10+ Year Old Account

Real video footage?

From what I've seen and checked it checks out to be real. You can see earlier on the video a dark figure sort of on the right side of the camera in the water and when the camera jerks it's because he kicked his legs, there is no edited part right there.

Are there any editors on here who can confirm as well?
    Hey everyone

I dunno, that shark just looks like it's hanging out and the guy was panicking because he saw a shark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's fake. The noise he makes when he sees it is just cartoonish and fake. I'm not saying you can't swim with sharks, this just seems like one of those Jimmy Kimmel videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy def didn't "fight" off the shark.
    That telegraph article puts a lot of emphasis on the 59 second marker, where it does appear that the shark teleports

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and to be fair, even if it was legit..the shark probably would have left him alone if he hadn't kicked around and screamed like a little girl.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Yeah and to be fair, even if it was legit..the shark probably would have left him alone if he hadn't kicked around and screamed like a little girl.
    Yeah... why does he have to be such a girl it's not like he's in the water with an animal that can easily kill him or anything.

Note how go pro cameras have a conspicuous amount of fisheye distortion, but the shark doesn't appear to be distorted as it swims near the fringes of the shot.

EDIT:
    Also
    http://www.lensation.de/en/calculators.html

Assuming the Shark is 2.5m long and given that the GoPro's have a 2/3" sensor, the point at which he waves his hand at the shark, the shark is close enough to fill the entire frame (and assuming from the fisheye distortion that the camera was in ultra wide angle mode, putting the angle of view at 170 degrees) the shark would have had to have been 0.1m from him. So he should have made contact with the shark, unless his arms are less than 0.1m long.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2014-06-13 at 06:22 AM.

Deleted
    Looks real imo. I do not se the "teleport" - all is see is the camera shaking which makes the shark move on the screen.
    The "Almost" footage is obvious fake though - it is pretty clear that he just clipped in footage from the Sidney Harbour footage.
    But who knows, skilled video editors have made the viewers look silly before - might turn out to be impossible for sharks to be at that place. If it is a Go pro viral commercial we will prolly know in a week or two.

Even if it was real, I doubt he would have been attacked. That area doesn't look like very good seal habitat. More than likely a shark in that area would have just been hanging out.

Great White Sharks aren't all that incredibly dangerous in the long run. Bull sharks are though. I read somewhere that they believe that a large percentage of "great white shark attacks" are mis-attributed and probably attacks by Bull sharks, mostly because when people think shark they think White sharks.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2014-06-13 at 07:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Yeah... why does he have to be such a girl it's not like he's in the water with an animal that can easily kill him or anything.
    I didn't say he was a little girl. I said he scrreamed like one. As in pitch. but I guess you can see sexist arguments if you really want to.
    You're a towel.

Deleted
    LOL, the way the guy shouts "shaaaaark" is so bad. It couldn't have been more unconvincing if he'd just spoken the word.

I didn't say he was a little girl. I said he scrreamed like one. As in pitch. but I guess you can see sexist arguments if you really want to.
    Oh come on, you clearly were implying he was not manly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    That telegraph article puts a lot of emphasis on the 59 second marker, where it does appear that the shark teleports
    jesh, have people never heard of the Great Teleporting Shark of Australia ?

Quote Originally Posted by Voisier View Post
    I will try my absolute best to explain to you why this video isn't fake, no, why it technically cannot be fake. Let's for instance say that this was indeed fake, you would need a few things: underwater green/blue screen for ease of separating the human from the background; tracking software that will track the perspective of the go pro camera in all 3D axis underwater with or without 3D markers; a then seamlessly matched moved camera imported into the 3D package you are presumably going to "render" the 3D realistic shark in, so that the animation of the shark is in line with how the video is captured through the perspective of the man's go pro camera. Did I lose you yet? Probably did but I'll keep going anyways. For a second lets say you do not it fact have an underwater green screen at your disposal, which I doubt these people had, you would have to follow all the steps aforementioned above WHILE also having to ROTOSCOPE (not going to explain this daunting video editing technique, google it) the Entire footage from the point in which the dude is underwater and until the end of the second encounter. I don't know about you, but as a graphic designer I know how difficult it can be to rotoscope such footage and to accurately roto out the motion blur caused by this guys hand movements. Let's take it a bit further and say that if in fact he couldn't get a hold of a green screen and would have to roto out the footage, the underwater bubbles generated from his movements would make 3D tracking this footage a complete nightmare.

Now that you know the necessary skill level needed to pull something like this off, I can safely assume that this guy does not work for Pixar nor has the budget to afford such video editing or would be willing to waste months of his time putting together a technical masterpiece of this magnitude only so that retards on the net can embellish their idiocy by labeling this as fake.
    Or you could just frame stack a video of swimming with the GoPro camera with stock footage of a shark swimming in water together using stacking software in a matter of minutes. i.e. any dumbass can fake a video these days with minimal effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    omg this guy is a hero I mean he defeated a teleporting shark

I'll never swim in the ocean again

Shark doesn't give a fuck about him. Just because a shark is in the water with you doesn't mean it wants to eat you.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Shark doesn't give a fuck about him. Just because a shark is in the water with you doesn't mean it wants to eat you.
    then by all means, jump in with that thing and prove how right you are

Deleted
    Yeh what a pussy. Kicking and screaming just because he's face to face with a motherfucking big ass shark. Pft...
    I would have definitely stood still. That's because I would have been dead by sudden fulminating heart attack.