View Poll Results: Do you think gay is a derogatory term?

Voters
162. This poll is closed
  • Yes

63 38.89%
  • No

99 61.11%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    People who ain't getting any might be offended.
    Honestly, I don't even think people relate "fucking" in the context I used to sex, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Of course it can. Why couldn't it?

Imagine if a popular personality decided to starting making a speech using the word "dollar" as an offense to women or black people (regardless of how that could be done). Now the word "dollar" has an offensive connotation. Should the US change their money name because the word might be offensive? Should we never say "dollar" again because it might offend someone?

Feeling offended by a word when the speaker had no intention to use the word by its offensive meaning is pure immaturity.
    You could use the word "nigger" in jest with no ill feelings behind it, but if it offends a group of black people and they get mad at you - your fault. The connotations are still there regardless.

I never said words should be changed to avoid offence, just that words remain offensive even if you don't mean them that way and you should be aware of that when you speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I don't think being gay is bad, and I don't use "gay" as a derogatory term since I can express myself in other ways. It's about as clever as saying "hetero" when referring to lame or stupid...

10+ Year Old Account
    The word itself is not derogatory, but it used as a derogatory word, mainly when used to talk about something lame, IMO that should be changed cause it is "insulting" a group of people in one way or another (Fun fact: In the past people didn't used "That's gay", they actually used "That's jew")

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You could use the word "nigger" in jest with no ill feelings behind it, but if it offends a group of black people and they get mad at you - your fault.
    Interesting, because some people in this thread have implied that it would be their fault for taking offense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only use the word gay in conversation when I am out with a gay friend of mine, and he does something gay. He doesn't mind, but I can't speak for all homosexuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I realise this is a semantics discussion, but it's impossible to have the conversation about why "gay" is viewed as a negative term without discussing homosexuality and perceptions of the gay community, and we don't allow those topics on our forums.

Closing this.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |