View Poll Results: Do you believe one day Europe will become the United States of Europe?

Voters
486. This poll is closed
  • Yes

110 22.63%
  • No

376 77.37%
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by KenjiEvans View Post
    Well there is no one big issue that prevents it from happening; the French and Germans need to realise that they need to learn to talk another language (English since most countries on the continent can talk that) to communicate with others, but seeing as that's unlikely to happen, It'll not happen anytime soon.
    This isn't that true anymore, and it hasn't really been in the past 5-10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetze View Post
    Giving up sovereignty to a bunch of leftists that want to control, restrict and regulate every aspect of your life? No thanks.

We are already losing our identities and culture to mass immigration from non-European countries which is encouraged by the fat cats in Brussels. They want us to give up our soul so that we can live in a fictional "united Europe" full of pro multiculturalism shills that want to see Europe destroyed.

I'm glad my country is one of the few to remain truly free in this communist Europe.
    ... Dude, you live in Switzerland, a freaking smoothie of Germany, France and Italy. Your idea of a "national identity" is a complete mish-mash of other cultural identities molded into one. Oh and you might want to drop the nazi goldbar, it seems it's been messing with your mind like it was the One Ring...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    This isn't that true anymore, and it hasn't really been in the past 5-10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

... Dude, you live in Switzerland, a freaking smoothie of Germany, France and Italy. Your idea of a "national identity" is a complete mish-mash of other cultural identities molded into one. Oh and you might want to drop the nazi goldbar, it seems it's been messing with your mind like it was the One Ring...
    Switzerland has always been a multitude of Cantons that together make the federal state. Each Canton is per se a unique region with their own culture, identity and language. I see myself first as a citizen of my Canton and only secondly as a citizen of the Swiss Confederation.

You clearly don't quite understand the complexity of my country.

Deleted
    Surprisingly many non-believers. Like mentioned earlier, the big problem isn't cultural diversity but cultural identity. Even if I want to see a united Europe, I too realize the only culturally common thing Europe has is Christianity. This is why I proposed a common European language besides the rather droll language of English. A single European monarch could also be a way to bind Europe together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Switzerland has always been a multitude of Cantons that together make the federal state. Each Canton is per se a unique region with their own culture, identity and language. I see myself first as a citizen of my Canton and only secondly as a citizen of the Swiss Confederation.

That's what the USE proponents would suggest as well. You're first a citizen of your canton, then Switzerland, then the United States of Europe. It's not a different thing.

For example, I think of myself first as a San Josinian (living in Houston), a Californian (living in Texas), and then an American.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Surprisingly many non-believers. Like mentioned earlier, the big problem isn't cultural diversity but cultural identity. Even if I want to see a united Europe, I too realize the only culturally common thing Europe has is Christianity. This is why I proposed a common European language besides the rather droll language of English. A single European monarch could also be a way to bind Europe together.
    And even that we can't agree on. We have Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, Church of England, Inner Mission, Latter Day Saints, Jehovas Witness and another load of Christian groups in Europe. Also, they did try with that whole "One Language" thing with both Latin and later on Esperanto, eventually it doesn't work. And a single monarch? Jeebus that'd be one hell of a mess.

And is the amount of non-believers that surprising? Did you not watch the election a few weeks ago? The only thing we have in common in Europe is that we don't like each other.

Implying that your country is more complex?

Deleted
    Giving up sovereignty to a bunch of leftists that want to control, restrict and regulate every aspect of your life? No thanks.

We are already losing our identities and culture to mass immigration from non-European countries which is encouraged by the fat cats in Brussels. They want us to give up our soul so that we can live in a fictional "united Europe" full of pro multiculturalism shills that want to see Europe destroyed.

I'm glad my country is one of the few to remain truly free in this communist Europe.
    Lol
    Jokes and giggles aside:
    No, the EU will never become 1 country like the United States. It will remain a Union of countries. We will see an open border agreement with the Eurazic Union and the African Union before that happens.

