Thread: Memory BSODs

Memory BSODs

Heya guys,

Been having some strange and rather infrequent BSODs for about a month now.
    They seem to only occur on first start up of the day (cold startup?) and will crash a short while after entering Windows, with the flag MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

I checked BluescreenViewer and this is what it produced. > Picture <

I know the usual replies will be regarding memtest and I haven't performed a test yet, but it's definitely going to happen, just want to eliminate some possible factors before assuming it's something wrong with the memory.

So, having read up on some of the info BluescreenView came up with, it seems to be either:
    a) Hardware fault, something wrong with the physical memory.
    b) A voltage issue.

Now, what leads me to believe it's b) rather than a) is the following:

Crash happens -> Windows boots back up -> Some applications crash on start up -> Things like Chrome open up, but give me errors due to memory.
    Wait 1 minute and all errors are gone, Chrome works fine, applications that crash earlier can be started up again and everything is fine and dandy. These crashes don't ever happen apart from on the first start up (so far).

So, I looked into some posters claiming that it's an overclocking thing gone wrong. Specs here:

I've done no overclocking, apart from raising my voltage on the DRAM to 1.65 (after reading about the voltage issue). Should it be higher?
    Are my timings okay on the RAM? Does anything else look strange?

Any ideas on what could be causing these? I will be doing memtests once I can free up enough for them, but first I want to rule out any issues?
    Also, if any info is missing, I'll be happy to provide it.

The MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bug check has a value of 0x0000001A. This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

Check if the ram is in the right slot(se in the manual for the motherboard)
    Or try put the ram stick in a another slot.

in addition to checking the memory try the following:

1.Download and install updates and device drivers for your computer from Windows Update.
    2.Scan your computer for computer viruses.

some rare time it can be only a corrupted windows system file.
    try restore it to a earlier time before you had the problem
    1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.
    2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
    3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.
    4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.
    5) Click Next on the confirmation window.
    6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.
    Edit:noticed that the ram mhz is verry low. might just be wrong setting in bios
    Last edited by accomplish; 2014-06-11 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by accomplish View Post
    Edit:noticed that the ram mhz is verry low. might just be wrong setting in bios
    It's not very low, it's standard for a 1333mhz memory. You need to double it (DDR = Double Data Rate) to get the speed it actually transfers at.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    1.65volt to 1333Mhz seems high. Go into the bios and check if you have a XMP ram profile enabled and put it back to default. Also i'd leave the voltage on auto, why would you get it up to 1.65? Does the manufacturer (what is it?) of your ram say it needs it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    1.65volt to 1333Mhz seems high. Go into the bios and check if you have a XMP ram profile enabled and put it back to default. Also i'd leave the voltage on auto, why would you get it up to 1.65? Does the manufacturer (what is it?) of your ram say it needs it?
    I upped it after reading about someone with a similar problem who said that the crashes was due to low voltage. It's Corsair Vengeance Low Profile.

EDIT: I switched XMP on now, will see if it changes things.
    EDIT2: More interestingly, after restarting it seems like somehow, all my settings for WoW was reset with this. Interesting?
    Last edited by Wintermut3; 2014-06-11 at 07:37 PM.

You might want to run a Memtest, your memory could be defective.

Also, 1333mhz at 1.65v is rather weak, it look like underpowered memory, it should be at 1.5v MAX.
    1.65v is for 1866mhz+
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Deleted
    Well not really if its old ram, in my old pc, kingston hyperX 1600Mhz needed 1.65v according to manufacturer. So unless the ram says 1.65v you shouldn't push more than 1.5 unless you overclock it. Even if it needed some more juice at stock Mhz you would pump it up to 1.51-1.53 not more.