Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    FYI, if you are getting a Z97 chipset motherboard, you should get the new generation i5 or i7 processor, not the last generation. The new processors (i5 4690k and i7 4790k) are designed for that chipset, whereas the last generation processors (i5 4670k and i7 4770k) are designed for the Z87 chipset motherboards.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you are looking for help to choose your parts and everything, I would suggest you head over to www.reddit.com/r/buildapc and they would be happy to help you out. If you are indeed as computer illiterate as you say you are, I bet you could even get someone from that sub who lives near you to meet up with you in person and help you build it. They really are that friendly of a community.

Deleted
    ^ I have no idea what the first half of that means so I guess that answers your second part. Thanks for the reddit tip though, my friend who built the original one I wrote on here has offered to build it for me :-) Thanks

Ok, in that case, I would just suggest going to that reddit sub and explaining to them in a [Build Help] thread what your needs are and they will put together some solid build recommendations that are suited to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiane View Post
    I feel so illiterate on this forum, sometimes I wonder how I play WoW so well yet have no idea about computers aha.
    Yes I will be raiding 20M Mythic and going for Realm firsts, could anyone budget me one that will raid 25/20 raiding on Ultra, no OS needed my friend will pirate it.
    Kostattoo what would you recommend? Many thanks to everyone for helping, owe you all
    Slightly off topic but I feel it's important enough to mention. I'm not going to go all "Piracy is bad mmkay?" on you but honestly, there are 2 things you should never pirate when it comes to computer builds, especially new ones. Those 2 things are the operating system and anti-virus. If you're going to use a pirated OS, you might as well just put a bullet through your computer case and wait for something to go wrong. If you're going to use a pirated anti-virus, you might as well not use anti-virus at all. Add in the fact that there are plenty of anti-virus solutions that are completely free and using a pirated anti-virus is even more of a bad idea.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    Slightly off topic but I feel it's important enough to mention. I'm not going to go all "Piracy is bad mmkay?" on you but honestly, there are 2 things you should never pirate when it comes to computer builds, especially new ones. Those 2 things are the operating system and anti-virus. If you're going to use a pirated OS, you might as well just put a bullet through your computer case and wait for something to go wrong. If you're going to use a pirated anti-virus, you might as well not use anti-virus at all. Add in the fact that there are plenty of anti-virus solutions that are completely free and using a pirated anti-virus is even more of a bad idea.
    Yeah, you shouldn't use those extra cash for upgrading your hardware, put it on a OS.. Feels much better there.

Quote Originally Posted by Venius View Post
    Ok, in that case, I would just suggest going to that reddit sub and explaining to them in a [Build Help] thread what your needs are and they will put together some solid build recommendations that are suited to your needs.
    There are already solid builds posted on the previous page and if your looking for a general "How-To", check out Marest's guide.

snip
    If that is their choice then it is entirely up to them and they have to deal with any potential repercussions caused by it. That said, we also will not help them if that is their choice

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Yeah, you shouldn't use those extra cash for upgrading your hardware, put it on a OS.. Feels much better there.
    It is also illegal. Your not going to go out and steal a CPU so you can save some cash are you? Yeah downloading software is easier than stealing a box, but that doesn't make it legal and that is why we cannot help and encouraging them to do it is not the way to go.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-06-09 at 11:18 PM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Well I had no idea it was that serious, I guess I'll just add on the OS as well and go for Nottargets build

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiane View Post
    Well I had no idea it was that serious, I guess I'll just add on the OS as well and go for Nottargets build
    There is always a risk with pirated software/cracks/bypasses/etc so it is safer to simply buy the software. Plus you don't have to worry about backdoors or your "crack" not working properly and screwing up your installation and whatnot. I have been through that before and it is not fun.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Deleted
    Mentioning pirating and discussing it isn't allowed on the forum.

The build I linked you without the OS is going to be the best you can get for roughly that budget. If you need to push it even lower, then a 270X would do fine.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.99 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.24 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£68.23 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£59.91 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£149.99 @ Novatech)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Aria PC)
    Total: £584.49
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-10 00:23 BST+0100)

Deleted
    @ Kezotar, as you said when you edited your post you left out a tiny detail, 25hc/20Mythic
    Noone said that you can't play wow in an amd and prices do play a big part on it, thus what you buy. That said you need to take into account all the parameters. Thats why there is a sticky to be filled when someone ask for a pc build/upgrade in this forums. According to op's answer to those including the budget, he/she can get an intel proc that will give out more than the amd, much more. So there no arguing there and thus the build's proposed.

