Multiplier settings not showing in CPU-Z

Hello!

First time overclocker here, decided I wanted some more juice from my CPU.

I currently have a P8Z77-V PRO and an i5-3570K. I have been looking at several guides on how to overclock and I just want a minor OC. Like 4.3.
    However, when I change my multiplier settings in BIOS to 43, nothing shows in CPU-Z. My multiplier is still 16x - 38x

Eventually I got tired of it not working, and decided to try AI suite II auto overclock. And it worked instantly, giving me a nice 4.3. However the settings do not save for safety reasons according to ASUS, so I have to redo the auto OC every time I start my computer, which is not something I want to do.

Does anyone know why my Multi settings are not showing up in CPU-Z? When I go into my BIOS to check them, they are still at 43.

And yes, I know AI suite II is bad, but I had to try if it worked.

Thanks!

Deleted
    Just to make something clear. First of you have the newest cpu-z version. Then when you sitting idle cpu-z won't show x43 but say 18. This is what is supposed to cause your cpu has clocked down on idle at this moment. When you open something is will up and down depending on load. So you will see x43 in cpu-z when you start a stress test and cpu goes to max clocks. To sum it up our cpu will go up to x43 if its needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Just to make something clear. First of you have the newest cpu-z version. Then when you sitting idle cpu-z won't show x43 but say 18. This is what is supposed to cause your cpu has clocked down on idle at this moment. When you open something is will up and down depending on load. So you will see x43 in cpu-z when you start a stress test and cpu goes to max clocks. To sum it up our cpu will go up to x43 if its needed.
    But as of right now it says x 16.0 (16 - 38) in the multiplier bit in CPU-Z. Shouldn't it say x 16.0 (16 - 43)?

Deleted
    Hmm dont remember that and it doesnt matter does it? While having cpu-z open, get a game going and see if it goes up to x43 at all. If it does its all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Hmm dont remember that and it doesnt matter does it? While having cpu-z open, get a game going and see if it goes up to x43 at all. If it does its all good.
    Currently stress testing it with Prime95, still stuck at 3790.95 Mhz

Thanks for the response tho, I'll keep trying.

Deleted
    Does assus suite show it properly under Prime95?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoin View Post
    But as of right now it says x 16.0 (16 - 38) in the multiplier bit in CPU-Z. Shouldn't it say x 16.0 (16 - 43)?
    How are you overclocking, exactly?

"16 - 38" is stock settings.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    How are you overclocking, exactly?

"16 - 38" is stock settings.
    I am changing multiplier to 43 on all cores in bios, and also upping the voltage a bit.

The fact that 16 - 38 is stock settings is my exact problem. It doesnt change no matter what I set my multiplier to. Just tried clearing the BIOS using the CMOS jumper on the mobo cause I read it might help. Didn't actually clear anything, which is wierd. I hesitate to clear the BIOS by removing the battery as I don't want to accidently ruin something.

- - - Updated - - -

Just followed this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/i...s-motherboards step by step. No difference.

Weird thing is it says x38 (16 - 63) now while using Prime95. But I know I set the multi to 43.
    Last edited by Dracoin; 2014-06-10 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you changing the CPU RATIO in the CPU Power Management... or the base multiplier in... somewhere else
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are you changing the CPU RATIO in the CPU Power Management... or the base multiplier in... somewhere else
    I am changing the core ratio for all cores to 43 AND the CPU ratio in the CPU Power Management to the same number i.e 43.

When I do this it says 4300 Mhz in the top of the ASUS UEFI BIOS utility. I save my settings, and the computer restarts as it should. But when I actually get into windows and run Prime95, the clock stops at 3790.95mhz, which is the exact same as before I change the multiplier. Restarted the computer to check if settings in BIOS reverted, but nope, still sitting at 4300mhz.

Besides this I have also tried following the guide that I linked step by step, changing a bunch of other little things aswell, but no dice.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish to thank you for your time, and let you know that I solved it. A simple BIOS update fixed the problem. However, when I run Prime95 coretemp shows 100 degrees celsius, which is crazy hot even tho I have 3 extra fans from my NXZT Phantom case, which to me seems a bit wierd. Guess I'll have to get 2 more fans to fill the case out.
    Last edited by Dracoin; 2014-06-10 at 11:24 PM.

How hot it is at idle? What is the voltage at?
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt see it here.. what cooler do you have? It's... not the stock cooler, is it?

Voltage is 1.035 atm in bios. Think I might need to up it to 1.135 as that's what AI suite II did. Can't remember idle temps (I reverted to stock as of now), but alot lower.

Yes it's the stock CPU cooler, but with 3 extra case fans. 1 200mm and 2 smaller ones. I guess I should've realised that it wasn't enough. But alas, this is my first time overclocking. I'm planning on visiting a shop tomorrow to get a liquid CPU cooler if possible. And maybe another 200 mm fan.

Also I really appreciate you guys spending time replying to my thread. The original problem is now solved atleast, now it should just be a simple matter of getting better cooling.
    Last edited by Dracoin; 2014-06-11 at 01:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoin View Post
    Yes it's the stock CPU cooler, but with 3 extra case fans.
    Ah, yeah. Thats your problem. Uh.. IU honestly wouldnt even recommend overclocking with the stock fan. At all.

Case fans do very little for actual CPU cooling. They keep your ambient temp down inside the case. Two different functions. It's sort of like and this is a bad analogy) turning up the AC in your car, because your engine is overheating. It just doesn't work that way.

Yeahhh, that would be why it is overheating :\

Grab yourself a Hyper 212 EVO and some paste and slap that sucker on there.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-06-11 at 02:55 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.