Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    High Overlord Grayjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    130
    Reading the books shouldn't be necessary to enjoy a faction, dude.

    Honestly, shit like robot cat and twilight highlands and them clearly pushing back SMV in favor of frostfire ridge...what's the point of playing a faction that the creative development team just doesn't give a shit about? It's just deeply frustrating.

  2. #22
    New Kid Zaelsino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    13,253
    The problem is less "Horde" and more "orcs." Blizzard seem to have a love-hate thing going on with this race (we see them absolutely everywhere, yet they're evil monsters most of the time) and it overshadows everything else. Both factions have races (dwarves, gnomes, draenei, worgen, tauren, trolls) who are starved for attention, while the orcs' story is repeated over and over again. It's tiresome.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The problem is less "Horde" and more "orcs." Blizzard seem to have a love-hate thing going on with this race (we see them absolutely everywhere, yet they're evil monsters most of the time) and it overshadows everything else. Both factions have races (dwarves, gnomes, draenei, worgen, tauren, trolls) who are starved for attention, while the orcs' story is repeated over and over again. It's tiresome.
    I can see where you're coming from. IMO I feel the expansions (for the most part) have revolved around:

    BC - BE's
    WotLK - Paladins and Forsaken
    Cata - Dragons n' Druids
    MoP - Obvious one here...

    Yes, key characters/heroes like Thrall may have made it look like it's ALL about that respective race, but not so much when you think about the overall plot.

  4. #24
    To say that the Alliance races, or even just Humans, are naturally bland and uninteresting is silly. If they are presented as such, then that means Blizzard has done a terrible job with how they are written/presented in-game (which they definitely have ). Outside books shouldn't be required to enjoy a faction in a game, but the unfortunate thing is that Blizzard has allowed this to occur, because apparently they simply aren't capable/intelligent enough to do otherwise.

    For me, it shakes out like this:
    Vanilla - Alliance-favored (generally better questing experience)
    TBC - Horde-favored (Blood Elves got significantly more lore than the Draenei, who were just sort of there. Seriously, even at the end of the xpac Velen was just a plot-device to further the BE story.)
    WotLK - Decently even approach to both factions (Arthas had strong connections to both the Alliance through Jaina and Muradin, and the Horde through the Forsaken and the Blood Elves.)
    Cata - Extremely Horde-favored (Horde got decently fleshed-out lore, phasing showing in-game accomplishments, quest-lines and other gameplay elements that were actually finished, etc. Alliance.......nope.)
    MoP - Started off with an even approach to both factions, snowballed into being Horde-favored with progressive patches past 5.2 (As others have mentioned, if you remove the Horde from that story, then the story disappears. If you remove the Alliance, the story actually still functions as a Horde redemption story. The Alliance were tagalongs at best in the latter half of the xpac.)

    In short, I agree. Blizzard needs to figure out how to write decent lore again, or hire talent that does.

    The crazy part about MoP is that the Alliance actually are the winners of the war with the Horde, and the story still feels bland and tacked-on.
    Last edited by Gelannerai; 2014-06-10 at 05:55 PM.

  5. #25
    Herald of the Titans MrHappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,562
    considering how much there is lore about the Draenei, and their store on Draenor....i'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are always ways to see the favoritism in factions. For example Garrisons for alliance are in a far better place than horde's imo they won that deal. Velen gets major attention as well.

    From an alliance standpoint this is not Horde vs Alliance anymore this is Orcs vs Humans 2.0. The Iron Horde that storms through the dark portal is history repeating itself except they are not empowered by old demonic powers but by modern technologies of Azeroth. If this does not give Alliance nostalgia...i dunno what will.
    www.cherishyourit.ca MCTS - Win 7, MCTS - AD, A+, Security+

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumchibi View Post
    I must be missing the lore here - why would Azshara be aimed toward the Alliance? And how was Gnomeregan not an Alliance instance?
    Azshara and the naga are all ex-night elves and Gnomeregan is run by leper gnomes, most of whom are neutral, a few Horde aligned (specifically to the Forsaken), but none of whom are Alliance. If Gnomer is an Alliance instance, so are Grim Batol, Stratholme, Scholomance and quite a number of others of that sort. I would venture to say that the only true Alliance dungeon is in fact the Stockades, with the Horde having exactly one opposite number in RFC.

