Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    ....When the hell was he added to the game as well. How the heck did I miss all this?
    Added in 5.1, he's in a crib next to Aggra in the Orc starting area. It's part of the Dominance Offensive quest line.

This is all I could find on Durak on wowiki lol http://www.wowwiki.com/Durak

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    True, but you don't get your ass kicked then act tough when others do what you couldn't.

Yep. Didn't like that aspect of either fight. At least Fordring fought some.... Thrall just got tossed aside like a wet rag.
    Thrall almost lost to Garrosh in a duel then the Scourge came and interrupted.

Well, Thrall means slave in English and it was always hard for me to take him seriously. So his son being fool in Russian doesn't seem to be much of a problem I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with Durak.

But Go'el is a bit too close to comfort imo.
    Go'el, Kal-el, Jor-el..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Can't we just agree that this is a fantasy universe that doesn't overlap with ours at all? We only understand things because they were translated into our language, likewise names usually don't get translated, more even the written version of these names are merely phonetic transcriptions that don't reflect every aspect of the original. These names mean something entirely different within the fantasy, if anything, and just because something from our world sounds similar that doesn't mean it's the same thing. Especially if you choose to get angry about it.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

Looking at his family tree, Durak was most likely named after his grandparents Durotan and Draka. And I'm sure Go'el means something profound in orcish.

The thing about language is, it's all made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    Looking at his family tree, Durak was most likely named after his grandparents Durotan and Draka. And I'm sure Go'el means something profound in orcish.

Yup, in orcish Go'el means "Green Jesus, Divine Lord and Savior, Beloved by all".

The apostrophe replaces the letter 'D.' God El, deity of most early Semitic religions and derivative faiths thereof.
    Last edited by Lumineus; 2014-06-12 at 03:59 PM.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

that what happened when you play persona while waiting for your child to get born

In my language Drek in the Drek'thar means "shit. It's just something we have to live with.

Deleted
    He can get a name change for a few quid when he grows up if he's that bothered.

Well Thrall, at least for a long time not sure if he's going by Thrall or Go'el today, kept the name Thrall knowing it meant slave, so why not give his son a similarly coll sounding yet insulting name? It's a family tradition now.

Russians don't exist in Warcraft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Isn't there a jug of hatorade you should be drinking somewhere?
    I heard that if you stick your fingers firmly into your ears, the sticky milk-like liquid you swallow under the name of Blizzard Kool Aid stops foaming from them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CataclismicSunrise View Post
    It actually doesn't exist to any relevant extent. There are phrases supposed to mean some things, but they don't form anything that could be even a scrap of a language. Looking at supposedly Orcish phrases in-game as an Ally you'll quickly notice they are not at all a language. And from what I remember so far, the longest premade phrase was lok'tar o gar.
    Made up languages would be esperanto, quenya, sindarin - and from recent times e.g. High Valyrian and Dothraki made up with some actual linguistic effort for HBO (GRRM didn't tackle this as he doesn't consider himself a new JRRT).
    Now compare lok'tar o gar with Drogo's speech about going to conquer Westeros or books people wrote in quenya/sindarin.

NO WAY this is unintentional. Blizzard has russian speakers among dev staff. They also changed names before when they ended up sounding problematic - "Lord Antichrist" anyone? If they keep this in game - it's absolutely intentional.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Wonder if he has a friend named Duraker though..

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    NO WAY this is unintentional. Blizzard has russian speakers among dev staff. They also changed names before when they ended up sounding problematic
    http://wowhead.com/npc=61156#comments
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Should of called him Raistlin Majere, and totally just end it there.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastyfish View Post
    Should of called him Raistlin Majere, and totally just end it there.
    Why? Because he and Thrall are both originally awesome characters that were then used too much and overstayed their welcome?

Thrall sounds cool. Considering its Old Norse it is a name Humans would give an Orc. But still sounds cool.

Go'el just invokes too much Superman for it to be passable. Love the WowWiki entry for Thrall tho...

"Thrall (birthname Go'el, or alternatively known as Green Jesus)" http://www.wowwiki.com/Thrall.

They really need to kill him off for the sake of story telling.

As someone mentioned before, good Orcish names all sound like something Klingons would come up with. Blizz should put in a policy that from now on all Orc names are to be invented by people fluent enough in Klingon to recite Shakespeare in Klingon at Star Trek conventions.