@Venius, at this time the new boards are out but not the cpu's. Also doesn't mean you can't get the new mobo and but the older gen cpu when there isnt big gains compared to the price. Also if you read closely i did propose to op to wait a few days for the new i5 4690k to come out, check prices if close to current i5 4670k and then decide.

I will not go into the o/s subject at all, since op said he/she needs an os at first so both myself and Notarget have it already in there.

@Nimiane, wait those days before making up your mind. You are probably now farming or even on a break like i am so it doesnt matter much now...
    There is no real differences between my 2nd build and Notargets performance, probably some personal choices except the gpu. The R9 280 Notarget proposed and the gtx 760 i proposed performance wise are about the same in favor of the R9 280 mostly cause of 3GB VRam instead of 2GB of the gtx760. Vram in wow will not make any difference, it will if you play other newer titles that are more gpu heavy rather than cpu.

My personal take on this is that for a performance/price ratio AMD gpu's win easily cause they are cheaper than Nvidia counter ones. But if i could afford the Nvidia even paying more i would any day. Simply because they got better support into the games/market.

Deleted
    Kostattoo messaged you about it I guess I'll wait 10 days, see how much more the i5 upgrade will be, I'm really confused which will be better for me though yours or Notargets so will have a think, any more advice/tips would be appreciated though. Thanks to everyone for the help.

What OS does your current computer have(if you have one)?

Deleted
    I'm currently using Vista, but I haven't been able to play WoW Since TOT HC progression on Lei, Was using a laptop back then which broke, now using one which can't even run wow on 10fps on minimum. Horrid.

Blehhhhh Vista. If it was Win7, you could just get a ISO from DigitalRiver and reinstall that way.

Only thing I could find for vista is a trial-download from Sofpedia, though it is Vista 1.2 and I am not sure if your key(you can get your current install's key using the jellybean keyfinder) will work on it, but it might be worth a shot

Deleted
    What I would do if I were you is to use your old harddrive with the OS and to use that in your new desktop and then to install wow on a separate SSD, or to copy your OS from the old harddrive to your new one, saves you around 90 quid - but you have to buy a case for your old one in order to transfer the OS. Just a tip! I did it recently, took me around 30 min USB 3.0 and saved me a lot of money!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gyllensward View Post
    What I would do if I were you is to use your old harddrive with the OS and to use that in your new desktop and then to install wow on a separate SSD, or to copy your OS from the old harddrive to your new one, saves you around 90 quid - but you have to buy a case for your old one in order to transfer the OS. Just a tip! I did it recently, took me around 30 min USB 3.0 and saved me a lot of money!
    Doesn't really work that way.

The OS drive from another MoBo can generally do some funny things, like BSOD when you stick em in a different machine. Best thing to do is to do a clean installation to prevent such things.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ Don't listen to him.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

1. Don't discuss pirating software on the forums. It will get the thread locked and/or deleted.

2. Intel/Nvidia are generally better supported by game developers. I would always recommend an Intel/Nvidia build over anything with AMD in it just because you'll get better temps and more longevity out of your components with equal or better performance than AMD.

3. WoD promises optimization in several areas of the game, including a new file system, reduction of animation clutter, and the squishing of numbers. Whatever you're going to buy now, should likely see an improvement with performance going into MoP.

Couple quick notes here:

1. If you're happy with Windows 7, it's been available for download from the Microsoft website. You don't need to pirate it at all. You do however, need to activate it, so you'll have to obtain a key somehow.

2. Anti virus are a scam anyway. They are generally not necessary unless you are completely inept on how the internet works and you have a lot of sensitive data being accessed through it by a lot of people in your company. It's easier to partition a drive and keep your OS separate from your data, just wipe the OS every couple months. Fresh install typically functions best anyway.

Replace your CPU ( and get a nice Z87 chipset board ) with a nice Intel one 4670k if it fits your budget, or something a bit lower that that , and you've got yourself a nice gaming rig.

And i recommend getting an Asus OC version of the 760 card.
    Cooler, quieter.

Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    There is always a risk with pirated software/cracks/bypasses/etc so it is safer to simply buy the software. Plus you don't have to worry about backdoors or your "crack" not working properly and screwing up your installation and whatnot. I have been through that before and it is not fun.
    How's that Microsoft/NSA alliance looking?