10+ Year Old Account

Powerauras: Melee range?

Hi!

I tried tweaking around on Power Auras lately. I never had my skills visible on my screen but knowing when something procced, I use to have to look at my buffs.
    Power Auras helped me off of that, of course! However, I'm still trying to find a way so that a sword icon appears above my head when I'm in melee range of my target.
    To currently reach that goal, I'm having one skill slot visible: Devastate, which will stop being red when I'm in melee range. I prefer the Powerauras way, though.

And whilst we're at it, is there a way that I can play around with it for, say I'm playing a mage, I could change it to 40 yards and such? ^.^

Thanks in advance,
    yours truly
    Shinela
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

I don't know if PowerAuras allows custom lua triggers like WA does, but ... my advice to you is to use librangecheck to do the "what is the range" rather than trying to implement it yourself. If you want to know why, glance at the code in that library to gain an understanding of the complexity of implementing this yourself.

In short you can't query directly the distance from a given target.
    The above described library will instead test abilities with varying range requirements and see if you are close enough for them or not.
    That will at best give you a lower and upper range estimate, where x ability with 8 yards range can hit, but one with 5 yards cannot.
    Therefore in that hypothetical example you will be somewhere between 5 to 8 yards.

Edit:Wrong way round with the numbers.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-06-14 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Maybe this will help SkeenMelee.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you need a power auras to know when you're in melee range? Haven't you noticed the circle below every single target? That's their melee range. The red tinted circle below any hostile npc is its melee range.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Why do you need a power auras to know when you're in melee range? Haven't you noticed the circle below every single target? That's their melee range. The red tinted circle below any hostile npc is its melee range.
    I have, but unfortunately it's not very true. Considering I can hit some bosses whilst standing twice the distance of the red circle and other bosses having to stand halfway the circle, I got a feeling that this idea on complies within Warcraft III and not within WoW, sadly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    Maybe this will help SkeenMelee.
    Now this is a good one. Sad that I can make it fit my UI, but at least it's something ^.^

To the others here.. Well I didn't think it'd be that difficult but having given the explanation, I do suppose you're quite right. Thank you none the less for helping on this! ^.^
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

If you want to determine only if you're within melee range with a power aura, you could use a conditional like IsSpellInRange("Devastate","target"). Change the spell to Ice Lance or whatever for a mage. You might give RangeDisplay a try as well, you can set up colored indicators for various ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    That is not and has never been true. Targeting reticule doesn't mean anything.