And no, to the eurosceptics, the EU will not tear itself apart the coming decade, get over yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Implying that your country is more complex?
    The wonders of a confederation and direct democracy. Freedom that no other citizen in Europe possesses and will never posses. I can literally start a process to change our laws if I manage to gather enough signatures. Everything goes to vote, the people have the power in Switzerland, something that the EU doesn't like as seen by our recent vote to limit immigration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    I dont think so and I do hope it wont happen, because if it does, then its eventual disintegration will make the wars in Yugoslavia look like a joke. You cannot build a country without people who feel connected with the country - hence why Germany is still around and Austria-Hungary, Yugoslavia and Soviet Union are not.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    The wonders of a confederation and direct democracy. Freedom that no other citizen in Europe possesses and will never posses. I can literally start a process to change our laws if I manage to gather enough signatures. Everything goes to vote, the people have the power in Switzerland, something that the EU doesn't like as seen by our recent vote to limit immigration.
    ... I can do exactly that in Denmark, Sweden and Norway... Possibly Finland and Iceland too.

The EU would have been easier to sell if it resulted in better pay, more jobs and better life, but instead it's resulting in Social dumping and Exploitation. The economic side of the common market and single currency are just as bad as the political ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    And even that we can't agree on. We have Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox, Church of England, Inner Mission, Latter Day Saints, Jehovas Witness and another load of Christian groups in Europe. Also, they did try with that whole "One Language" thing with both Latin and later on Esperanto, eventually it doesn't work. And a single monarch? Jeebus that'd be one hell of a mess.

And is the amount of non-believers that surprising? Did you not watch the election a few weeks ago? The only thing we have in common in Europe is that we don't like each other.
    Cultural differences are not insurmountable. We have Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Indonesian, Philippina, Japanese, Irish, Persian, Arab, Nigerian, Black American, Italian, Jewish, Czech, German, Scandinavian etc. etc. cultures along with religious and language divides throughout the United States. But separate from all those cultures, we have a single national identity. Identity can supersede culture if you do it right. The US is VERY good at creating our own mythology and selling it to kids as we grow up here.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It won't. It will tear itself apart in the next few years.
    They said it in 2000.
    They said it in 2008.
    Its 2014 and they still say it.
    It`ll be 2020 and they will still preach it.

Keep on running after that carrot on a stick.

Deleted
    Oh my gosh I truly hope not.

So that somehow means your country is too complex for us foreigners to understand?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    I would hope not. Europe is made up of sovereign and distinct peoples. Why would they want to give that up?
    A single central government doesn't change the "distinct people" aspect.

Unless you're trolling, because you can't be serious.

Anyway, I don't even see the point of borders, and when shit like this comes up, I always pull up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_effect to present my case in tl;dr format.
    Last edited by Vargur; 2014-06-09 at 09:31 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted

You've clearly never heared of province's and regional states, wich are pretty much exactly the same thing. Everybody sees himself as a citizen of his city first, his province second and his country third, its not unique to your country.

And why should we care about the complexity of your country? My own country has 4 parliaments, 1 senate, a monarchie, a federal goverments, 3 regional state governments, 3 official languages 4 prime ministers and dozens of ministeries all for a country the size of a nickle. Complexity enough in Belgium, don't need to go to Switserland for complexity (or chocolate), only for clean bathrooms at highway stops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffodily View Post
    They said it in 2000.
    They said it in 2008.
    Its 2014 and they still say it.
    It`ll be 2020 and they will still preach it.

Keep on running after that carrot on a stick.
    It's Cybran, if he sais something about Europe it's safe to assume the exact opposite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    So that somehow means your country is too complex for us foreigners to understand?
    Of course, if you don't live here, you don't know anything at all.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Cultural differences are not insurmountable. We have Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Indonesian, Philippina, Japanese, Irish, Persian, Arab, Nigerian, Black American, Italian, Jewish, Czech, German, Scandinavian etc. etc. cultures along with religious and language divides throughout the United States. But separate from all those cultures, we have a single national identity. Identity can supersede culture if you do it right. The US is VERY good at creating our own mythology and selling it to kids as we grow up here.
    You say that like it's a good thing.