  7. #27
    The Patient BlackBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Savannah
    Posts
    233
    I was thinking this same thing. However, the shear nature of the Horde is Chaos. Yes I too am tired of the Horde/Orc based Lore. I would like to get into some NE Azshara and Illidan type stuff, but i tire of the spikes and bones on every damn thing. I won't unsub, but it would be nice to change the pace up a bit or go horde, alliance,horde, alliance in relation to the xpacs
    CPU :- Intel i5 4670k
    Ram :- 12gb DDR3
    Mobo :- Asus Sabertooth z87 TUFF series
    GPU :- MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr
    Cooling :- ZALMAN Reserator 3 MAX Ultimate Water/Liquid CPU Cooler 120MM

  8. #28
    Warchief Aeula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fighting for the Alliance because yay alliance *Half-arsed cheer*
    Posts
    2,068
    My main gripe is that it's usually the orcs, trolls and goblins who get mass amounts of lore, whereas the more interesting races get stereotyped or forgotten (Evil forsaken, Treehugger Tauren and the damn blood elf jokes those bigots throw around to appeal to haters of our glorious race).
    I want to see the stereotyped horde races get a spotlight, blood elves got a little bit in 5.1/5.2 but the forsaken are still in the dark and Tauren lore seems to be all about baine, alliance lover.
    As for alliance, they need some more inner strife with dwarves, night elves taking a stand and ignoring varian for once and the Worgen retaking gilneas.

  9. #29
    I disagree entirely. I have never at any point ever felt that one faction got any favoritism, or that an expansion focused more on one over the other. What a person finds interesting is entirely subjective, and of course the faction with traditionally evil races will be the catalyst to more plot twists. But people need to get over this goofy notion that an entire expansion is themed one way, just because the primary enemy is of that race. Nobody used that logic in the old days when it would have been reversed...

  10. #30
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    I dont know...maybe i am an orcs lover...but there where i dont see no orcs/undead/humans...there is no warcraft anymore
    orcs are my best? what u wanted? we always have some1...they are the main vilain thats why they are showed in the pictures always...first garrosh now this...
    want jaina proudmoore be on picture? then make her a main vilain
    in MoP we had almost everyone...added news with pandas/mogu but i didnt see them as interesting as orcs are
    I'd say that orcs have best model ever...humans are main also ofc...arthas for example...but looking at the model make me want to be sick
    same with night elves...cool also...but cant look at those jelly legged male elves...
    Always horde...but i do love females NE and female Humans + draenei's and worgen

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Azshara and the naga are all ex-night elves and Gnomeregan is run by leper gnomes, most of whom are neutral, a few Horde aligned (specifically to the Forsaken), but none of whom are Alliance. If Gnomer is an Alliance instance, so are Grim Batol, Stratholme, Scholomance and quite a number of others of that sort. I would venture to say that the only true Alliance dungeon is in fact the Stockades, with the Horde having exactly one opposite number in RFC.
    lol sholomance and stratholme? have undead become human friends,,,since when...gnomeregan is not the same...neather is grim batol who hates horde and aliance both

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Penguin View Post
    As a fellow hordie, I'm with you on this one. Specifically, I'm a little tired of seeing orcs in the spotlight. It would be nice to have a more neutral focused expansion ala TBC or Wrath for a change.

    Note: I also think human pressence, more specifically King Chin, could be toned down a little. I don't like how this guy comes off as an amazing figure that all other races cowtow to for some reason.
    I'm VERY TIRED of this overused and misguided excuse. JUST BECAUSE the villains are orcs DOES NOT MEAN it's a "Hordecentric" expansion. From what I've seen so far the alliance is getting TONS of storytelling and all the horde gets is Thrall dealing with his daddy issues. Am I excited about this expacs storyline? FUCK NO! Metzen is going back in time just to shit on my childhood by REWRITING the warcraft 2 story to fit his stupid alternate reality. I'd kill for a naga expansion at this point, and hopefully have them tie the naga into a new race after Azshara is killed and they are left leaderless.

  12. #32
    Pit Lord Gerbert the's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA OF AMERICA
    Posts
    2,426
    yes i am very sick of being an org and all the drama of the horde.sometimes i dreamed of being a gnome but i dont know,feels like maybe it is offensive to be one?i do admire the alliance lore more than hore lore but that maybe because i am sick of the horde i think.i really want to try a paladine on my horde but its stupid though because you can't be a dwarf paladine for the horde? yeah ok then!lol so yeah no more horde for me soon probably lol.
    "【A Chinese viewpoint on the new version:MOP】
    since we have lived in a world filled with magic and beast and lots of culture,so it is reasonable to let all kinds of culture come into World of Warcraft
    Orc:black people Jazz
    Gorblin:Israel Jews (No offensive,Gorblins are good at making money,that's ture in my eyes)"

  13. #33
    Dreadlord AbsolutVodka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeroz View Post
    Tbh you should really read the books . Alliance do get alot of cool lore.
    Btw JUST because we fight orcs does not make it a horde expansion. This is just as much a alliance based exp then a horde one.
    Wait what? how is Tbc and Mop a horde expansion :s i saw quite a lot of alliance there or did you miss all that ?

