Thread: Shadowy Dilemma

Shadowy Dilemma

Hello folks!
    I've always been in love with shadow priests, even though I always played something else.
    Now, with WoD, I finally have the chance to reroll to shadow...but a doubt grew in me:
    I want (and will) to raid mythic, so I'll be in a decent/good guild to say the least and I fear that, as a priest, I will be asked to heal (sporadically).
    I never ever healed in 7 years of WoW and don't have any intention to do so for the next Xpac.
    I always try to play my toon at 100% and I feel I could lose a big part of being a priest if I don't offspec healer for random raid purposes.
    Is it just a my thing or there's some truth?

TL;DR
    Does it make sense to go as shadow priest without ever touching disc/holy if I want to raid in a mid-high end guild?

(Don't try to change my mind about healing xD)

Thanks <3

PS: sorry for the poor English and the useless (for most) thread :V

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your guild. If the roster is healthy, there shouldn't be a problem. But on a personal note: I find priest healing fun. I main a paladin and i hate the holy spec as fuck.
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

Deleted
    Hello,

offspec healing is probably mandatory in semi-hc guilds, to help on some boss requiring ridiculous amount of healer (25 Thok, 25 Juggernaut ?), and sometime to replace a fellow afk healer.
    For cata/mop, you were able to just spam smite on boss in disc spec, with some additional gameplay, and get descent scores... so I do and that was fun to play with and enhance guild progress.

In WoD this may not be possible for Mythic content as smiting is nerfed a lot... but in WoD, maybe there will not be any boss requiring so many healers.

Well. Playing a pure shadow was possible in 25, when you have 3-4 priest in your team. Some of them can switch to offspec and you not. With 20, it may be more mandatory to master an healing spec...
    Search for a guild who already have 2-3 priest who can play offspec, so this will be less an issue.

Played a warrior throughout TBC/WotLK and had the same dilemma, while on the warrior I was always asked if I could tank instead of dps, and on the priest if I could heal instead of dps. In the end spent 90% of the time in prot spec instead of fury, and hated it.

You'll have to learn to say no even to good guild mates if you really don't enjoy healing, and yes you could get more invites by offering to take a healer spot if dps is already full. But playing a role you genuinely don't enjoy will burn you out quickly.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Thanks for your feedback!
    As I thought and feared my priest will always stay an alt :'( I don't want to make any compromise with my shadow-only view, yet I want to raid with a competent guild (life's unfair! xD).
    I'll propably stick with my tankadin or I'll see if warlock fits my tastes (did it pre-MoP, now it's just a pile of random spells imho).

<3

Deleted
    Just be good enough compared to the other DPS in your raid so that you're irreplaceable and another hybrid has to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitelulz View Post
    Just be good enough compared to the other DPS in your raid so that you're irreplaceable and another hybrid has to heal.
    That's a very valid point of view! xD

I've been raiding heroics since I've started playing and never ever healed. I've always made it clear from the get go that I'm not interested in healing and that I won't do it, and honestly, I've never run into it being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    I've been raiding heroics since I've started playing and never ever healed. I've always made it clear from the get go that I'm not interested in healing and that I won't do it, and honestly, I've never run into it being an issue.
    What you're saying it's a big relief to me man!
    I've made up my mind: I'll give spriest body and soul (pun intended) and I'll find an ok guild to mythic-raiding in WoD as DPS only Thanks
    alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbz View Post
    Same, never had a problem as long as I prefaced it with I won't heal

Stream: twitch.tv/DryeLuLZ
    Twitter: @Dryeqt

The trick is to be a great DPS AND somehow suck at healing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Besides, Priests aren't the only swing-healers. Most Mythic raids will likely end up with a handful of Druids, Shaman, and Paladins as well who are equally capable (and likely more willing than yourself) to offer to heal. As above, if you don't like healing, don't heal. Most people are reasonable and will respect that decision, though it may slightly limit your chances to get a spot.

I suck at healing, and my group knows this, so they never ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Drye View Post
    Same, never had a problem as long as I prefaced it with I won't heal
    Same here, I've never had to heal in any guild even if we lacked healers.
    ~ stuff, the best thing ~

I've raided shadow since Kara and haven't had to heal one raid. I'm capable of healing, but I play a RDPS, not a healer.

The trick is to make a 2nd Shadow set out of the items you get for offspecc... And then a 3rd one...
    and to be the worst healer the world has ever seen in my case... Never had to heal thankfully
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Deleted
    I have raided through normal MoP with a few hc´s (10 player) and i never healed in my raids. Maybe a couple of times during the hole expansion in raids. I prefare the shadow playstyle a lot more. Just stick to shadow and you will be treated as a regular dps at least in a non hardcore guilds. No one will force you to heal. In the end its all about your fun and enjoyment. I would not like raids where i had 2 heal 50% of all encounters. Go Go shadow ^^.

I have never taken the stance of "I won't heal ever" personally, and as a result I've always had to heal. Every time I've done Juggernaut for instance, it's been as discipline even though I don't really like healing as much. So I'd recommend you make up your mind regarding that little matter before you apply, and then take a rock solid stance^^,
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

If you consider most instant cast heals and cast while on the run heals will be gone, I strongly believe healers will be in great demand. They are making the most thankless role in the game more difficult and even less thankless. With that being said, I am very confident you will be asked to heal quite a bit.