pothole could surpass WotLK.

When they have ATTUNEMENTS, a real accomplishment may occur.

Deleted
    Sure, why not... WotLK had a great start but overall it wasn't a good expansion. In fact, I think after Ulduar, it went completely downhill.

On the other hand, I think WoD just sounds good and is mostly hype. Im fairly sure 6.0 will be great and then they will cave to the complaints, put back flying and make everything even more convenient than it is now.

Comments in bold:

Cata had even more rehash? I didn't know they copypasted an entire raid in Cata.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymega View Post
    I keep hearing this and I always wonder how do people explain a player like myself. I started playing literally days before Cata went live. Like 3 days to be more precise, so I really didn't experience all Wrath had to offer. I did play Cata and loved the start. I was brand spanking new and it was thrilling...yet that feeling died fast. I found myself feeling let down with the expansion a lot more than I was excited for it. I don't think it was so horrid that it should be burned, but I did log in one day and just stare at my character and wonder why I am paying for the game. Then that was it until 5.4.

Now, recently I did go back in Wrath and I even did that Quel'Dalar quest. I did the ICC heroics for the first time a couple months ago. And I must say that I was in awe. Why was I a level 90 player getting the jitters over a level 80 heroic I have no idea. I just found myself actually near death a few times because I simply wanted to look at all that was being shown. If I could just walk around and explore I would have had a blast too. It felt wonderful man. And this is on top of my love of the various zones and the whole feel of Northrend. To me, it all felt truly epic and magical.

I have no rose tinted glasses. I have not even played for 10 years as some have. Yet, I still feel truly awful that I missed Wrath while it was current. I do not feel that way about Mists at all and beyond the first month of Cata I feel it was just a silly grind and a large patch.

So what is my deal?
    Things are fun when you do it the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Iconic main Warcraft character? Check.
    Who would that be?

Comments in bold:

Cata had even more rehash
    offset by Wintergrasp, which many considered fun

I hope you're joking. Cata first tier didn't have any rehashed bosses. Unless you count the reuse of the boss names...

While wrath had naxx which was 100% rehashed. That leaves maly and sarth being the only non-rehash bosses for wrath's first tier.

Wintergrasp was good till they butchered it.

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

It's the first expansion I've had no interest in buying. I'm sure you could find five million people on this big, beautiful planet who would disagree with anything I might have to say, though! Maybe they'll all be really super excited about bunkering up and fighting video game orcs from last century.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    Not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?
    Maybe a bit.
    Removed attunements, improved accessibility of mounts, easy flying, dungeon finder, much less insane itemization (no more leather warriors).

Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    Can you stick to one expansion while pinning things down instead of spreading between Cata, MoP and WoD?
    His argument was about Wrath being released as it was, by today's 'standard'. The point you've apparently missed is that many of his complaints are things that still occur, and aren't necessarily expansion specific.

4) TOES is like 1/3 of a tier.
    Feel free to look up how long it took to clear the other bosses in that tier then. Also, in before "but that was the opening raid, so it was supposed to be fast" or some other such commentary.

Deleted
    It barely even has a chance to surpass Cataclysm.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Who would that be?
    Grom Hellscream?