    And again if you like the lore , Read the books.
    I'm sure Alliance has some amazing lore, Arthas for one is a great example. However, the Physical Lore doesn't always get translated well in game. I'm looking for a balanced representation of both factions as well as their respective races. And I argued TBC because it's heavy portrayal of the Blood Elves, where as the Draenei kinda just landed and there's that. The Burning Legion, heavily Orc based, then Sunwell Plateau and Tempest Keep, the list goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    My main gripe is that it's usually the orcs, trolls and goblins who get mass amounts of lore, whereas the more interesting races get stereotyped or forgotten (Evil forsaken, Treehugger Tauren and the damn blood elf jokes those bigots throw around to appeal to haters of our glorious race).
    I want to see the stereotyped horde races get a spotlight, blood elves got a little bit in 5.1/5.2 but the forsaken are still in the dark and Tauren lore seems to be all about baine, alliance lover.
    As for alliance, they need some more inner strife with dwarves, night elves taking a stand and ignoring varian for once and the Worgen retaking gilneas.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The argument I'm posing is that not only is the Horde so vastly portrayed, at the same time, it's usually the Orcs who get most of the love.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayjoy View Post
    Reading the books shouldn't be necessary to enjoy a faction, dude.

    Honestly, shit like robot cat and twilight highlands and them clearly pushing back SMV in favor of frostfire ridge...what's the point of playing a faction that the creative development team just doesn't give a shit about? It's just deeply frustrating.
    I'm very well aware that Physical Lore =/= In Game Lore. Not everything can be covered to the tee. I'm just arguing that the Horde has received way too much coverage, especially the Orcs.

    I didn't exactly say that I wanted an entire expansion for the Alliance alone, I only mentioned that if it were to be done, I wouldn't have a gripe with it being that the Horde got it's time to shine. I just would like to learn more about the Alliance in game, as well as their respective races as well as the Horde's that aren't orcs.
    Last edited by AbsolutVodka; 2014-06-10 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I'm sorry I have a penis. WHY? WHY AM I A MONSTER?!

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I disagree entirely. I have never at any point ever felt that one faction got any favoritism, or that an expansion focused more on one over the other. What a person finds interesting is entirely subjective, and of course the faction with traditionally evil races will be the catalyst to more plot twists. But people need to get over this goofy notion that an entire expansion is themed one way, just because the primary enemy is of that race. Nobody used that logic in the old days when it would have been reversed...
    Luckily there are way more legitimate reasons, both gameplay-wise and lore-wise, as to why people see Blizzard's writing as lopsided in various cases than simply "hurr Arthas was Human and Garrosh was Orc."

  15. #35
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    its not translated at all...u witness game after the book and before its like book first game later and so on

  16. #36
    Mechagnome Xeroz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm sure Alliance has some amazing lore, Arthas for one is a great example. However, the Physical Lore doesn't always get translated well in game. I'm looking for a balanced representation of both factions as well as their respective races. And I argued TBC because it's heavy portrayal of the Blood Elves, where as the Draenei kinda just landed and there's that. The Burning Legion, heavily Orc based, then Sunwell Plateau and Tempest Keep, the list goes on.



    Couldn't have said it better myself. The argument I'm posing is that not only is the Horde so vastly portrayed, at the same time, it's usually the Orcs who get most of the love.



    I'm very well aware that Physical Lore =/= In Game Lore. Not everything can be covered to the tee. I'm just arguing that the Horde has received way too much coverage, especially the Orcs.

    I didn't exactly say that I wanted an entire expansion for the Alliance alone, I only mentioned that if it were to be done, I wouldn't have a gripe with it being that the Horde got it's time to shine. I just would like to learn more about the Alliance in game, as well as their respective races as well as the Horde's that aren't orcs.

    But still thats not Horde based, just because we have orcs , and Blood elfs. And just because the raids are with orcs , elfs they had other races too :s so cant see the point here
    :s and yeah i agree with you on the tbc that Draenei didnt get much love there, and blizzard already said that aswell, but they will get their time in this one. and im pretty sure some of the other races will too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by bison91 View Post
    its not translated at all...u witness game after the book and before its like book first game later and so on
    What´s in the books wont be ingame.

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,167
    I'm a little bored of the Orcs (except the Saurfangs), but I am not bored of the Horde at all. I love Goblins, Tauren and Blood Elves. They are so different, yet when they team up they are cohere and awesome.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by bison91 View Post
    lol sholomance and stratholme? have undead become human friends,,,since when...gnomeregan is not the same...neather is grim batol who hates horde and aliance both
    Last time I checked Gnomeregan - the dungeon - was not in gnome hands. It is a former gnome city. In the exact same way Grim Batol is a former Wildhammer city, Stratholme and Scholomance are former human cities, and so forth. And since both factions have quests that lead them into it, it is not a matter of being tailored to one faction or the other. Stockades and RFC are the only exceptions, being that their entrances are inaccessible to appropriately leveled members of the opposite faction and they contain no quests for them either.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeroz View Post
    Tbh you should really read the books . Alliance do get alot of cool lore.
    I've read the books, and they really don't get any cool lore, at least not in the last couple years.

  20. #40
    Mechagnome Xeroz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by Every Pwny View Post
    I've read the books, and they really don't get any cool lore, at least not in the last couple years.
    War Crimes give quite alot lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •