Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Because the colours are part of the texture, and not something you can just replace.
    While it might be possible on items which have multiple colour palettes already, all it would allow doing is switching from one to another.
    Other games may have the gear designed to support it by default, WoW does not and it would require reworking every item of gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I can see some kind of special armor sets for each class (maybe awarded from the ethereals), with the ability to swap the colors, but not with every piece of gear. I like that Blizzard takes the time to handcraft and choose the details for their projects. I feel if they offered a dying option, that those who love xmog and making sets, would be disappointed. A lot of people like crafting sets.

I can see how your comparing it to Diablo but in all honesty, color is the only thing differentiating different pvp tier gear now, if they made it customizable they would have to create more models, which I would love but I highly doubt it will happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I think they said it was a slap in the face to their art team or something; but thats what they said about legendaries in Diablo, and they relented on that.

Would be tough to implement; short of making it exclusive to new items.
    Yeah, seeing as all gear looks different now, it could easily be done on new gear. maybe unlocked through chieves

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because the colours are part of the texture, and not something you can just replace.
    While it might be possible on items which have multiple colour palettes already, all it would allow doing is switching from one to another.
    Other games may have the gear designed to support it by default, WoW does not and it would require reworking every item of gear.
    This guy is a regular computer genius... oh wait, gear recolors happen all the time. You sound about as technical as an early star trek character.

While for old gear it would seem a bit odd, they could so very easily do it for WoD onwards. and simple as the limitations on reforging, requires ilvl of 610+
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

why change only the color?

check this, my own suggestion for x-mog V.2 for the game:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-transmog-V-2

it basically based upon all the skins and gear model allready exist in the game's databade.
    all im suggesting is a dressing room like GUI which lets us design our own x-mog gear by selecting an emty
    model at 1st and then selecting its skin texture and after that adding to it a color hue and animation like warlock T6 wings or rouge's
    fangs coming out of the shoulders like in T8 i think...

everything is in the database anyways just let us do the match making to design our own x-mog gear.
    Last edited by john duo; 2014-06-13 at 03:58 AM.

Blizzard isn't going to do anymore work than they have to to keep the franchise going.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way this always happens is that they make the dyes that people actually want (Black and White) really rare so that only the lucky and/or the rich can obtain them and look the way they want. The rest of us meanwhile get stuck with green and pink dyes and ugly shit like that, making the entire feature basically exclusive to people with money. Now if they implement it in a way where every single color is available for free or cheap from a vendor or simply easy to acquire, then fuck yes.
    Another problem I see with armor dye however is that Blizzards way of distinguishing Tier difficulties is simply recoloring the armor set. Example: LFR is green colored, 10/25 normal is blue, 10/25 heroic is red.. or something like that.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Quote Originally Posted by john duo View Post
    why change only the color?

check this, my own suggestion for x-mog V.2 for the game:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-transmog-V-2

it basically based upon all the skins and gear model allready exist in the game's databade.
    all im suggesting is a dressing room like GUI which lets us design our own x-mog gear by selecting an emty
    model at 1st and then selecting its skin texture and after that adding to it a color hue and animation like warlock T6 wings or rouge's
    fangs coming out of the shoulders like in T8 i think...

everything is in the database anyways just let us do the match making to design our own x-mog gear.
    ...the short answer is: because this is much, much, much harder than it sounds. The basic idea of "pick a set of texture, color, mesh, animation" is within reason, but...

First problem, mesh and texture are more intimate than you might like, so this would put a huge (and new) design constraint on the model developers. It also isn't something that was there, so would require non-trivial work on every old bit of gear that this was enabled for.

Second problem, color hue requires an entire implementation in the engine to add it: right now it doesn't exist, so the client needs to be updated to be able to recolor those textures, etc, on their way through.

Third problem, every communication in the game about items needs to be updated to include that data. That means that extra bits need to be found in the stored form of gear -- which means database schema changes, message format changes, and more data being carried. After all, I need to get those four bits of information about your item to be able to display it correctly, etc.

Those are all *big* changes, with lots of risk, and 99 percent of the work is invisible. All users would see is the one tiny-looking feature, and all the bugs.

I would prefer a raid tier.

All jokes aside there are literally dozens of armor sets, if you don't like the color wear a different one. I dont feel like this warrants development time. However, having access to the color variants that we know they do produce, that could be an acceptable middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
    Yeah, it's one of those things that's kind of easy to do if you include it from the start, but now they have nearly 10 years worth of models that would have to be retrofitted to support it.
    nah, they reuse a TON of their gear. No, really. Look to a xmog site and realize just how few pieces are in a 10 year old game.

They said, the technical limitations are pretty crazy the first time I recall them addressing this.

I think they could do it, and it wouldn't take as much effort as they claim ... and a simple restriction would be to not allow it on tier sets; or, not allow the tier sets to be dyed to the alternate colors of those sets (you can't dye your LFR set to heroic set color).

It would solve a couple issues ... the BC clown suit syndrome; and the after effect of that; the muted colors syndrome.

Next up; invisible shoulders/shoulders toggle ... and some gear that actually looks like the material it is supposed to be made out of (all T17 looks like plate to me)

10+ Year Old Account
    I would rather have other transmog options first. Enchanting transmog, and the ability to choose where 1 hander weapons sheathe. (E.g on back or sides).