New Enthusiast Build

Budget $2000.00 USD
    Resolution 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired WoW, D3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, etc / Ultra
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) I may start to do some WoW and D3 streaming.
    Country USA
    Parts that can be reused Case
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Maybe speakers, but I haven't decided on any

I'd like to make a new enthusiast build, with some next gen fluff. I'm not really looking at being budget conscious, but want to keep it at or around $2000.00 USD. I'll be gaming, WoW, D3, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, etc. If the budget and configuration allows for a 1440p monitor than I'd be interested in that as well possibly. Another note, I have an AC dual band router, so I'm looking for a motherboard with good AC wifi, or maybe a separate card.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M550 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive ($334.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($418.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1764.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 09:23 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by Erous; 2014-06-11 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    So I changed it around a bit

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Mwave)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X Video Card ($457.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($579.99 @ Adorama)
    Total: $2144.89
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 09:57 EDT-0400)

No point in going for a m550 with the new MX100. Performance is a bit less, but that price (and I doubt you will notice the performance difference).
    Cheaper motherboard, I think it is easier and cheaper to just get a separate card. I have no clue which one to get tho.
    Picked another 290, read something about the fans of MSI being of lower quality. And I think this is one of the best 290s out there.
    I also added a 1440p screen, I guess you could also consider a korean one price wise.

Thanks Zeara. I was debating on whether or not the m.2 would be worth it, plus they are very difficult to come by, plus the SSD price is great for the 512GB. That's unfortunate that the MSI fans are poor...not too keen on Sapphire though as a brand as I haven't used them yet

Deleted

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Best Buy)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($474.99 @ NCIX US)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260HMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($47.96 @ Mwave)
    Total: $2032.85
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-11 10:10 EDT-0400)

This includes a 1440p monitor from Asus.

You'll have to decide if the MSI power motherboard is worth the extra ~$50 instead of the combo. AC Wireless card included in the build.

Trust me the SSD change is absolutely fine, the performance is good and well worth the price drop.

I like the PSU (Seasonic OEM) a little better overall, nice flat cables for better cable management.

Everything matching Black, Red, gray assuming you care about that

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing you have to do now but I would replace the stock fans on the H100i or swap to air cooling, example:

NZXT HAVIK 140
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK

Asus monitor review:

Asus PB278Q
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-06-11 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks Notarget. Yeah, I did like the Black/Grey/Red scheme. I had a previous MSI motherboard and loved it. I was looking at the NZXT coolers, but wasn't sure if I wanted to go air cooled. It would be the first aftermarket, air cooled system I'd be building. My other rigs I've built with AIO liquid kits. What does this mean for case fans at the top where the RAD would be? Blowing air up and out? Assume 3 fans blowing up and out?

Deleted
    I have no idea which case or how many fans you have but yes typically you would have two top for exhaust along with the back fan. I mean you can orient fans whichever way you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I have no idea which case or how many fans you have but yes typically you would have two top for exhaust along with the back fan. I mean you can orient fans whichever way you prefer.
    Understood. With the AIO coolers, I would push out from the top through the RAD for cooling...so with heat rising assuming this would still be the case. Thanks for all the help.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I said I already had a case....but...any thoughts on the NZXT H440 Mid tower cases? Might as well go for the full color scheme:

http://store.nzxt.com/H440-Mid-Tower-Case-Black-p/ca-h440w-m1.htm

They also have it in white.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Understood. With the AIO coolers, I would push out from the top through the RAD for cooling...so with heat rising assuming this would still be the case. Thanks for all the help.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I said I already had a case....but...any thoughts on the NZXT H440 Mid tower cases? Might as well go for the full color scheme:

http://store.nzxt.com/H440-Mid-Tower...a-h440w-m1.htm

They also have it in white.
    The H440 is an incredible case, but it cannot hold an optical drive.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Whoa didn't see that. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't NEED an optical drive. That's what the flash drive would be used for. Looks like the budget dropped by $15 lol

Deleted
    I like that one, pretty good case overall.

As for the fans on your AIO, that sounds about right. Assuming whatever case you end up with has mounts for top fans you can still do that even if you go with an air heatsink. The air HS will obviously not be attached to the top but sending the heat towards the back of the case.

I also like the Corsair 450D case || Review according to Partpicker there might be issue fitting the Havik/Phanteks even though when I look at the dimmensions it should fit even if it's tight. If that's the case you could always go with the H100i you had your eyes on first.

I like the Corsair better but there is also these from Fractal, never bad to have some options, right?

Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window
    Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White)

I think this one looks great but do note it's a full tower so it's quite big:

Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White)
    Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower

These last ones have a little more unique look to them:

Corsair Air 540 Black
    Corsair Air 540 White
    Corsair Air 540 Silver

Edit: Yeah who uses DVD drives nowadays

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: Meh, might was well make a new one lol
    Last edited by Deafyx; 2014-06-11 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    The H440 is the best case in that price range, bar none. No other case has the functionality, looks, and price tag.

Besides, you don't even need an optical drive. If you absolutely must have one, just get an external drive you can use with any system. It's the best option for optical drives going into the future anyway.